Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diesel - 2007 E320 -Too Much Oil Wont Start

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 06:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diesel - 2007 E320 -Too Much Oil Wont Start

this is time sensitive, customer waiting for a car....ugh.

two of my mechanics worked on the same car and didn't know it. they each filled the car with new oil, so doubled the amount in it.

Customer took car and said is started smoking 10 minutes later.

brought car in, drained all oil, refilled it properly, but then car would only crank over and NOT start.

After a few minutes of trying, burned out starter. replaced starter.

Tried starting car, but DOESN'T CRANK OVER NOW?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance...
Old 09-26-2012, 07:31 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
You will no doubt go through another starter plus battery trying to get the oil out of the cylinders!!

You will also have to worry that you may have ruined the DPF,not to mention the EGR system that's another 1200 bucks.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
09' E320
I'd cross post this to teh Tech Forum too.

Might have popped a fuse while continually cranking?
Old 09-26-2012, 07:39 PM

researching online dug up lots of info about EGR may be the problem for the starting problem. Can anyone give me anymore info on what else may need to be looked at in addition with the EGR?
Old 09-26-2012, 07:43 PM

UPDATE:
car is cranking, but not starting.
the message coming up when connected to the machine says "Fuel Pressure Rails"??
I am familiar with EGR, however, what is the acronym DPF stand for?
Old 09-26-2012, 08:41 PM

09' E320
DPF is diesel particulate filter.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
things with and without wheels
2 questions,
1. why did the customer bring in the car?
2. does it have fuel?
Old 09-27-2012, 12:45 AM

1) customer brought car in for an oil change.
2) car had 3/4 tank
Old 09-27-2012, 04:35 AM

'97 E320
If you want to do the customer right, take it to a dealer and pull out your checkbook. Overfilling the motor with that much oil could have easily blown out some seals/gaskets. Just being able to get it restarted and sending them on their way would not be the most scrupulous thing to do at this point
Old 09-27-2012, 09:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

things with and without wheels
When you crank the engine does it crank over faster then before?
If it does then I would guess that the valves are bent from hydrolock, check compression.
if you pumped oil through the intake and exhaust system, then it all has to get cleaned up.
The DPF on heavy duty applications can be removed and serviced, i'm not sure about yours , maybe someone can chime in and give more info.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by stickygreen
If you want to do the customer right, take it to a dealer and pull out your checkbook. Overfilling the motor with that much oil could have easily blown out some seals/gaskets. Just being able to get it restarted and sending them on their way would not be the most scrupulous thing to do at this point
It never crossed my mind "just" to get it started and send them on their way. Experience from racing Motocross, and fixing my own bike as a kid taught me that. Thank you for your input stickygreen.

Last edited by DarnDreams; 09-27-2012 at 01:58 PM.
Old 09-27-2012, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by RobertG
When you crank the engine does it crank over faster then before?
If it does then I would guess that the valves are bent from hydrolock, check compression.
if you pumped oil through the intake and exhaust system, then it all has to get cleaned up.
The DPF on heavy duty applications can be removed and serviced, i'm not sure about yours , maybe someone can chime in and give more info.
1) the engine cranks over at the same speed. checked compression and it's strong.
2) DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter)? My strength is working on gasoline Mercedes, but more and more customers are coming in with Diesels and are desperate for help (I'll be signing up for a Diesel class ASAP). I'm not familiar with DPF, or know where it's located. Will start doing some online searches.
Old 09-28-2012, 02:11 AM

'97 E320
Glad to see youre looking to fix it right.

If it was smoking, then oil was being combusted and it could have possibly damaged the DPF, which is a rather expensive part. For these cars, special 229.51 low ash long drain oils are specified so that the little amount of oil burned will not plug the DPF with ash. I can't imagine the finicky emissions system would be able to withstand a large amount of oil soot going through it, especially if the standard 229.5 spec Mobil 1 0w40 was used instead of the 229.51 spec M1 ESP 5w40 or 5w30.

If the fuel rail pressure code is coming up, is it possible that oil was splashed up onto the injector tips, and therefore partially clogged the injectors and causing higher than normal fuel pressure?

Probably would start by pulling the glow plugs and/or injectors to take a look into the cylinders, just to see what things look like in there.
Old 09-28-2012, 01:31 PM

06 E320 CDI (GONE), 14 Jeep GC EcoDiesel, 01 Disco II (GONE), 09 BMW X3 3.0 Si Xdrive
You cannot plug the fuel injector w/oil simply because of the high pressure in the fuel delivery system, plus even if could this will not affect fuel rail pressure that has built in Pressure Regulator Valve. This valve adjusts fuel rail pressure to the preset number in CDI3 control module by opening and letting some of the fuel to go back to the tank. OP does not specify if he gets high or low fuel pressure error, thus all been said is only guess.
Yes, DPF can be damage by excessive amount of oil and is quite costly but if have to buy one ask for one that comes w/all sensors attached. It cost almost half price compare to the bare one (at least this is the situation for ML 6600$ vs. 3700$).