Eligibility of extended warranty from Bluetec field measure cross-border

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-12-2023, 02:18 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
2013 GLK250 Bluetec & 2014 E550 Cabriolet
Eligibility of extended warranty from Bluetec field measure cross-border

Hi all,

I own a 2014 GLK250 Bluetec and received Field Measurement in Jan 2022 from Mercedes-Benz in Vancouver, BC, Canada.

https://bluetecupdate.mercedes-benz....ents_en_ca.pdf

Recently, I moved to Bellevue, WA, United States for my job relocation and imported and registered my car here in WA state. I read this letter about extended warranty coverage and found that there is a statement says "the Extended Modification Warranty does not cover any of the following: Vehicles that have received the Field Measure and are subsequently exported outside of Canada or the United States”. I understand that this is means that my car is still under the extended warranty as it is still within Canada or United States, but I think that it can be also interpreted as "exported sold-in-Canada car outside of Canada, or exported sold-in-US car outside US". Any idea how it is officially interpreted?

I appreciate to your experience sharing!

Thank you.
Old 08-12-2023, 04:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,379 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
Was your GLK originally sold in US, or Canada?
From what I read the Field measures don't work over the border and if your car qualifies for it, you might have to take it to Canada. Don't think the registration would matter in such case, but that is the question to SA who would carry the modifications.
Old 08-12-2023, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by kajtek1
Was your GLK originally sold in US, or Canada?
From what I read the Field measures don't work over the border and if your car qualifies for it, you might have to take it to Canada. Don't think the registration would matter in such case, but that is the question to SA who would carry the modifications.
Thanks for the reply. I bought the car in Canada. Note that my car already received the field measure modification. I am asking about the warranty on the emission parts that follows the modification.
Old 08-12-2023, 06:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,379 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
Either way, from what is posted on the net, MB USA and MB Canada don't share anything.
How the letter can list both countries together- beats me. Still your friendly SA is proper person to ask.
Per my experience, they have easy job. They enter the VIN and then needed part into computer and it will spit the answer if it is covered or not.
Old 08-12-2023, 09:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 231 Posts
'17 GLS450, '14 GLK250, Grandpa's Roadster
Originally Posted by kajtek1
How the letter can list both countries together- beats me.
I think the fact that it does implies that is covered as long as it is in either Canada or the US. I also suspect a good lawyer could convince a judge of that.
Old 08-18-2023, 04:31 PM

Thank you all for your input. I reached out to Mercedes-Benz Canada and received an official answer:

You are correct the warranty is to be respected in the USA.

Please note the US MB service desk will have to contact MB USA to get authorization before any warranty work will be done and to confirm the coverage of the repair.

If work was has been completed in the US that is part of the field measure and you were charged. Unfortunately you will have to contact the dealer the work was completed with for a possible refund.

We have jurisdiction in the United States.

I hope this answers your question.
The following users liked this post:
kajtek1 (08-18-2023)