Diesel Forum Forum for Diesel engine vehicle related discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diasel fuel filter early replacement. Does it worst it?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 08:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 139 Posts
2018 GLC 4MATIC
Diasel fuel filter early replacement. Does it worst it?

Hi All,
I have 2014 ML with about 70K miles, by the book fuel filter must be replaced every 40K.

Are there any benefits of doing it earlier?
Car runs ok, but I like to keep it for a while, so all what might help to get extra works for me.

Thank you.
Old 11-27-2017, 10:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,379 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
Clog fuel filter shows first at WOT, usually going up steep hill, so you will get some warning.
If you are comfortable with filter replacement on the side of the road, I would not rush it.
On my Ford Powerstroke recommendation was 30k.
I made 87,000, while heavy towing before my engine hesitated uphill.
Old 11-27-2017, 11:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 GLC 4MATIC
Originally Posted by kajtek1
Clog fuel filter shows first at WOT, usually going up steep hill, so you will get some warning.
If you are comfortable with filter replacement on the side of the road, I would not rush it.
On my Ford Powerstroke recommendation was 30k.
I made 87,000, while heavy towing before my engine hesitated uphill.
No I don't get any warnings. I have found a few good articles how to keep diesels running, they all recommend changing filter frequently.
With Benz, I think all maintenance intervals should be divided by 2, so Im past due ))
This is my project for this weekend, newer done it before, but Im armed with a lot of info from this forum.

Thank you.
Old 11-29-2017, 09:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 660 Likes on 477 Posts
2013 ML350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by DanD.
No I don't get any warnings. I have found a few good articles how to keep diesels running, they all recommend changing filter frequently.
With Benz, I think all maintenance intervals should be divided by 2, so Im past due ))
This is my project for this weekend, newer done it before, but Im armed with a lot of info from this forum.

Thank you.
Why?
Old 11-29-2017, 10:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 GLC 4MATIC
Originally Posted by rapidoxidation
Why?
Lets look, its only if you planning to keep the car for long time. Lease is totally different story.

Oil change every 10K, most if the people believe its too long for diesels, 5K is reasonable.

Air Filter every 40K, I believe there is TSB recommending to change filter every 18.5K not how MB calculated this number.

Fuel filter 40K, as I know now, clogged filter might meed to pump working harder and fail eventually.

Im sure MB focuses on their clients, most of them are busy people who really don’t have time to take their cars for service frequently. So maintenance schedule build as minimum fo a car to last as long as original warranty, with some buffer so MB can sell extended warranty.

Please note: all above is my personal opinion. !
Old 11-29-2017, 11:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 660 Likes on 477 Posts
2013 ML350 Bluetec
Thanks for the answer!
My thoughts: Synthetic oil at every 10K is not at all unreasonable for a diesel. I've done so with a couple of duramax diesels (one is in my driveway right now with 240K miles on it and doesn't burn a drop). Just now got back in from changing my CDI's oil - hadn't burned a drop and no smoke (135K miles on it). Had a 2001 VW Jetta that I sold with about 150K on it - always used about a quart every 7K or so, but no smoke (pretty reasonable consumption). Can't say I'm easy on my motors... Torque is fun!
Air filters: As needed. The frequency depends completely on the environment the car breathes in. Dusty road? More often. Highway miles? 40K is barely dirty.
Fuel filters: Really depends on the fuel source. Crappy, old fuel from Uncle Bob's filling station? Ya, do it often and carry a spare. Otherwise, 40K is completely reasonable.
MB may focus on their clients, but the folks who own the cars new will happily spend the money on maintenance. I'm placing perhaps a bit much faith in the engineers and ignoring the bean counters, but I've found that IN MY EXPERIENCE the recommended service intervals are perfectly fine. That said, doing it more often surely won't hurt anything beyond your wallet and if it makes you feel better to do so, there's absolutely no reason not to.

As usual, YMMV...
Cheers!
Old 11-29-2017, 11:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 GLC 4MATIC
Hi rapidoxidation, thank you for all details.

Im trying to do basic maintenance by myself, so doing it twice often is still cheaper that doing it at a dealer ))

I do believe in MB experience in building diesels engines for over 60 years but some, like mine OM624 looks like has some issues.

Im just trying to get my ML last as long as possible, not sure if I will be able to get another.

Thank you.
Old 11-29-2017, 01:14 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
2008 E320 BlueTec, 1980 300 SD
Originally Posted by rapidoxidation

....Air filters: As needed. The frequency depends completely on the environment the car breathes in. Dusty road? More often. Highway miles? 40K is barely dirty......

