Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scanners for DPF regerneration

Old 09-28-2018, 02:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,728 Likes on 1,378 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
Scanners for DPF regerneration

We keep talking about the scanners in different topics, but I think the subject deserves its own topic.
Having big issue with DPF in my W212 E250 Bluetec, where 3 months wait for new/reg DPF from Germany is not going anywhere, I took my time to test some scanners in the mean time.
I do have MaxiEcu- laptop based scanner, who does lot of adaptation, but the ECU for 250BT is not included yet, although the developer keeps on promising the software.
I tried Schwaben for MB and it did not support my model.
Than I bought iCarsoft MBII. That scanner does not read my ECU, but has generic DPF regeneration that seem to work on my car. It is work of madman as it calls for keeping 2-3,000 rpm while not exceeding 50 kph and it is not giving you progress report, so you have to keep refreshing it manually, but it did drop dot contest in my DPF.
But the CEL for to "DPF differential pressure" keeps coming back, when I could not monitor it.
So I bought lately Autel MD808 .
This scanner doesn't read my ECU (what else is new) and its DPF service has no regeneration, but playing with it I found differential pressure reading.. . under "Limitation of engine torque".
I never had good opinion about automotive system programmers, but those logics sure make you scratching your head.
Than from all 4 scanners I tried, only Schwaben had smoothest test aka simulated compression test.
Final conclusion - each scanner has useful function, but you need 4 of them to have the really useful stuff. If you want ECU support, seems it will show up on those scanners in about 6-7 years. (Autotell support Ford as of 2014, what is only 5 years)
I am getting more support on my 2008 E320 BT, but this engine works well, so I have no motivation to spend lot of time on it.

I plan to spend more time with Autel in next couple of days, so will keep update.

Last edited by kajtek1; 09-28-2018 at 02:39 PM.
Old 09-28-2018, 02:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

We also talk about ScanGauge, who is monitoring-only scanner, but is giving regeneration status and ash % for my Ford Truck.
I contact the manufacturer about making program for MB and they are sending me data logger for my MB cars, so they can make programs supporting the brand.
So there is more light at the end of the tunnel.
Old 09-28-2018, 02:52 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
2018 E400 4matic coupe / 2015 GLK 250 BT / 2008 F250 Diesel / 2002 Focus SVT
Originally Posted by kajtek1
We also talk about ScanGauge, who is monitoring-only scanner, but is giving regeneration status and ash % for my Ford Truck.
I contact the manufacturer about making program for MB and they are sending me data logger for my MB cars, so they can make programs supporting the brand.
So there is more light at the end of the tunnel.
i have 2 Scan Gauge units, one in my Diesel ford. If they get it working for MB, I’ll buy another for our GLk. Keep us posted please.

OJ
Old 09-28-2018, 03:04 PM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
'10 C300, '15 ML250BT, '22 M850i Vert
I plan to spend more time with Autel in next couple of days, so will keep update.
Thanks for your effort, I will be subscribed to this thread since I am in the market for a scanner.
Old 09-28-2018, 10:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Today I took some time to do another regeneration on OM651 engine. Sorry for picture size, but I don't know if I can control it.
Autel was showing 120 hPa = 1.7 psi DPF differential pressure at flooring it from the start and I was getting CEL with the code.
Switched to iCarsoft that has program for DPF regeneration.
The program wants you to keep rpm between 2-3,000 rpm and not exceed 50 kph.
That makes for crazy driving as you have to keep it on 2nd with wheel paddles , below 30 mph with the car every 10 seconds automatically switching to auto, so I had to observe the cluster for gear display and each time it switched to "D3" I had to hit the paddle to "M3" and then to "M2". To top it, iCarsoft is not updating the display, so every minute I had to hit "OK" on the scanner and scroll to see updated values.
Don't blame me for not taking picture in that procedure, but here is picture of before. As you can see
"soot content" at 13
Fill level of diesel particules" at 185 [0.... 350 allowable]
keep your eyes on line saying "Operating conditions of c.../Normal operation" that was before I scrolled back and press F2 for regeneration. During the regeneration the right side of the line will display the regeneration in progress.

here is the screen after. The dpf values went to 0.
As I said, the scanner doesn't refresh the values and it shows speed and rpm when I already stop for taking the picture.
Disregard the line saying "Regeneration was compl" It doesn't seem to do anything, while it was misleading at the beginning.
Press OK at the bottom the page.

next screen warns about switching the engine off before cool down period, so press OK

when you can see exhaust temperature drop below 400 - you can press OK and switch the engine off.

After regeneration I hook up Autel again and check differential pressure.
3 tries went from 78 to 101 hPa (120 in single try before).
Will see how it goes with more driving. We don't drive car every day, so it will take some time to confirm the DPF is clean.

