Sponsored by:

Can I drive my diesel to Montréal?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 11:00 AM

Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts
2019 E300 4matic
Can I drive my diesel to Montréal?

I'm going to Montreal in August and instead of flying I'd like to drive my 08 E320 Bluetec. Are there any restrictions i should be aware of? I know the basic rules of the road, but I was just wondering if there are any issues specific to diesel cars. Will I be able to get ULSD or is it that biodiesel stuff?

Thanks!
Old 03-17-2018, 11:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,379 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
They do sell diesel fuel in Montreal
What you can do in advance, check fuel formulas in states and provinces. Some states sell B20 only and that is something you should also avoid. Having long range on diesel, you can also fill in cheaper states.
I learned long time ago to avoid fill ups in Illinois due to the pricing.
It was more than 10 years ago, but I driving Montreal-Toronto route, I could keep 180 kph and was not bothered by cops.
The following users liked this post:
Shadow5501 (03-17-2018)
Old 03-18-2018, 06:42 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
'11 E350BTC P2 Leather
I live in Hartford, CT and frequently do a Hartford Toronto Montreal Hartford swing, that's about a 1200 mile triangle. I can drive the trip on one fill if I go easy, my car (2011 E-350 diesel) will go 700 miles ona tank on the highway). There is ZERO issue with Canadian diesel fuel, the only issue is it is expensive up there compared to USA prices, so I try to fill on the USA side of the border.

Bunch of things to note:
  • Canada uses kph not mph. My car will show kph on the dashboard, you might want to check out how to change yours while you're up there.
  • Canada uses liters not gallons. There are on line calculators that will tell you the conversions
  • Canada uses Canadian dollars (duh). Use a credit card with no international transaction fees and you'll be fine. Or go to any ATM machine and take out cash
  • I have my insurance agent print out an insurance card specifically showing that I have coverage in Canada. Have never been asked for it (knock wood) but it's good to have.
  • You do need a passport to cross the border. One for everybody with you. Only proper answers at the border are "Yes sir" and "No sir."
  • Radar detectors are illegal up there, and the police have radar detector detectors. Leave it home.
  • Quebec is generally French speaking, the further north you go, the more so. Street signs also. That takes a bit of getting used to.
  • they are particularly anti weapons. I don't even bring a pocket knife.
  • They have really expensive booze up there, because they tax it like crazy. Don't bring any in with you, they really don't like that. I don't smoke, but can imagine that's the same. Usually at the border, they'll ask "do you have any alcohol or firearms?" and that's about the only question they ask.
  • USA EZPass or toll tags don't work up there, you'll have to avoid the toll roads (Waze can help you with that) or stop and pay.
Overall, a wonderful country and wonderful people. You'll have a great trip

Last edited by mikemargolis; 03-18-2018 at 06:47 PM.