Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Window tints/SCRATCHES

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-17-2002, 11:21 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S500
Window tints/SCRATCHES

I had my dealer tint the windows in my S500, the tint looks great but I have straight vertical scratches from rolling up the window. My friend has similar scratches, is this normal?
Old 04-17-2002, 03:21 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
K Car
I have heard others reporting this on the forum. The solution is to have the tint installer (or someone else) replace the window seals (?) with mole-skin or felt. The OEM Seals seem to be very abrasive.
Old 04-18-2002, 11:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)
There is a MB bulletin, stating that no tint should be applied on certain Class automobiles, which includes the S class.

I called 1-800-FOR-MERC, when I had tint problems re window squeaking on my new 2001 SL.

That's when MB and told me about they recommend against window tinting. The main reason was that in the tint-application process, water may enter the door and interfere with computers/electronics in the doors. The MB dealer's sub who applied it, had to remove the tint from my SL, because MB service said that the squeaks have nothing to do with the window alignment. It's the tight tolerance, that will not accomodate the thickness of the tint without the window squeaking.

When I asked him if he had similar problems with the SL, he said NO, but he found occasional problems with the new S class.

Six months ago, he applied tint on my CLK55. I am happy to report that I have no problems:

No squeaks, no streaks/scratches.
Old 04-18-2002, 11:53 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S500
The amazing thing is when you buy a $80,000 + car you kind of expect that MBUSA/MB to be able to train and update the service advisors properly. I mean there has got to be some profit in the cars.

My brief history between these two parties has me concerned and the love for my car and its performance is much greater than the respect I have for service and aftermarket issues.

My biggest complaints are:

Analog phone MBUSA says there is an upgrade and that all 99 or newer S class have fiber optics.

Advisor says they are worng!

MBUSA says advisor is wrong and she will speak with him.

Advisor said MBUSA is full of sxxx

MBUSA says they were mis-informed and no upgrade is available.

Me to advisor "please tint the windows, but do not make it look ghetto"

Advisor "no problem we have been tinting windows for years and will match the car so the tint looks "factory""

Now you tell me that no tint is supposed to put on the sclass. for reason's that make VERY good sense.

I also had another guy on the board tell me I can upgrade to the startac!

I think MBUSA and the advisors could learn from this message board and all of the experiences people have had.

THANKS for responding!