Last edited by kajtek1; 09-29-2018 at 11:12 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by kajtek1:
peter2772000 (09-29-2018), S-Vibes (06-03-2020)
Old 10-01-2018, 01:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL350
Has anyone located the PIDS for the ash content and other dpf status for apps like torque or obd fusion?
Old 10-01-2018, 04:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well..... iCarsoft lies to me
I did 2 more tests to confirm the issue, but even the regeneration process shows the values going down to 0, they don't go. After resetting the scanner it will read the same 13/180 values.
I had my DPF send to DPF shop and they found it damaged beside cleaning abilities, so even I did hope for miracle, I did not really expect it.
But why Chinese programmers make program that lies in your eyes?

Last edited by kajtek1; 10-03-2018 at 12:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
S-Vibes (06-03-2020)
Old 10-03-2018, 07:00 AM

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
GL and ML350 Bluetec
Good idea.

When I look at the live data, I don't really know what the standard range should be on any of the values.

Also, my Maxicheck Pro requires me to drive (not idle or rev engine in park) and to have operating temps up to a certain level before force regen occurs.

We keep talking about the scanners in different topics, but I think the subject deserves its own topic.
Having big issue with DPF in my W212 E250 Bluetec, where 3 months wait for new/reg DPF from Germany is not going anywhere, I took my time to test some scanners in the mean time.
I do have MaxiEcu- laptop based scanner, who does lot of adaptation, but the ECU for 250BT is not included yet, although the developer keeps on promising the software.
I tried Schwaben for MB and it did not support my model.
Than I bought iCarsoft MBII. That scanner does not read my ECU, but has generic DPF regeneration that seem to work on my car. It is work of madman as it calls for keeping 2-3,000 rpm while not exceeding 50 kph and it is not giving you progress report, so you have to keep refreshing it manually, but it did drop dot contest in my DPF.
But the CEL for to "DPF differential pressure" keeps coming back, when I could not monitor it.
So I bought lately Autel MD808 .
This scanner doesn't read my ECU (what else is new) and its DPF service has no regeneration, but playing with it I found differential pressure reading.. . under "Limitation of engine torque".
I never had good opinion about automotive system programmers, but those logics sure make you scratching your head.
Than from all 4 scanners I tried, only Schwaben had smoothest test aka simulated compression test.
Final conclusion - each scanner has useful function, but you need 4 of them to have the really useful stuff. If you want ECU support, seems it will show up on those scanners in about 6-7 years. (Autotell support Ford as of 2014, what is only 5 years)
I am getting more support on my 2008 E320 BT, but this engine works well, so I have no motivation to spend lot of time on it.

Last edited by DC-BENZ; 10-03-2018 at 07:22 AM.
Old 01-09-2020, 01:45 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
2010 GL350 BLUETEC, 2013 E350 Sport
Well..... iCarsoft lies to me
I did 2 more tests to confirm the issue, but even the regeneration process shows the values going down to 0, they don't go. After resetting the scanner it will read the same 13/180 values.

But why Chinese programmers make program that lies in your eyes?
thanks kajtek for taking the time to document your experience with MBII. I bought a MBII to reset the dpf code on my 2010 GL350 and hoped that with an update to the MBII, it might work, but no such luck. The DPF reset function just ends up in a loop of asking me to confirm pass car or van, then confirm my VIN is correct, then again pass car or van loop to no where. I’ll contact iCarsoft to see what they say about this.

Just wished I’d bought this new so the return would be simple, but I got an ok deal on a used one from eBay so I guess I can keep it for all the other functions
Old 01-09-2020, 03:27 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
W212 Bluetec
I use Autel MD802 “Full System” and regen can be seen under live data, then temperature before and after DPF... When it heats up to
around 600degC its under regen.. Normal running is around 300deg C..

My idle is also raised during this time,
but idle is also raised if AC is on, battery voltage is low, and during regeneration.. So you need to know the difference..

Ive noticed in winter that if I start the car with Hvac fan on, my idle is raised from 600 to 800.. if I turn off fan right at startup, the idle
is low..

Id be interested in buying a small display, but aim not sure if they will read the temp... I dont want to plug in a scanner each time...

Old 01-09-2020, 10:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Since I started the topic, ScanGauge developed Xgauges for OM651 engine, who I tested to work well and they've been working on Xgauges for OM642 engine, so worth checking as well.
They also made gauge for my Ford diesel and when soot level works, the regeneration status gauge does not. I contacted them months ago and after sending me 2nd version- they still can't make it working.
Meaning whenever new gauge shows on the market, be very skeptic what it shows.
Old 01-09-2020, 08:17 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
W212 Bluetec
do you have a part number for these gauges?
Old 01-09-2020, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by 00Coupe
do you have a part number for these gauges?
Looks like they have manufacturer specific x-gauges and the models in the link below are all they are covering presently:

https://www.scangauge.com/mercedes/
Old 01-10-2020, 09:17 AM

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts
GL320
Star will show the mileage at the last regen, miles driven since regen, ash content, and DPF load. But its completely impractical to have hooked up all the time. For casual viewing, I have torque pro hooked up and monitor downstream exhaust temps. If the temps are around 600F, its not regenning. If they are 1000+, its regenning. Thats about the best way to casually view in real time.
Old 01-10-2020, 11:17 AM