Cheers!
I agree it depends on the environment - here is how my air filters looked like after 28,000 miles of 90%+ highway driving.

I was surprised at how much dirt was in them and will change little sooner next time!

Old 11-29-2017, 01:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 GLC 4MATIC
Originally Posted by arto_wa
I agree it depends on the environment - here is how my air filters looked like after 28,000 miles of 90%+ highway driving.

I was surprised at how much dirt was in them and will change little sooner next time!

Wow, I have mine replaced every 20K but they didn’t look that bad. ))
Looks like you park your park your car under the tree a lot ))
Old 11-29-2017, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by DanD.
Wow, I have mine replaced every 20K but they didn €™t look that bad. ))
Looks like you park your park your car under the tree a lot ))

No it has hardly ever been parked under a tree.

It's just regular stuff from the Northern highways - those are not pine needles you are looking at, they are pieces of leaves, seeds, insects and weeds etc.
There is also lot of fine char dust from forest fires.

By comparison, the cabin air filter with the same mileage looked pretty clean.

Last edited by arto_wa; 11-29-2017 at 03:06 PM.
Old 11-29-2017, 03:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I tend to evaluate everything, not just blindly follow soembody's opinion.
FSS was introduced by MB around 1998 and it was design for DINO OILS. Our 1998 ML320 run on dino oils for 3 years, with 13,000 intervals, while towing quite often and being 13 years in the family proved to be most reliable vehicle ever. Shall I prize dino oils for the results?
For air filter in our older diesel I installed the gauge taken from other brands and driving in California, 100, 000 miles still had the gauge in green zone, giving me expectation of 200k before need for new filter. Sold the car before that.
Contrary to pictures above, it is not the big dirt that clog air filter. That can be shaken out easy. It is the dust that you can't see with bare eye that clogs the filtering media.
Fuel filter is the same. Living in remote areas I used to bring fuel in gas cans. Even with good care, that always dump some dirt and I had to replace fuel filter more often.
Still fuel filters last for me several times more than recommendations base on statistics.
Than it takes only 1 bad fill-up for need of new fuel filter. Been there >20 years ago, but in US in last decade all gas station tanks have to be dual-wall, what keeps condensation out and dirt possibility to minimal.
So let me repeat, if you are comfortable with filter replacement - just carry spare one.
If not- youvegotta pay

Last edited by kajtek1; 11-29-2017 at 03:15 PM.
Old 11-29-2017, 10:21 PM

..... Contrary to pictures above, it is not the big dirt that clog air filter. That can be shaken out easy. It is the dust that you can't see with bare eye that clogs the filtering media......
Yes, like I said, these filters had lot of char dust (and ash) from forest fires.
Based on my experience, unlike most other cars I have worked on it is not practical to just remove and "shake" clean the two engine air filters on OM642 engine in W211 body, due to the amount of time it takes to remove and replace them.

Just my opinion.

Cheers!

Last edited by arto_wa; 11-29-2017 at 10:44 PM.
Old 11-30-2017, 11:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I hope someone will come with the trick how to install those filters as I recall f to make like 8 trips from top to the bottom to guide lower prongs on driver side. It is 2 men job I guess.
Than I remember paying quite nice money for those filters -Filter minder cost about 10 bucks.
Old 11-30-2017, 12:50 PM

I hope someone will come with the trick how to install those filters as I recall f to make like 8 trips from top to the bottom to guide lower prongs on driver side. It is 2 men job I guess.
Than I remember paying quite nice money for those filters -Filter minder cost about 10 bucks.

Small mechanics mirror will help for sure when guiding in the prongs on the driver side.

Yes, $34.04 for pair of Mann air filters on sale at Autohaus AZ - not the cheapest car to maintain for sure but not too bad for a such a nice car.
As I see it, there are not many choices available for those who want to drive a $10,000 Diesel luxury car!
Old 11-30-2017, 02:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I did not see space for putting any mirror on my driver side.
I paid $46 for OEM filters at Husker.
The old ones were "dealer neglected" and replacing them shaved 2 seconds from 0-60 acceleration time.
Than unlike Tennessee original owner, those filters likely will last lifetime with me driving in pollen-free states.
Old 11-30-2017, 03:27 PM

There is enough space for small mechanics mirror - I have two different styles and either one will fit.

I hope you are right about Vegas air quality, but for most other drivers timely air filter replacement is important on these engines - if the air filters get clogged the turbo will pull in excess amount of crankcase fumes and oily fumes along with that, which will sooner or later start leaking at the turbo inlet and make a mess.