Diesel Forum Forum for Diesel engine vehicle related discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C220 CDI W203 injectors

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 08:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E320 CDi (2007 - S211), S500L (2002_W220), SLK280 (2007 R171)
C220 CDI W203 injectors

Hi, I have a 2003 C220 CDI t-wagon (estate) that has always smoked quite badly.
To give you a bit of background on the cars history I got the car in bad condition about 18 months ago, it was in M55 limp mode and once I took a closer look it obviously hadn't been looked after.
modifying the inlet manifold (removing the swirl flaps and plugging holes etc.) sorted the M55 limp mode problem, I also did the EGR omit mod ( the one with the circuit to manipulate the airflow sensor output when the EGR open signal is present to match the expected reduced flow values) which both improved the running and performance hugely but it has always suffered being smokey, some times worse than others but usually a constant puffing at idle and huge dark clouds at acceleration, I suspected prior to the car coming to me it had been run for a long time in limp mode and assumed it would improve with use.
I gave it two doses of Archoil 6400-D and 9100 which again helped but didn't cure.

Star is showing Quantity correction values of injectors as the following
Cyl1 5.3mm/3 Hub
Cyl3 -4.7mm/3 Hub
Cyl4 0.9mm/3 Hub
Cyl2 -4.2mm/3 Hub

It also shows current injected qty is 20mm/3 Hub (star shows expected value is 5.0-14.0)

looking at these figures I suspect injector at cyl1 definitely needs replacement but what about the others, do I need to be concerned with the injectors showing minus figures?

If cyl 1 is closest to the bulkhead then the injector in cyl4 appears to have been replaced with a new or recon unit before I got the car so i'm assuming the figure of 0.9mm/3 Hub is good?

and the big question, looking at these figures is it likely the injectors are the cause of the smoke?

Any advice would be very much appreciated.
Old 09-19-2018, 10:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,380 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
Being in UK, you might have better options than we do have in USA.
Last time I check, electronic injector cost in the range $600 a piece, what makes nice figure on all of them.
In Europe you should have injector rebuild shop, or at least buy replacement tips, what is crucial part in injector rebuild.
Old 09-20-2018, 03:31 AM

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts
W211 e320 CDI
I can give you a company name in Texas on Tuesday when I return to work in Texas that at least can point you in the right direction. They do actual injector rebuilds but may likely suggest someone closer. This involves cutting apart and reselling injector assemblies on many modern machines. MIGHT be cheaper than a used set or even new set of injectors. When I told them I could get a set of AMG slightly oversize injectors, all 6 NEW for around $2700 shipped they recommended I go that route.
Old 09-20-2018, 12:00 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Ml350
This is just ONE test.... There are several phases of injector pulse, so its best to remove them and have them tested.

Have you done a leak test to see how much fuel they are returning?