Sponsored by:

2014 Bluetec diesel clatter

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 10:04 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
GL350
2014 Bluetec diesel clatter

I have a 2014 GL350 Bluetec. When I first took delivery, the engine was almost silent, at least as far as traditional diesel clatter is concerned. I only have 1100 miles on the vehicle now, but it seems that there is now just a tiny bit of diesel clatter. Do these motors get noisy with age, even just 1100 miles?
Old 09-12-2013, 09:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
First, define noisy. As you get used to any car, you start to notice noises. Are you hearing the diesel clatter with the windows up or down? Is it during acceleration with windows up or down? There is always going to be a tiny amount of diesel clatter, as it is after all, a diesel. I have an S350, and, I do hear the diesel sometimes, just a tiny amount, and, only if I am listening for it with the radio off. I also had an E350 Bluetec. Neither one got "noisier" with age.
Old 09-12-2013, 07:41 PM

GL350
As mentioned, a tiny bit of clatter is what I'm now hearing...can't put a decibel reading on it. Sorry. And just when standing outside the car.
Old 09-13-2013, 11:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

That you can hear a small amount of diesel clatter when standing outside the car is perfectly normal. Just don't baby it. It is a diesel. Enjoy driving it.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:50 PM

GL350
Originally Posted by ImInPA
That you can hear a small amount of diesel clatter when standing outside the car is perfectly normal. Just don't baby it. It is a diesel. Enjoy driving it.
I think you missed the point. I didn't hear any clatter when the car was brand new, but now with only 1100 miles on it I can hear a tiny bit. It's not a matter of babying the car. I'm just wondering if diesel clatter, at least to some point, increases with mileage.
Old 09-14-2013, 07:13 PM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
1997 E300D
My guess is it has to do with the quality of fuel being used. Low cetane fuel is more noisey than high cetane fuel. The addition of a cetane improving additive might quieten it down as it does to my old E 300 D.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I think you are missing the point. It is a diesel. If you think there is something wrong, then take your car to the dealer or a mechanic. It is perfectly normal to hear some diesel clatter when standing outside of a diesel equipped vehicle. What you describe sounds perfectly normal to me. That you did not notice it when new is more of a personal issue than a technical malfunction, however, if you are concerned, see a mechanic.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
06 SLK55, 22 EQS450
I've noticed all 3 of my CDIs get noisy with age. My '06 CDI with 67,000 miles was noisier than when we first got it. But nothing so obtrusive that it sounds like something is wrong with it. Hope this helps.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:57 PM

GL350
Originally Posted by vegeta
Hope this helps.
Constructive comments always help. Thanks.
Old 09-19-2013, 11:13 AM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
1997 E300D
I have a neighbor with an '05 E diesel, that sometimes makes more noise than at other times. I have assumed it depended on the fuel he was using, however, it could have to do with something like injector performance. As I understand it, the quiet is achieved by injecting a spritz of fuel in early to start the fire so it is burning when the main charge is injected. Perhaps a poor spray pattern would bring on noise, and perhaps a good cleaner would be helpful. This is obviously just speculation.

Last edited by nelbur; 09-19-2013 at 07:25 PM.
Old 09-19-2013, 06:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 GLK250 BlueTEC, 2012 BMW 335is Conv.
Originally Posted by Dog hauler
I have a 2014 GL350 Bluetec. When I first took delivery...
When was that? I'm guessing July or August. Two of the hottest months of the year above the equator. Now it's September and temperatures are cooling a little. Temperature affects density of air and air is obviously used in combustion. Maybe the air is causing you to notice a small difference in engine noise?

