Sponsored by:

W211 om648 manual transmission conversion

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 02:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211 e320 cdi
W211 om648 manual transmission conversion

So I know many people dont approve of converting a mercedes to a manual but I'll ask anyway. I've had my cdi for a while now and love it to pieces, but I'm also one of those guys who loves to drive a manual car through mountain roads on the weekends. I want to know if there are any bolt up options that can hold the torque of the cdi. There may not be an option stateside but I'm willing to import parts from Europe if necessary. Thanks in advance to all who contribute!😂
Old 08-05-2018, 10:54 AM

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts
W211 e320 CDI
I personally think adapting a T6 is the best way to go, 1500+ bhp drag racers use them, Vette guys use them...wanna be different, do a quafe true sequential manual gearbox with manual clutch.

The 211 wasn’t designed for a clutch cylindervpedal or master cylinder, that is what has stopped most people from proceeding. I say f-it lol! You make it work and maybe I’ll go next. My OM642 reject and CR170 project swaps are both into manual trans cars, other than converting Toyota’s to manuals it’s always best to start with a platform commonly sold in manual. The torque a clutch pack or trans car take is infinite now but the weight varies with the square of the torque lol. Every Audi has a roadmap to manual shift and TDI swaps but they were sold like this new in many markets.

The pioneers take the arrows homie, take a few for me and I’ll try to help. Oh, and btw...programming is gone be a *****. You still want cruise control, ESC, and such right?
Old 08-05-2018, 12:39 PM

W211 e320 cdi
The software aspect of things I'm not super worried about, you can set up an arduino to send false signals to the computer as if it were an automatic. The part I need to figure out is how to machine and adapt a mercedes bell housing onto another transmission and furthermore how to find a and set up a clutch that doesnt exist.
Also on a seperate note I have heard of the fins and swedes dropping in a 6 speed that holds up but I dont know if this is just a myth.
lastly would yhe gearing for this possible future transmission have to be super tall or is the gear ratio in the diff designed to make up for it all. Seeing as the motor is low rpm but high torque. Super long post with a bunch of questions, sorry lol.
Old 08-05-2018, 12:46 PM

W211 e320 cdi
The software aspect of things I'm not super worried about, you can set up an arduino to send false signals to the computer as if it were an automatic. The part I need to figure out is how to machine and adapt a mercedes bell housing onto another transmission and furthermore how to find a and set up a clutch that doesnt exist. <br />Also on a seperate note I have heard of the fins and swedes dropping in a 6 speed that holds up but I dont know if this is just a myth.<br />lastly would yhe gearing for this possible future transmission have to be super tall or is the gear ratio in the diff designed to make up for it all. Seeing as the motor is low rpm but high torque. Super long post with a bunch of questions, sorry lol.
Old 09-04-2018, 01:50 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
W211 320CDI -04, W210 270CDI -01
Originally Posted by E320cdilife
Also on a seperate note I have heard of the fins and swedes dropping in a 6 speed that holds up but I dont know if this is just a myth.
Huh, I never heard that...

In Europe 270CDI (I5) engine has been lagerst W211 lump fitted with manual gear box but I doubt it can still hold almost 100Nm higher Torq of 320CDI.