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
W211 E320 Diesel OM642
That's a great idea. I wonder if this will work in my case where in a winter, most of my trips are 5 min long and it's cold
Old 01-11-2020, 07:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

To make it clear - ScanGauge is design to be plugin permanently to your vehicle. It will shut itself off when you turn the engine off. Actually can be annoying when the display goes off on ECO stops.
Not cheap gauge, but not much is cheap on those cars anymore and IMHO if $150 gauge can save you from $4000 DPF replacement, you should not hesitate to get it.
It has lot of other functions as well that you can find useful.
Old 01-11-2020, 09:49 PM

Actually can be annoying when the display goes off on ECO stops.
l
what are ECO stops?
Old 01-12-2020, 01:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I think it started in 2014 models in US, where the cars have smart charging and shut down the engine at red lights and other traffic stops. That's what we call ECO stop for the light that comes on the cluster. They also have HOLD feature that will keep the brake on till you hit gas pedal.
Old 03-25-2021, 03:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GL350 Bluetec, C300
Wondering if anybody has experience using Scangauge II for DPF regen on/off status and DPF % full on GL or ML 350 BlueTEC? Their website lists X-codes for the Sprinter but not for GL/ML even though I think its the same engine. I Scangauge and they said you should be able to get that info using the codes, if not we will give you new codes. Before I spend the money to get it I wanted to check here to see if anybody else here is using it to reliably get regen status. I have a 2014 GL350.
Old 03-25-2021, 09:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by hdmav
Wondering if anybody has experience using Scangauge II for DPF regen on/off status and DPF % full on GL or ML 350 BlueTEC?.
I am using SG for DPF regeneration status on several vehicles and it seldom worked right.
On my Ford it did never show regeneration pending, when I did see soot level going down from time to time, what indicate regeneration,
On my Sprinter SG shows regeneration pending 90% of the time, when soot level indicate regeneration happening every +- 500 miles.
On E250 it did show probably the best. When the soot went to 100% the regeneration would come on and after few miles it would complete. But then it did show regeneration when I was "flooring it" entering the freeway. No clue if that is correct.
Old 03-26-2021, 12:02 PM

12 r350
Originally Posted by hdmav
Wondering if anybody has experience using Scangauge II for DPF regen on/off status and DPF % full on GL or ML 350 BlueTEC? Their website lists X-codes for the Sprinter but not for GL/ML even though I think its the same engine. I Scangauge and they said you should be able to get that info using the codes, if not we will give you new codes. Before I spend the money to get it I wanted to check here to see if anybody else here is using it to reliably get regen status. I have a 2014 GL350.
Hi Hdmav. I have the ScanGuageII on by 2012 R350 Bluetec and works great. You can also daisy another unit if you want to have more than 4 data up at once. Use the X-codes for the 2011+ Sprinter 3.0 Diesel https://www.scangauge.com/x-gauge-co...w-3-0l-diesel/

On/Off Regen, DPF temp (Exhaust Temp Upstream), DPF Load, Engine temp is what I have on my display.

You wont regret purchase but its a little expensive.

Last edited by ClubJensen; 03-26-2021 at 12:06 PM.
Old 03-26-2021, 11:37 PM

GL350 Bluetec, C300
I ordered it today. Will play around with it for some time and update what I find here.
Old 03-27-2021, 09:17 AM

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
GL350, Audi A3 TDI, VW Beetle TDI
ClubJensen. Your post is very helpful. I have had a ScanGuage on my Beetle TDI for many years. Company support has been very good—I recently sent my ScanGuage in for latest firmware update that is required for some of the gauges you mention to work—cost $20.

I did not know you could daisy chain an additional Scanguage for 4 more realtime gauges. I assume you just connect with a short network cable!

For GL owners, where are you routing the wire and mounting the Scangauge? It was easy on the Beetle—it replaces the daisey holder.

Mike

Old 03-27-2021, 11:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E250
I have had good luck reading codes and live data using the Launch 431V pro scanner. There are two different ones being sold, the ones sold on Amazon are meant for the non USA market, and Launch USA will not support the product. The only thing I cannot seem to be able to do is to do any sort of module programming.
Old 03-27-2021, 11:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by mikeolive
I did not know you could daisy chain an additional Scanguage for 4 more realtime gauges. I assume you just connect with a short network cable!

Mike
Go on SG X-gauges pages and find what they offer. Not all OM642 engines have gauges available.
To program X-gauge you have to enter very long numbers 4 times. Pretty annoying, but it works at the end... if you don't punch wrong number.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Scanners for DPF regerneration