MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   Diesel Forum (https://mbworld.org/forums/diesel-forum-76/)
-   -   Goodbye Bluetec!! (https://mbworld.org/forums/diesel-forum/713230-goodbye-bluetec.html)

DeutscheBenz726 07-08-2018 07:44 PM

Goodbye Bluetec!!

After several months of repairs and HUGE bills I’ve decided to throw in the towel and switch brands. I’ve driven Mercedes Benz cars for 30 years but my current Bluetec diesel is the end. I have an appointment on Wednesday with the local Audi dealer to look at the A4 and have my car appraised (after I pick it up at the repair shop where it’s getting repaired due to its latest catastrophe). I’ll still keep my 05 CLK 500 because it runs like a champ and I’ve never had a problem with it. Mercedes Benz has lost an excellent long term customer!

mbdiesel12 07-08-2018 08:09 PM

I've have only 47K miles on my 2012 but have a 7/70 MB warranty. My maintenance costs have been minimal since I've done most maintenance myself except for the trans fluid and any warranty repairs.

After reading all the various problems on this board and a friends experience with a Bluetec, I feel like these diesels are a black hole of very expense problems waiting to happen.

My car will be gone just before the warranty expires. I would consider a gas model MB but there are too many other reliable cars out there to buy without the exorbitant maintenance costs.

I enjoy the car but don't like feeling like I'm driving a big $$ sign around waiting to happen.

Micah / AF1 Rac 07-09-2018 12:12 AM

If you take a newish OM642 apart and put it back together smartly and match programming...and do all your own work they honestly are not THAT bad. I have a Ford 6.0 2nd year so I can promise you it can be worse, MUCH worse. Eliminate EGR, straight pipe, remove all intake silencing, reflash, de-flapper and enjoy. If you leave it stock it's going to be a very expensive lesson in modernization of stuff for no good reason. Bluetech tank ideal for water/methanol storage BTW.

mbdiesel12 07-09-2018 09:23 AM

I understand what you're saying about the basic engine being sound but at my age I no longer want to work on a car to that level of detail. I just want a reliable ride that isn't waiting for several expensive dealer visits.

Way too many problems with the OM642 because of a complicated emission system which other diesels may share in part. Add to that the sometimes overly complex German engineering and it's more than I want.

By way of example, I changed the air filter and cabin filter on my wife's 2017 Acura RDX and it took about 10 minutes for both. It takes me 20-30 minutes just to change the cabin filter on my MB. And then comes the two air filters......

DeutscheBenz726 07-09-2018 09:43 AM

If I were to buy another diesel I don’t think I would get any newer model than the W124 1995 E300 Diesel. I could kick myself in the ass for getting rid of mine some years ago!

Micah / AF1 Rac 07-09-2018 10:54 AM

Feel you. I have my Kia Optima SX GDIt for days when the world feels too Teutonic

kajtek1 07-09-2018 02:37 PM

1995 E300d has the same engine that 1996 and 1997 in W210 body.
Had one of those and was pretty annoyed with power curve.
Usually you don't buy diesel to rev it 5000 rpm for decent acceleration.
When I agree that OM642 is over-complicated engine, but it is bad-ass diesel and brings smile on sharp cornering. Sorry to hear fellow owner had such bad experience.
If you want something easy to work on - the newer I4 diesel is the thing, but then new technology cost extra. Not that 40 mpg will not offset the cost sooner or later.
I have to get rid of one of the above and as well as my SL500, but it is tough decision. I love them all :)

Micah / AF1 Rac 07-09-2018 04:45 PM

While my OM642 blew (seized) it was 100% the fault of my business partner who made a simple mistake that could happen to anyone, no hard feelings. I'd get another OM642 powered car (been looking at doing a swap into Nissan Z32, 300ZX Chassis) but I definitely would not leave it stock. My OM648 powered beast just refuses to die, gotta do a steering rack soon but seriously I cannot complain about that after 213k miles and I'm running my OM648 FAR from stock. D like to grab a Golf with the CR170/140 motor and manual trans. Turbodiesel is a sickness for me, 6.0 & 7.3 Fords, Sprinter, Liberty CRD, Ford tractor with three banger diesel, used to have a 190D manual shift, previously another Golf TDI and my W211 OM648. Old my Cat 3306 180 kw gen set before moving out into sticks, will be getting another mechanical injection diesel or turbine gen set to run on WMV fuel since I've a free and basically unlimited supply from work. Why pay for electricity right?

When it comes time in 900 hours or so to rebuild my Beechcraft IO470 chances are that I'll swap to a TDI aviation motor for it. My first diesel was a 83' Datsun Maxima, second a Volvo 740D, several vintage Benz's...it's absolutely staggering how far diesels have come. There is a price associated with that but my goal is die broke, no kids or family left, might as well indulge what makes me smile.

mbdiesel12 07-09-2018 08:23 PM

I'll throw this thought out for discussion here. We know for a fact that MB just got fined and has to make a large scale recall on diesels in the European market. We also know for a fact that California and the EPA are leading an investigation into diesel emission "anomalies" in the US. I believe there were no new MB diesel cars imported into the US for 2017 (and maybe 2018 but I'm not sure. Perhaps the 4 cyl. though. I will stand corrected on this however).

