Sponsored by:

97 E300D Rough idle and stalls out

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 09:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E300 D
97 E300D Rough idle and stalls out

I had my plastic fuel lines crossed by an indie shop on my 97 E300D. I fixed that and replaced all of my o-rings some time ago with the ones at fryer.
All leaking is gone, all air is gone. This was 6 m ago?
Anyhow, I have some new issues> my benz starts just fine, but vibrates bad in idle. It gets better when it is warm (it seems) and it gets better when in Drive and my foot on the brake. Once I am going, it smooths up pretty good. When I am on the highway at 65 it seems pretty smooth. I have been out of town and my wife drives the car. She has had it die on her about 3-4 times. I always was like ya ya, I will fix it when I get home. AS it never happens to me. Somehow believed it was her driving. On the way home from the airport I was trucking down the freeway at 55 or so, and as I was nearing my exit, I got off the throttle, all the lights ETS, Brake, engine, etc. turned on, I threw it in neutral and tried to restart it without luck. I pulled over, put it in park, and it started. So, it seems to die while driving about once a week. So I got to get this sorted. The car now has 108K, original vibration shocks on engine, and original engine mounts. No signs of diesel, and it doesn't have a diesel smell. I think the rough vibrating idle and the stall are from the same issue. So, I don't want to jump out and install motor mounts and the Engine shock, as these two items wouldn't cause the car to stall?? What direction should I focus on ??

Thanks,

Bill
Old 05-06-2010, 03:24 AM

cheaper than a benz...
i would check the k40 relay box, its in the pass side box with the engine module, any codes???
Old 05-06-2010, 03:26 AM

cheaper than a benz...
have you replaced fuel filters lately?
Old 05-06-2010, 09:26 AM

E300 D
no codes, new filters

Originally Posted by fixbenz
have you replaced fuel filters lately?
The short version > yes all filters are new.

When it stalls out every light on the dash comes on. After starting all the lights go back off. The other thing, when I first turned it over it didn't start. My wife said wait a minute, (experience). After about 30 sec. I tried and it fired up.

About 6 months ago, changed out plastic lines and all o-rings (fryer vitons) and all filters. Also T.Allision helped me figure out that 2 of my fuel lines were crossed. The car drove but didn't have much power. The car felt like someone installed a turbo. A indie shop crossed them about a year before.

I have no complaints when the car is moving 65-80 down the freeway. At idle the car is so rough that my review mirror is rattling.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
09' E320
Sounds like an intermittent K40 relay; loses power causing the shutoff valve to close. Circut board gets minute cracks in printed pathways. After a couple turns of the key the circut completes and it fires up again. Pretty classic.

Front most relay inside the computer box. 10 mins to swap out.
Old 05-06-2010, 06:00 PM

E300 D
K40

Today I took off my serpentine belt, and ran the engine. The vibration improved a bit inside the car. The noise outside the car was much better. I checked that all pulleys ran free without binding. I put the belt back on and the noise was actually worse than before. The nailing is loud. If i put a screw driver between the spring and the shock the noise stops.

So, now I will buy a K40 relay and the Shock.

Bill
Old 05-06-2010, 06:51 PM

E300 D
Is there two different pulley set ups for these W210 E300D. I found a link where they are talking about a change in alternator pulley. So it uses a different part for the shock. What is the latest and greatest regarding this link? http://mercedesforum.com/forum/archi...p/t-16044.html

Bill