Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-13-2018, 08:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GLK250
Fault Code P24C6 Temperature Sensor in Soot Sensor

Vehicle 2014 Mercedes GLK 250 blutec 27,000 miles
A recurring problem during the Cold Weather in general terms
I run my scanner and remove the fault cold, a problem has a prior history on two occasions with bad diesel.
I requested some advice from a trucker stating that a factor is short trips where the vehicle is driven few miles, the vehicle has less opportunity to burn off accumulated soot.
large heavy Diesel trucks, ( tractors) have regen cycles.burn off of particles of soot at high temperatures, with or without extra consumption DEF.
The check engine light is annoying.
Mileage not affected, the vehicle is normal otherwise.
If the temperature at start-up above 50 F, after the check engine light code fault is deleted, the check engine light does not return.

Question? I plan to travel in the next month 1,500 miles round trip, highway driving will the distance help burn off the accumulated soot.
In prior years, the problem seems to go away during the late Spring /Summer Driving months
The problem tends to return in late Fall at Diesel Cold Weather blend and temperatures below 50F.
Old 04-15-2018, 01:32 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
Yes
The following users liked this post:
HONDO250 (04-15-2018)
Old 10-18-2018, 08:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB GLK 250 2013
Hi Hondo, how did you solve the problem? I understand OBD code P24C6 has to do with the particulate filter sensor. I am experiencing the same.issue, the interesting thing is that performance is not affected at all, so it may even be a wet sensor or a lose connection.
Any suggestions?
Cheers
Blutec
Old 10-19-2018, 03:15 AM

GLK250
Blutec:
I did solve my problem, quite costly repair through the Mercedes Benz Dealer. The part is very expensive and installation by the dealer adds to the expense.
If you know of a competent mechanic who repairs Mercedes Benz vehicles then the expense will be reduced. I was unable to find a mechanic to install the sensor.
The check engine light was the problem and because of my yearly Pennsylvania (USA) was very soon, I needed the problem corrected.
Problem: Owners that do not fully allow the engine to heat or start-stop short trips does not allow the particulate (soot to burn off).Because of Types of diesel need to REGEN, the SOOT does not burn off, this activates the SOOT Sensor Trouble code/Check Engine Light.
Short term solves: Purchase a diagnostic meter that can remove trouble code and purchase a LUCAS Brand Product to burn off the soot. ( short-term fix) because one incident of bad diesel can generate the check engine light. I had the problem for two years before I got the actual part replaced. The problem was intermittent and after some long travel road trips, the problem went away.
With cold weather, let the vehicle idle and then allow the vehicle to warm up. Short hoops to the grocery store & shutting off the engine does not allow the engine to warm up and begin to burn off the SOOT.
The Dealer said the problem is common for owners that do not fully allow the engine to heat up, so run the engine heat it up and take longer trips as much as possible.
Old 10-19-2018, 07:43 AM

MB GLK 250 2013
Thank you, Hondo.
All the bear, Blutec
Old 10-19-2018, 08:51 PM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
GLK250 2014
Are you aware that the particulate soot sensor warranty has been extended to 10 years (In Canada)? I know of two owners who contacted their dealer and had the charge for replacement refunded. A copy of the letter from MBCanada is posted in the GLK forum. May only apply to Canada so far. https://mbworld.org/forums/glk-class...-warranty.html

Last edited by 107123210; 10-19-2018 at 08:53 PM.
Old 10-20-2018, 05:45 PM

MB GLK 250 2013
Thank you!

Will call MB to find out the details .Thanks again for your reply.
Old 10-23-2018, 08:39 AM

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts
W211 e320 CDI
If this sensor is considered an emissions item and it sure sounds like it is based on description and code USA warranty should cover. I’d put in a request with MB USA for warranty settlement payment on your claim if it were my situation. Diesels do need longer trips to self clean parts as exhaust gas temps are very low due to nature or diesel operation principal combined with modern emissions horse****. USA warranty on most emissions items is 10 years on all brands of passenger vehicles.
Old 10-23-2018, 09:22 AM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
GLK250 2014
Originally Posted by Micah / AF1 Rac
USA warranty on most emissions items is 10 years on all brands of passenger vehicles.
The emissions warranty appears to depend on which state you are in in USA. Initially the new car warranty covers most components but only for 2 or 3 years depending on where you are. The 8yr emission system warranty only covers 4 items. No sensors. You can check this on page 42 of attached pdf. Just the items with asterisk.

