New diesels for Mercedes?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 08:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 E320 CDi, 2008 3/4 Ton Suburban, 2007 "rice rickshaw" Accord 5 speed
Big mistake Mr. Lieb

Please give us more horses for the same money. You can do that by ordering your underlings to reflash all the diesel computers. It does not cost you anything. Power to the people!!!
Old 10-11-2011, 08:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2015 C63S
The computer? I read the engine in the ML and S makes more power due to a build difference in the engine. I think it had to do with the block and was done for emissions reasons but also resulted in more power. But I am someone shopping for a car right now and even before I went and looked at the E again I was having big issues with it having less power than the M and S. I personally felt the thing best get discounted because I'd been PISSED if I bought the E today then next model year it gets what the M and S have today.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2018 BMW 540d
Originally Posted by harkgar
Please give us more horses for the same money. You can do that by ordering your underlings to reflash all the diesel computers. It does not cost you anything. Power to the people!!!
You would think that MB would do that particularly given BMW's 265hp/425 ft lbs torque diesel that they offer here.My 3 Series diesel had that engine and it was outstanding.If I wasn't so lazy I'd check to see the specs of the diesels that MB offers in Europe....I'll bet they're more powerful there.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
It really depends on what MB decides. VW offers the 2.0 TDI with and without. In the Jetta it does not have the AdBlue system. In the Passat, VW chose to use the AdBlue system. Same engine, just one with, and, one without. Interestngly, the larger, heavier, Passat WITH the AdBlue system has higher EPA ratings than the Jetta. The AdBlue injection allows for even more precise tuning of the combustion cycles. MB could go either way with the small 4 banger as well. We will just have to wait and see. I would love to have a loaded C with this engine. Based soley from my experience with my E350 Bluetec's 40+ highway mileage, I would expect a C class with the 2.1 diesel to get much closer to 50. I had a 2005 Passat diesel (2.0 L) and got mid to h high 40's on the highway. I would expect a C with this engine to be similar.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:19 PM

2015 C63S
For the Passat I read that VW used DEF because the heavier weight of the car causing stronger load on the engine and they were unable to make it pass the needed emissions without having DEF. But as you noted by adding the DEF it has actually made the mpg better in the Passat than the Jetta. I'd be rather surprised if a C Blutec came stateside and did not end up using DEF since it is a pretty sturdy car and I am just assuming kind of heavy.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
06 E320 CDI (GONE), 14 Jeep GC EcoDiesel, 01 Disco II (GONE), 09 BMW X3 3.0 Si Xdrive
Originally Posted by Snipe656
The computer? I read the engine in the ML and S makes more power due to a build difference in the engine. I think it had to do with the block and was done for emissions reasons but also resulted in more power. But I am someone shopping for a car right now and even before I went and looked at the E again I was having big issues with it having less power than the M and S. I personally felt the thing best get discounted because I'd been PISSED if I bought the E today then next model year it gets what the M and S have today.
MB uses twin‑wire arc spraying echnology. http://www.daimler.com/dccom/0-5-658...0-0-0-0-0.html
Old 10-12-2011, 09:08 PM

2015 C63S
Originally Posted by isstay
MB uses twin‑wire arc spraying echnology. http://www.daimler.com/dccom/0-5-658...0-0-0-0-0.html
Thanks, obviously did not remember the exact details but at least remembered it was not just something as simple as a computer programming difference for the added power.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Maybe so. Whatever the reasons are for the significant jump in power and torque they are likely to be simple changes. MB has a habit of using up old engine and transmission stocks, only gradually installing the new stuff in newer models. I have noticed that the W211 E350 station wagons got the old 5 speed transmissions when it initially came out. Only later versions got the 7G transmission. BMW had declared that the 300 bhp 535d is coming out with the M5 in late 2012. Mercedes would have to hurry and match the numbers!
Old 10-12-2011, 10:15 PM

2015 C63S
Maybe so. Whatever the reasons are for the significant jump in power and torque they are likely to be simple changes. MB has a habit of using up old engine and transmission stocks, only gradually installing the new stuff in newer models. I have noticed that the W211 E350 station wagons got the old 5 speed transmissions when it initially came out. Only later versions got the 7G transmission. BMW had declared that the 300 bhp 535d is coming out with the M5 in late 2012. Mercedes would have to hurry and match the numbers!
I have read mixed things about the upcoming "M5" diesel. For example some say it will be 300fwhp and some say a lot more. I have seen nothing from BMW itself that confirms or denies things. Mercedes back in 2008 or 2009 said in 2012 AMG diesel would be out. It was code named Super Hammer and can easily find postings online about it but they all date back to 2008 or 2009 with nothing newer and just like with BMW nothing direct from Mercedes talking about. My guess is the AMG diesel was dropped but who really knows for sure. If I thought for one second that an AMG diesel is just 1-2 years away then I'd be holding off on my current purchase plans to wait for that. I am not going to wait for any possible make/models since too many times I have read about upcoming diesel cars that never surfaced.

