MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   Diesel Forum (https://mbworld.org/forums/diesel-forum-76/)
-   -   C220CDI (https://mbworld.org/forums/diesel-forum/346967-c220cdi.html)

NewtwoMB 04-15-2010 04:42 PM

C220CDI

Hi everyone,

Anyone have a way of quietening the injector rattle from my 2009 C220? It has a special hi density foam cover beneath the engine cover but there may be additional ideas of suppressing the rattle? I love the car and the torque and all that stuff, but the noise around town, moving slow in traffic is just unacceptable. Sorry to criticise but its just too much!

Ausmbtech 04-15-2010 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by NewtwoMB (Post 4033656)
Hi everyone,

Anyone have a way of quietening the injector rattle from my 2009 C220? It has a special hi density foam cover beneath the engine cover but there may be additional ideas of suppressing the rattle? I love the car and the torque and all that stuff, but the noise around town, moving slow in traffic is just unacceptable. Sorry to criticise but its just too much!

If it's really bothering you then you could try and add a second sheet of bonnet insulation, but I doubt you will be able to quieten it down much, it makes that noise regardless.......it's a diesel!

Carsy 04-17-2010 05:47 AM

I like the sound of the diesel engine under load & at idle.It certainly does not sound like a Honda or Toyota Celica thank goodness.

In my opinion it is not intrusive with the windows up. The engine is fairly well soundproofed as it is, with as you say, sound insulation under the engine , the firewall cocoon , over the injectors & the engine cover , not to mention the bonnet interior cover.

Foam ear plugs may be the cheapest & most effective answer.

Good luck.

NewtwoMB 07-19-2011 12:19 PM

Noisy diesels

I've just found a sound deadening kit that includes a lead lined blanket for the engine. They do custom kits for most cars. And sorry I don't agree that the sound is not audible with the windows closed - only with the sound system turned up!

Its only round town that I find it objectionable, and, sorry, after 40,000 miles I still haven't got used to it!

thejackel 07-19-2011 01:45 PM

all diesals are noisy, you can turn up the idle a bit and make sure to let your glow plus cycle up you also might have a exhaust leak reducing back pressure i know nothing of benz i work on heavy equipment volvo cat cummins ......... turn up the radio lol

Carsy 07-19-2011 04:52 PM

Hello NewtoMB,

Hope the new sound insulation does the job for you. You may have to test drive your next car more carefully to see whether the noise level suits you. I have read that the newer diesels are more refined noise wise.

In my opinion, all the benifits a diesel engine brings easily outway a little noise at idle & low speed. In fact I like it. I have driven a diesel car for 17 years now & would never go back to petrol.

edwinwalke 07-20-2011 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by NewtwoMB (Post 4033656)
Hi everyone,

My 06 E320 CDI is almost as quiet as my wifes C320 Gas. I do hear a little diesel knock occasionally but it is not disturbing at all. You may want to look at the fuel you are using. What cetane is it. Do you use the same brand all the time -- if so change to a different brand and see it that helps. Higher cetane fuel will help reduce the knock. You can also try an additive to raise the cetane. Total makes one that should be available in the UK.