Situation is similar in Canada except we get emission items for 4 years on new car warranty, but as in USA, just 4 items 8yr emissions warranty.

http://assets.mbusa.com/vcm/CAC_RAPM...ntybooklet.pdf
Nacr27 (10-30-2018)
Old 12-10-2018, 12:17 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
2013 GLK 250
Originally Posted by HONDO250
Blutec:
I did solve my problem, quite costly repair through the Mercedes Benz Dealer. The part is very expensive and installation by the dealer adds to the expense.
If you know of a competent mechanic who repairs Mercedes Benz vehicles then the expense will be reduced. I was unable to find a mechanic to install the sensor.
The check engine light was the problem and because of my yearly Pennsylvania (USA) was very soon, I needed the problem corrected.
Problem: Owners that do not fully allow the engine to heat or start-stop short trips does not allow the particulate (soot to burn off).Because of Types of diesel need to REGEN, the SOOT does not burn off, this activates the SOOT Sensor Trouble code/Check Engine Light.
Short term solves: Purchase a diagnostic meter that can remove trouble code and purchase a LUCAS Brand Product to burn off the soot. ( short-term fix) because one incident of bad diesel can generate the check engine light. I had the problem for two years before I got the actual part replaced. The problem was intermittent and after some long travel road trips, the problem went away.
With cold weather, let the vehicle idle and then allow the vehicle to warm up. Short hoops to the grocery store & shutting off the engine does not allow the engine to warm up and begin to burn off the SOOT.
The Dealer said the problem is common for owners that do not fully allow the engine to heat up, so run the engine heat it up and take longer trips as much as possible.
hey hondo, do you have the repair bill so i can see what parts they used to fix the car? I have the same problem and im assuming i have to do the same as you. but im going to try to do it my self so i can post a diy for people
Old 12-10-2018, 04:33 AM

GLK250
SOOT Particulate Sensor MB PART A 000 905 34

Originally Posted by wigglefurd
hey hondo, do you have the repair bill so i can see what parts they used to fix the car? I have the same problem and im assuming i have to do the same as you. but im going to try to do it my self so i can post a diy for people
The repair probably can be completed by a Mechanic or yourself if you can gain access under the vehicle.
COSTS: Initial diagnostic determination by Dealer$228.96 labor charge estimate by Authorized MB dealer technician
The part was ordered from Mercedes Benz Daimler Ag Germany Stuttgart Not in Stock at MB Dealer
Part arrived & installed $660.49
$889.45 Total cost Parts & labor
In theory, if you can obtain the part then it is the cost of labor (yourself or repair shop with MB knowledgable mechanic)
Parts are always overpriced when obtained by Dealer, labor & materials very expensive
Cost of Part is a non- starter and labor costs are extremely high$$$

Service writer last words: Be sure to allow the vehicle to heat up and a number of long trips will be helpful.
This problem is known concerning owners who do not operate their vehicle on a regular daily basis.
The check engine light can activate if bad fuel is purchased. Cetane level and the use of non-brand diesel source can be the cause.
Areas where their seasonal blends may have a bad diesel.
best of Luck and happy motoring
Old 12-10-2018, 09:08 AM

2013 GLK 250
Originally Posted by HONDO250
The repair probably can be completed by a Mechanic or yourself if you can gain access under the vehicle.
COSTS: Initial diagnostic determination by Dealer$228.96 labor charge estimate by Authorized MB dealer technician
The part was ordered from Mercedes Benz Daimler Ag Germany Stuttgart Not in Stock at MB Dealer
Part arrived & installed $660.49
$889.45 Total cost Parts & labor
In theory, if you can obtain the part then it is the cost of labor (yourself or repair shop with MB knowledgable mechanic)
Parts are always overpriced when obtained by Dealer, labor & materials very expensive
Cost of Part is a non- starter and labor costs are extremely high$$$

Service writer last words: Be sure to allow the vehicle to heat up and a number of long trips will be helpful.
This problem is known concerning owners who do not operate their vehicle on a regular daily basis.
The check engine light can activate if bad fuel is purchased. Cetane level and the use of non-brand diesel source can be the cause.
Areas where their seasonal blends may have a bad diesel.
best of Luck and happy motoring
hey hondo! thanks for replying so quickly! I was actually expecting more for that repair since its a stealership. But its really not that bad.