I test drove a GLK250 in July and again in August. Each time I noticed a small amount of diesel clatter when standing outside the car, exactly as you are describing happens with your car now. I would never expect any combustion engine--and certainly not a diesel--to be silent.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Temperature and fuel have the most effect on diesels. With cooler temps, diesels tend to be noisier. I once started my S350 in New Hampshire at -4 F. It sounded like a Cummins Diesel until it warmed up. Keep in mind that diesels are built much stronger than gasoline engines.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 GLK 250
I have to agree with Balticgreen on this one. I took delivery of my 2014 in August. Being my first Diesel, i was instantly aware of the clatter, but i have grown a fondness to it. I have noticed that as the mornings have gotten cooler that clatter increases until it warms up a bit. but nothing of concern to me. My 14 has 2k+ Miles on it for comparison.
Old 09-24-2013, 11:16 AM

'13 ML350 Bluetec, '16 Subaru Legacy; '94 Toyota Pickup
I got my ML350 Bluetec at the end of Feb 2013 and was disappointed in how quiet the engine was. Since then I've driven about 4,500 miles and I have to say the clatter does seem louder over the time I've had it. I haven't been concerned about it as I love hearing the sound. It still runs great.
Old 10-03-2013, 06:03 PM

2006 ml350
The general tone of the initial message - paraphrasing; just a tiny bit of diesel clatter at 1100 miles; does this engine get noisier with age...

This does not sound like a mechanical issue, but it does scream a payment book issue.

Let me explain, as a former service manager I have found that, generally, when a new owner comes in with a mysterious noise, a subtle change in characteristic or general dissatisfaction of a non descript nature the problem is not with the vehicle, but the payment book. I do not discount any real defects when I state this - those need to be addressed and repaired.

This hypothesis is usually confirmed when the individual states that at XXX dollars per month you should make a better vehicle or for XX,XXXX dollars this Mercedes should not do...

The fact that it was perceived as absolutely silent initially is irrelevant since all diesels make some perceptible noise, period. That they have just become aware of this and only when standing outside is just ridiculous to call this a "clatter".
Old 10-03-2013, 09:12 PM

GL350
Originally Posted by u001elg
The general tone of the initial message - paraphrasing; just a tiny bit of diesel clatter at 1100 miles; does this engine get noisier with age...

This does not sound like a mechanical issue, but it does scream a payment book issue.

Let me explain, as a former service manager I have found that, generally, when a new owner comes in with a mysterious noise, a subtle change in characteristic or general dissatisfaction of a non descript nature the problem is not with the vehicle, but the payment book. I do not discount any real defects when I state this - those need to be addressed and repaired.

This hypothesis is usually confirmed when the individual states that at XXX dollars per month you should make a better vehicle or for XX,XXXX dollars this Mercedes should not do...

The fact that it was perceived as absolutely silent initially is irrelevant since all diesels make some perceptible noise, period. That they have just become aware of this and only when standing outside is just ridiculous to call this a "clatter".
Wow. All that from a question as to whether diesels get noisier as they age. Very impressive.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:26 PM

'13 ML350 Bluetec, '16 Subaru Legacy; '94 Toyota Pickup

u001elg the idea of a service manager who does psychoanalysis on customers, and perceives "general tones", bothers me. Either something is or is not wrong with the car.
I think Dog hauler has asked a legitimate question. I found it interesting enough to comment with my experience.
Old 10-04-2013, 06:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan

Old 10-04-2013, 01:15 PM

2006 ml350
Vincecam...

Hence the statement, " I do not discount any real defects when I state this - those need to be addressed and repaired."

The point that I was making is that all diesel engines make some perceptible noise and it is not unusual for a customer to not initially observe this condition. However, they become keenly aware of any suspect condition once they monetary reality sets in...

Case in point from many years ago was a brand new Allante purchased at the dealership I was working at; the customer was initially enamored with the vehicle and touted it as superior to any BMW, Mercedes or Porsche. Shortly after the payments started he became incensed about an engine noise that was just not right. The foreman and myself could not find any unusual condition.