I am sure though that the existing 535d, not sold in the states, is a ton faster and more responsive than the E350 and even if the E350 had the new Blutec for added power. The two brands though really seem to tailor their cars for different types of buyers.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 ML BLUETEC JULY 31
You could be right Dougie Bear. I was trying to make the point that historically MB would only move when kicked in the butt by other makes - by Lexus with the Special class and now with the BMW diesel offerings. There is no reason at all why MB gives the new S350 Bluetec and ML 350 Bluetec both 240 bhp & 455 torque while deliberately offering the lower power engines in its E, GL and R series diesels. I would feel very aggrieved if I am shopping for a diesel car and seeing that MB is trying to short-change its customers in the power department. Why is MB driving its loyal customers to Audi and BMW instead of turning the wick up by adjusting the computer?
FYI

Delays are do to crash testing costs etc Any big change like a motor will need to be re-certified.
The cost to certify a vehicle/engine for a year or two of production is too high.
R is likely to be discontinued and E is a few years old in design but perhaps at refresh they will put it in. GL due next year with redesign will for sure have new spec diesel. GLK 2013 will have 4cyl diesel at it refresh.

2013 there is a GLOBAL STANDARD developed diesel emission.
The Manufacturers are ALL waiting till then as costs will drop as engine specs and development cost can then be GLOBAL. 1 world 1 engine
Hope this helps everyone
Old 11-01-2011, 08:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by dougiebear
FYI

Delays are do to crash testing costs etc Any big change like a motor will need to be re-certified.
The cost to certify a vehicle/engine for a year or two of production is too high.
R is likely to be discontinued and E is a few years old in design but perhaps at refresh they will put it in. GL due next year with redesign will for sure have new spec diesel. GLK 2013 will have 4cyl diesel at it refresh.

2013 there is a GLOBAL STANDARD developed diesel emission.
The Manufacturers are ALL waiting till then as costs will drop as engine specs and development cost can then be GLOBAL. 1 world 1 engine
Hope this helps everyone
I hope you are right Dougie Bear. I still miss the carefree old diesel engines without urea injection, even the black smoke blowing W123 series. Diesel engines are supposed to be simple, durable and cheap to maintain and run forever. With the environmentalist crusade, such a combination is doomed. Why would anyone buy a diesel to save a few bucks only to blow away the fuel savings in topping up the urea fluids? Indestructible iron block engines are replaced with alloys and electronics are programmed for breakdowns (when the urea runs out the engine will not start) and all those tree-hugging diesel particulate filters (at least three in each car) will break down just when your warranty is over and your Mercedes is worth less than its residual value. What are your options? Sell, junk or give away??? The good old days for diesel engines ARE OVER.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:36 PM

2015 C63S
Urea(DEF) fluid is cheaply priced and lasts well enough. It certainly is not adding some significant costs to the fuel side of things. Heck it even increases the fuel economy on the newer diesels for example the TDI Passat gets better fuel economy than the TDI Jetta. Same engines, urea used on the Passat though.

Now what I never have quite gathered is the urea helping fuel economy simply because of some other overcomplicated emissions system that is needed.

What worries me is when these complicated systems break and we all know things break with time. I think these systems is what kills the longevity of the new diesels more than anything else. People just aren't going to sink tons of tons for repairs on these motors after they put on a good bit of miles. I see on the BMW forums with their diesels routine issues with DEF crystalizing and sensor issues as well with the DEF system. Actually have wondered if this is specific to that make or something common the the DEF systems in general.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Urea(DEF) fluid is cheaply priced and lasts well enough. It certainly is not adding some significant costs to the fuel side of things. Heck it even increases the fuel economy on the newer diesels for example the TDI Passat gets better fuel economy than the TDI Jetta. Same engines, urea used on the Passat though.

Now what I never have quite gathered is the urea helping fuel economy simply because of some other overcomplicated emissions system that is needed.

What worries me is when these complicated systems break and we all know things break with time. I think these systems is what kills the longevity of the new diesels more than anything else. People just aren't going to sink tons of tons for repairs on these motors after they put on a good bit of miles. I see on the BMW forums with their diesels routine issues with DEF crystalizing and sensor issues as well with the DEF system. Actually have wondered if this is specific to that make or something common the the DEF systems in general.
Gotta love the EPA....
Old 11-01-2011, 08:48 PM

2015 C63S
Originally Posted by scootr29
Gotta love the EPA....
Very true, after years of buying diesels I actually think my BMW is the last new one I will buy. Actually been shopping replacement cars to get into something bigger and not even considering a diesel at this point and looking at gassers. Not to imply I have had problems with the BMW, I just have watched people debate all these emissions systems and keep thinking no way any of these cars will last 20+ years like my 300SD parked next to that BMW.