Do you have the part# on the bill or remember the name of the sensor you bought?
Old 12-15-2018, 11:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,379 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
Soot sensor is located down the exhaust, pretty long way from DPF, so I wonder how much DPF regeneration is affecting it.
It is $350 from net dealers for my engine BTW
Lately ScanGauge made program for OM651 engine and I am driving with it.
Regardless popular beliefs, the regeneration is most of the time short burst when you push gas pedal harder than normal.
I live 5 miles from the freeway and each time I enter freeway ramp, where I have to push it harder, REG comes for few seconds. It will go off after short time when the car stop acceleration.
Still waiting for hard REG to happen since I drove about 600 miles since the gauge calibration and am currently at 75% sot, where the gauge might go up to 200%.
But I drive in 60-70F winter weather.
Old 01-03-2019, 04:24 PM

Received 319 Likes on 248 Posts
2023 EQB 350 & 2014 GL350
Add us to the club.

Dealer just replaced the soot sensor @ 55K mi and nearly 5 years old.. It was quick since they had it in stock and was $410 for the part plus labor (troubleshoot and install) = $780.

FWIW, prior to taking it in, I ran both my old Autel AL419 scanner and iCarSoft MB II. Both read P24C6 and the while the Autel provided more detail once I updated the firmware ("Particulate Matter Sensor - Temperature Circuit") only the MB II could clear the code.

Since the code kept reappearing on the next start, even after a nice long highway drive over the holiday, I figured it was a hard failure and had it repaired.
Old 01-03-2019, 04:51 PM

2013 GLK 250
Originally Posted by cadetdrivr
Add us to the club.

Dealer just replaced the soot sensor @ 55K mi and nearly 5 years old.. It was quick since they had it in stock and was $410 for the part plus labor (troubleshoot and install) = $780.

FWIW, prior to taking it in, I ran both my old Autel AL419 scanner and iCarSoft MB II. Both read P24C6 and the while the Autel provided more detail once I updated the firmware ("Particulate Matter Sensor - Temperature Circuit") only the MB II could clear the code.

Since the code kept reappearing on the next start, even after a nice long highway drive over the holiday, I figured it was a hard failure and had it repaired.

Not bad.

Do you happen to have the part number?
Old 01-04-2019, 07:23 PM

Do you happen to have the part number?

Soot Sensor Part #

Old 01-05-2019, 01:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 GLK250
Diesel particulate sensor

Soot Sensor Part #
I brought my GLK 250 to a dealer in MA. They were going to charge me 850.00 for parts and labor. I wasn’t happy about it but decided to have the work done anyway. Later that day I saw the letter from Canada on this site extending the warranty so I called them. They told me I would have to call Mercedes USA, so I did. They told me to call Canada and find out what parts they used and then call my dealer and compare. I asked shouldn’t Mercedes be doing that? When I got back to the dealer to pick up my car I had intended to pay for it, but the service writer came over and told me that it’s all set and that Mercedes extended the warranty. I never received a letter from Mercedes about this problem.
cadetdrivr (01-05-2019)
Old 01-05-2019, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by KathrynJ

I brought my GLK 250 to a dealer in MA. They were going to charge me 850.00 for parts and labor. I wasn’t happy about it but decided to have the work done anyway. Later that day I saw the letter from Canada on this site extending the warranty so I called them. They told me I would have to call Mercedes USA, so I did. They told me to call Canada and find out what parts they used and then call my dealer and compare. I asked shouldn’t Mercedes be doing that? When I got back to the dealer to pick up my car I had intended to pay for it, but the service writer came over and told me that it’s all set and that Mercedes extended the warranty. I never received a letter from Mercedes about this problem.
Excellent news! Thank you!!!

I was planning on calling MB this week, and now for sure I am.
Old 01-05-2019, 02:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 GLK250
Excellent news! Thank you!!!

I was planning on calling MB this week, and now for sure I am.
You’re welcome!
Old 01-07-2019, 06:57 PM

2013 GLK 250
Just called mbusa. They will not honor the extension warranty from Canada. Any one with experience on how to make it work ?
Old 01-22-2019, 02:40 PM

Just called mbusa. They will not honor the extension warranty from Canada.
Ditto. No luck via a phone call. I guess I'll send a letter with documentation to MBUSA as well.

(Not holding my breath.)