MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   Diesel Forum (https://mbworld.org/forums/diesel-forum-76/)
-   -   AdBlue Heater Failure IS COVERED under emissions warranty (https://mbworld.org/forums/diesel-forum/615996-adblue-heater-failure-covered-under-emissions-warranty.html)

torrenti 02-17-2016 10:22 AM

AdBlue Heater Failure IS COVERED under emissions warranty

Hello!

I am intentionally starting a new thread to help people like me who painfully searched this topic for hours and hours with few definitive answers.

At 39,505 miles (just out of MFW) our 2013 Mercedes Sprinter 2500's AdBlue Heater failed (02/04/2016). After doing research via the internet and other people's experience we were convinced we would have to fork out the $1800-$2200 to get it fixed because of the fancy wording of the Emissions Warranty.

HOWEVER, I went and spoke to the Service Department and that is not the case. The system is covered under the Federal Emissions Warranty, plus the heater is part of the tank (which is explicitly cited in the warranty as well).

They did not even need coaxing. It was no questions asked, $0.00, new heater and a DEF system flush with all new DEF. DONE. My recommendation to anyone who has this issue is to visit the dealer in person and talk with them face-to-face. They are always inundated and dealing with customers on the phone is not their strong suit (at least not our dealer).

You may not get as lucky, and might have to argue a bit but it IS COVERED so don't give up. :wwf:

marc hanna 02-17-2016 10:54 PM

That should cover DPFs too.

bpub01 02-19-2016 05:47 PM

Adblue Heater IS COVERED

Thank you so much for this post torrenti!! Same problem here. Took my 2013 Sprinter 2500 in for new brakes at 66,000 miles, and to check engine light. Brakes were $564 dollars. These new systems on cars are now designed so the rotors and pad wear identically, so you get more miles on a set of brakes, but you also have to replace rotors at the same time. Start your savings account now, since you are only at 35,000 miles.

The check engine light was of course the Adblue heater in the DEF tank. Yup, $1,700 just for the "part" and of course there will be labor charges on top of that. Mine is a Mercedes, so I also called the local Freightliner dealer, because they can do "Non-Warranty" work on them. Cost of the new DEF tank $1,500 plus $360 for labor. I asked them to also price replace the "heater only", and wouldn't you just know it, they only replace the tank, because the heater is part of it.
I pulled out my 2013 Mercedes Sprinter Warranty book, and sure enough, under the Emissions Warranty, it states the DEF tank is covered and the DEF tank is described with parentheses (With Temperature Sensor and Fluid Level Gauge). I'm going back and make them fix it.
Additionally, your one other follower of this post stated "They should cover DPFs as well". One of the items covered in the Emissions Warranty is the "Diesel Oxidation Catalyst (and/or Diesel Particular Filter)" I'm assuming that's what "DPF" stands for.

Dannykru18 02-15-2018 12:34 PM

def heater

Originally Posted by torrenti (Post 6710476)
Hello!

I am intentionally starting a new thread to help people like me who painfully searched this topic for hours and hours with few definitive answers.

At 39,505 miles (just out of MFW) our 2013 Mercedes Sprinter 2500's AdBlue Heater failed (02/04/2016). After doing research via the internet and other people's experience we were convinced we would have to fork out the $1800-$2200 to get it fixed because of the fancy wording of the Emissions Warranty.

HOWEVER, I went and spoke to the Service Department and that is not the case. The system is covered under the Federal Emissions Warranty, plus the heater is part of the tank (which is explicitly cited in the warranty as well).

They did not even need coaxing. It was no questions asked, $0.00, new heater and a DEF system flush with all new DEF. DONE. My recommendation to anyone who has this issue is to visit the dealer in person and talk with them face-to-face. They are always inundated and dealing with customers on the phone is not their strong suit (at least not our dealer).

You may not get as lucky, and might have to argue a bit but it IS COVERED so don't give up. :wwf:

my dealer is saying not covered under emissions warranty it’s under the 4 year 50k warranty

ewestland 09-07-2018 12:44 PM

So, what is the number of years/mileage stated on the Federal Emissions Warranty?

Thanks,
Eric

progonat 03-08-2019 10:47 AM

So I had this problem as well. From my research the DEF heater is covered for up to 8 years or 80k miles.

My Sprinter is a 2010 with over 150k so no luck for me. Ended it chaning it myself.
For those who are not covered by the warranty here is a great guide on how to replace Mercedes DEF heater. Took me 90 min and $480 USD instead of $2k.

Ram Chillarege 04-30-2019 10:19 AM

Leith Mercedes Raleigh, says DEF heater is not under emissions warranty.

[QUOTE=torrenti;6710476]Hello!

I have a 2013 ML 350, and was just told by Leith Mercedes, Raleigh NC that the DEF heater is not covered under the emissions warranty. This is frustrating since the DEF heater is a core part (one of three pieces) that makes up the emissions system. And without it working, the car will refuse to start!

So, to hear that some other dealers recognize this and are willing to take this up with MBUSA on behalf of their customers is great to hear. No luck here, so far.

ram

cadetdrivr 04-30-2019 10:50 AM

[QUOTE=Ram Chillarege;7744993]

Originally Posted by torrenti (Post 6710476)
Hello!

I have a 2013 ML 350, and was just told by Leith Mercedes, Raleigh NC that the DEF heater is not covered under the emissions warranty. This is frustrating since the DEF heater is a core part (one of three pieces) that makes up the emissions system. And without it working, the car will refuse to start!

So, to hear that some other dealers recognize this and are willing to take this up with MBUSA on behalf of their customers is great to hear. No luck here, so far.

ram

FWIW, find the warranty booklet for your model and year. There IS a Federal Emissions Warranty that will cover specific components up to 8-years/80,000 miles. Note that the warranty is both VERY SPECIFIC and varies by state (despite being “Federal”), so components are covered for 24 months, 36 months, or 8 years. Yes, it’s as mess an requires critical reading.

Here’s the 2013 version, for example:

https://assets.mbusa.com/vcm/CAC_RAP...ntybooklet.pdf

mjbenz 03-26-2020 10:38 PM

I was told the same at Leith MB and when I checked with the MB dealer that serviced my cars when I lived in the SF area they told me to call MB USA and drop the service managers name since they are a high volume dealer. MB USA told me they DEF tank parts and Nox sensors are not covered under the emissions warranty. I argued with the lady trying to get her to understand if these parts fail the car is not meeting emission standards and should be covered like a catalytic converter.