Based on just the postings on this board we've heard of several OM642 problems like timing chains, intake clogging, turbo seal failures, DPF problems, Adblue problems, swirl motor problems, etc.

Considering all of the above do you think MB will cry "Uncle" and just get out of the passenger diesel business altogether? Looks at the trend from other car makers deciding to go mostly electric.

What do you guys think?

Micah / AF1 Rac 07-09-2018 10:01 PM

Highly likely for first world markets, highly unlikely for developing world markets.

kajtek1 07-10-2018 11:20 AM

At this point looks like electric is the future, but who knows what technology will bring tomorrow?
Just weeks ago drove across Nevada and in the city of Hawthorne (everybody hear about Area 51, right?) and they have 6 spots Tesla charging station.
Still US is having too much propaganda about technology. Cut government subsidiary and then we can see.
But with my present fleet, I think next vehicle will have to be self-driving. Don't care much electric or diesel. Both have their good and bad parts.
I like Porsche idea of hybrid, where you can drive the car 30 miles on battery charge, or fire up the engine when you go for longer trip. Why nobody makes that with diesel?

DC-BENZ 07-11-2018 10:12 AM

I feel your pain. We are testing the waters of Lexus as we speak, the Mrs. dropped the C-Class she drove for an ES350, I'm only remaining in the Bluetec world because of the more spacious 3rd row and gas mileage. I was hoping the epa standards continued because I wanted to switch to a gasser GL when the Gasser MPG got a bit closer to the Bluetec. I wonder how the BMW X7 will fair in the 3rd row size.

Originally Posted by Bluetec726 (Post 7497271)
After several months of repairs and HUGE bills I’ve decided to throw in the towel and switch brands. I’ve driven Mercedes Benz cars for 30 years but my current Bluetec diesel is the end. I have an appointment on Wednesday with the local Audi dealer to look at the A4 and have my car appraised (after I pick it up at the repair shop where it’s getting repaired due to its latest catastrophe). I’ll still keep my 05 CLK 500 because it runs like a champ and I’ve never had a problem with it. Mercedes Benz has lost an excellent long term customer!

mbdiesel12 07-11-2018 10:56 AM

It sounds like several of us MB people are having second thoughts. I can't argue about the ride and handling qualities of my car. Only the potential major issues and the expense. There are other much more reliable vehicles out there. Perhaps they don't have the refinement of an MB but in the end how much do we want to risk on an OM642 diesel?

I mentioned the ease of maintenance on my wife's 2017 Acura RDX. A dealer tranny flush and rear diff flush combined is only about $150. My 2012 Bluetec was around $450 or so just for the tranny flush. If I do an oil change on my own car it cost me around $90 for oil and filter because of the ridiculous MB oil spec requirements. If you're on the road somewhere remote, try to find oil that meets spec. MB does their service based on time and mileage. They can void the warranty if things are not done on the time schedule. I had to do the tranny service after four years even though I had only 29k miles. Things like that drive me crazy.

I'm going to look hard at Lexus, Acura, Infinity, etc. for my next ride before my 7/70 runs out. It may not have all the qualities of an MB but Lexus for instance isn't far behind. Maybe Cadillac too.

peter2772000 07-11-2018 05:05 PM

My next company ride will be 100% electric. Especially up here in Quebec, we give the ***** away. I'm thinking Tesla model X...

DC-BENZ 07-11-2018 07:23 PM

Seems we need a X Mercedes owner support group forum.

DeutscheBenz726 07-13-2018 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by mbdiesel12 (Post 7498203)
I'll throw this thought out for discussion here. We know for a fact that MB just got fined and has to make a large scale recall on diesels in the European market. We also know for a fact that California and the EPA are leading an investigation into diesel emission "anomalies" in the US. I believe there were no new MB diesel cars imported into the US for 2017 (and maybe 2018 but I'm not sure. Perhaps the 4 cyl. though. I will stand corrected on this however).

Based on just the postings on this board we've heard of several OM642 problems like timing chains, intake clogging, turbo seal failures, DPF problems, Adblue problems, swirl motor problems, etc.

Considering all of the above do you think MB will cry "Uncle" and just get out of the passenger diesel business altogether? Looks at the trend from other car makers deciding to go mostly electric.

What do you guys think?

It’s already happening in Europe. Stuttgart the home of Mercedes-Benz has banned diesel engine cars and trucks within the city limits. In addition sales of diesel cars in Europe are down about 20%. I would say the hand writing is on the wall.

kajtek1 07-13-2018 11:39 AM

In Europe propane cost 1/3 what gasoline does and propane fill stations are easy available.
Meaning converting the gasoline engine to propane will make it cheaper to drive than even 60 mpg diesel.
Conversion is not cheap, but computerized system will start cold engine on gasoline, since propane does not like cold and then automatically switch to propane when engine warms up.
OM642 engines are used in Sprinter vans and those not only work much harder, but are driven for millions km as well.
We will have to see what technology will bring for the future, but something is very wrong with parts for the diesels already on the road.
For my 250 Bluetec I placed order for remanufactured DPF on June 1. Only 3 days ago got the confirmation that the filter will leave Germany on August 7. We are talking wearable with 90k intervals.
Meaning you have to have 2 cars if you plan to use 1 of them.