The customer and I went on a drive together to have the noise identified and it turned out to be the normal noise that the fuel injectors make when firing. He found this condition and my explanation unacceptable. The concern was escalated to the GM divisional field manager and he concurred with the diagnosis - but in the interest of customer satisfaction he had me test drive several other Allante's with the customer to validate that this is a normal condition. Nothing would assuage the customers fear that imminent engine failure was about to happen. The entire fuel injection system from common fuel rail through return line was replaced at the customers request (and GM approval to prevent the involvement of arbitration) to no avail.

The common theme through all of this was that a car that costs greater than $50,000 should not make this kind of noise and I am paying almost 750/month for a defective car.

GM eventually bought the vehicle back to satisfy the customer.

In summary, there was absolutely no defect with the vehicle - the problem was solely with the payment book and the fact that the customer could not afford the vehicle.

The customer purchased an other vehicle from the dealership that was within their means and our Service relationship blossomed to eventually have their entire family and business purchase and maintain their vehicles with us.
Old 10-04-2013, 04:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
Good story. Would be surprised if DH fits into this category.
Old 10-06-2013, 01:17 PM

'98 S320 & '12 S350 BlueTec
I have put over a million miles combined on the 3 diesel Mercedes that I'be owned and they have all sounded like diesels as technology has quietened them cosiderably. I am a believer in using Amsoil Diesel Concentrate as well as Cetane Boost additives at a rate of 1 oz. of each per 5 gallons of fuel used, added prior to filling tank. Diesel fuel quality isn't what it was years ago as sulfur is now 15 parts per million in ULSD formulation and now it may contain as much as 5% biodiesel which makes fuel additives essential to counteract the side effects of all the above. Someone from Illinois stated. in a post that 15% biodiesel is commonplace there and included photos of a carbon blocked EGR part and almost an $800 repair bill which was 85% labor. Pay me now or pay me later comes to mind when proven additives would at least delay the carbon deposits for a longer period of time. Clean diesels leave behind in the engine and DPF what doesn't spew into the atmosphere as in days of old. Injection pumps used to get natural lubrication from the higher content of sulfur in the pre 2007 fuel. Keeping injectors clean is the best way to hear the least noise while getting the best performance and consistent fuel economy from today's sulphur starved clean diesels. Old diesels weren't designed for ULSD diesel fuel and their injection pumps need additives even more.
The following users liked this post:
Randy gl 320 (01-27-2018)
Old 02-09-2014, 10:04 PM

2013 ML BLUETEC JULY 31
ANSWER !!!
In General NO they don't
I started listening harder as I missed the detonation sound at compression.
Oh yes there it is
Amazing engine 60,000KM 14 months
Many of the things mentioned do change sounds
But again NO
Old 03-03-2014, 07:59 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
84 300d 2009 e320 bluetec

I have no payment book for my Bluetec and do notice a difference in diesel noise. I have no correlation on why it's noiser some times. Same local diesel station is used for fuel. Same road and near constant temperture in So. Cal. Sometime it is noiser after being fully warmed, sometime very quiet.

Last edited by dave2001auto; 03-06-2014 at 03:14 PM.
Old 08-10-2014, 10:01 AM

2011 E350 Bluetech
I have an 11 E350 Bluetec. I had the oil changed a few weeks ago and noticed the clatter seemed quieter. After a short period of driving, I now notice the clatter more. Oil in the diesel gets black and feels kinda gritty quickly....I think that adds to the clatter. When I use fuel additive to boost cetane and add lubricity, it seems to quiet down slightly.
Old 03-29-2018, 01:02 PM

2000 S500
I have a 08 E320 with 160k miles with all service up to date. When I first bought the car until about 5k miles ago, the engine has been really quiet for a diesel. lately, I'm noticing that the engine noise is getting louder. It's starting to really sound like an older diesel engine.

I noticed it at both idling and accelerating. It's just a little bit louder than usual at idle, but when I accelerate, it really sounds like an older diesel engine, much louder than before. I've tried different fuel sources with no luck.

The car still runs great, no codes or anything.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: 2014 Bluetec diesel clatter