Sponsored by:

Upgrade exhaust system

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 11:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face Upgrade exhaust system

Hi
I posted similar question under Mercedes Sedans section but no one replied, so I thought I try the Diesel section.

I have a MB C Class W205 C250d of 2015. I like everything in my car, with Stage 1 remap it generates close to 250bhp. The only thing I would like to change is the exhaust sound, and maybe get some extra performance from that (not much I know).

I searched a lot of places and cannot find a performance exhaust system upgrade for diesel engine. I read they don't sound good, they are too complicated etc. I also read that removing the DPF would give a boost but it is illegal, and also a muffler may change the sound but not much.

One garage I took the car to have a look ( I told them I need a quad pipe two left two right) told me there is no space for that on my car because of the adblue tank!

All I really need is someone knowledgeable to share some reliable info

Can I upgrade the exhaust on my car to achieve a better sound, and possibly some performance enhancement
Do I need to change all the system, part ? just the muffler ?

Thank you all
Old 01-28-2019, 12:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,380 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
I don't think you will find many if any MB owners who did such thing.
MB are tuned optimally from the factory, so any aftermarket tune will sacrifice some performance to gain in other.
Now new diesel technology with dpf and DEF is very precise instrument.
Any exhaust leak, or change will start lighting CEL and emission codes.
I had DPF delete on 1 car and removing DPF inserts did not change the sound, at least not to degree I can notice it.
If there is HP gain, again not to degree to make it noticeable.
I believe you have OM651 engine? Did you get it dynoed to record 250bhp ?
The following users liked this post:
cyguardian (04-09-2019)
Old 01-28-2019, 02:52 PM

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts
W211 e320 CDI
For my 06’ OM648 powered car I couldn’t find anything so I built my own, pics in the CDI tuning/performance thread. If you know how to weld and have access to Amazon for the raw stainless tube and bends and access to a good bandsaw it’s a 1 day job that cost about $60. I had already reflashed to remove all emissions control computer checks and functionality, did add a port for stock wideband lambda sensor. Trying to decide on where to put EGT probe next time hot side is apart, pre or pst turbo, also adding a manifold pressure port to exhaust, priceless for serious tuning. Mine sounds great, straight pipes, turbocharger is only muffler, perfect hybrid for me, part jet engine, part reciprocating diesel. Not very loud. You have twin turbo motor right? Straight piped and reflashed it will not be that loud as turbos are excellent mufflers that HATE back pressure. No diesel emissions tests here in Texas and honestly even now at 478 ft/lbs and 263 wheel horsepower it smokes WAY less than stock car did.
cyguardian (04-09-2019)
Old 01-28-2019, 02:59 PM

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts
W211 e320 CDI
https://mbworld.org/forums/diesel-fo...0-cdi-mod.html

this thread details a bit of my car over last 150,000 miles
cyguardian (04-09-2019)