Diesel Forum Forum for Diesel engine vehicle related discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97 E300 ODB code P1365

Old 02-22-2016, 01:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 E300 Diesel
97 E300 ODB code P1365

Newbie here to the sight and can see this is the mothership of MB help so thanks
In advance to everyone!
I have a 97 E300 with 137k miles
Upon starting cold glow plug light comes on and then turns off as usual to start.
Then when the car starts, it runs great for a second then starts to run rough, smokes and feels like not all cylinders are igniting. Check engine light comes on and check engine electronics big display and sometimes glow light stays on. Checked with Bosch OBD checker and one fault code comes up: "P 1365 mod $08 Sns 'Ambient prs' in ctrl mod
Motor electronics I"
(Before this had mechanic replace "main relay" and "pre glow relay" within last 6k miles due to other incidences of check engine light.)
After starting I just push on the pedal and drive it and the smoke stops and the car drives fine with warning lights still on. Usually glow plug light goes out.
Anyone have an idea what I would need to do for this? Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails 97 E300 ODB code P1365-image.jpeg  
Old 02-22-2016, 03:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
You may receive some useful information from here:- http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/...any-ideas.html
Old 02-22-2016, 03:42 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
Originally Posted by Bob17
Newbie here to the sight and can see this is the mothership of MB help so thanks
In advance to everyone!
I have a 97 E300 with 137k miles
Upon starting cold glow plug light comes on and then turns off as usual to start.
Then when the car starts, it runs great for a second then starts to run rough, smokes and feels like not all cylinders are igniting. Check engine light comes on and check engine electronics big display and sometimes glow light stays on. Checked with Bosch OBD checker and one fault code comes up: "P 1365 mod $08 Sns 'Ambient prs' in ctrl mod
Motor electronics I"
(Before this had mechanic replace "main relay" and "pre glow relay" within last 6k miles due to other incidences of check engine light.)
After starting I just push on the pedal and drive it and the smoke stops and the car drives fine with warning lights still on. Usually glow plug light goes out.
Anyone have an idea what I would need to do for this? Thanks!
Your problem is the brand of scannar you are using---the P1365 is not a P fault listed for your engine therefore impossible to cross reference.

The other issue is the cryptic message posted--very hard to translate to a diesel system and or sensor that makes sense. Plus MB diesels don't have ECU's called Motor Electronics--that's gasser terminology--yours is either IFI or DFI!!

Last edited by Plutoe; 02-22-2016 at 03:45 PM.
Old 02-22-2016, 04:14 PM

1997 E300 Diesel
Thank you Carsy and Plutoe I will try a different ODB checker. Man, I thought the Bosch one would be more compatible with a German car.
Old 02-25-2016, 04:35 PM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
1997 E300D
P1365 is the trouble code for a bad glow plug on cylinder 1 or 2. I believe this code is unique to the 97 diesel engine. For your information, P1367 is for cylinders 3 & 4, while P1369 is for cylinders 5&6. Changing glow plugs on this engine is not easy. It is possible to reach 3 &4 by just removing the crossover pipe, but the others require the intake manifold to be removed. That is no big deal, but these pencil type plugs tend to stick in the aluminum head, and if you break one off it must be drilled out by someone with the right tools and experience. They should be removed with the engine hot. The previous owner of my car had the shop break 3 in my engine. I have had the dealer replace all 6 when one failed, and I have done this twice. I only got about 4 years on Bosch plugs, so I used Beru the last time. I have heard they are less likely to break off. The carbon in the head should be reamed out with a glow plug reamer, and the new plugs should be covered with anti-seize, except for the tip.
Old 02-26-2016, 12:42 AM

1997 E300 Diesel
Thanks Nelbur. Another 97 E300 driver..cool.
I just stopped at our local north seattle mercedes wrecking yard and was
recommended to find a good diesel mechanic. I was given the name of a croatian
Guy up in snohomish county and he was awesome. He diagnosed my car as needing
New glow plugs. He replaced all six and now my trusty blackie runs perfect. Next thing need to replace several light bulbs, my heater/ac fan (relay?), rear brake pads and so on.