MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   Diesel Forum (https://mbworld.org/forums/diesel-forum-76/)
-   -   2005 E320 CDI Glow Plugs (https://mbworld.org/forums/diesel-forum/737451-2005-e320-cdi-glow-plugs.html)

Aali1011 03-02-2019 09:56 PM

2005 E320 CDI Glow Plugs

Hello All,

Hoping to get some clarification regarding glow plugs. I have searched and come to find that the OM648 needs 5v Glow plugs and not 11.5. I believe this is the difference between Beru (5v) and Bosch (11.5v). I purchased my car from a family member and they had given me some Diesel RX Glow plugs. However after searching their website and here i can't seem to find anything stating that they work for our cars. The T1N Sprinter supposedly takes the same Glow plugs as the W211. I was able to find the following Link where a Sprinter owner is using them without issue. By the transitive property then they should work. I have emailed Diesel RX for confirmation but wanted to see if anybody on the forum had any information or could confirm.

I know that only 2 of the 6 plugs have been changed and the car hates to start sometimes so i would like to alleviate the issue.

Thanks

Micah / AF1 Rac 03-03-2019 08:28 PM

My 2006 definitely had Beru 5V plugs stock. Mercedes told be I needed Bosch 11V glowplugs and since it was apart anyway I used them. No issues BUT, on super cold starts, I do cycle key like 2-3 times to preheat the plugs.

Aali1011 03-03-2019 08:54 PM

Thanks Micah,

I think there may be a model year difference as well. Similar to how the Oil Capacity is listed differently in the Owners Manual between 05 and 06. I found the following Link as well and it seems like 5v is what the vehicle likes. I need to confirm regarding these DieselRx plugs as i am not looking forward to shelling out for the Beru plugs.

Plutoe 03-03-2019 08:55 PM

Your best advice is someone at a dealer that can call up the correct part on EPC

mtrevelino 03-04-2019 07:45 AM

When I had my indie first change my glow plugs, he received the 11.5 volt plugs from the MB dealer. After two months and 3k miles later, I had him install the correct 5 volt Beru glow plugs. In the two months I had the 11.5 volt plugs installed, I did not notice any difference in starting, but then again, I keep the car in a garage.
One thought I may add to using the 11.5 volt plugs is it may affect the glow plug controller's life. Just my thoughts!
Mike T.

rapidoxidation 03-04-2019 09:43 AM

Teh 5V plugs are the correct ones.

Micah / AF1 Rac 03-04-2019 10:09 AM

I got my set of Berus for my Jeep in 7V, they were not Offensively priced. I used ID parts for that order

Aali1011 03-04-2019 10:06 PM

My car unfortunately has to sit outside and while it struggles to start it isn't so horrible. @Micah / AF1 Rac It seems like the going rate for the Glow Plugs is $23-$27 ECS Tuning seems to have the lowest price. I will have to check if any of my parts places locally have any better deals. The Diesel Rx Glow Plugs were roughly half if i recall correctly. I called today and left a message with their engineer to get some additional information regarding the plugs my uncle had purchased. I am no expert in Glow Plugs but have their been big technological advances with them? Akin to how we went from copper tip spark plugs to iridium ones.

kajtek1 03-04-2019 11:39 PM

I am old enough to remember glow plugs that in winter time would allow you to finish cigarette before engine was ready to crank.
The 5V plugs in 12V system are for reason. They got hot in couple of seconds, but require precise control as giving them 5 sec might burn them.
Than engines went long way as well. I had GP controller failure on 1980 VW diesel and in California 75F summer I was cranking it for several minutes, before it would fire up just short of killing the battery.
When module failed on 2008 Bluetec, even in 55F spring time, the engine would start in 3 seconds with no preheat.
Amazing what 5000 psi common rail pressure can do.

Micah / AF1 Rac 03-05-2019 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Plutoe (Post 7696353)
Your best advice is someone at a dealer that can call up the correct part on EPC

thats how I ended up with the 11V glow plugs, it’s an error still unfixed last I looked despite reporting it. I’m not concerned about my glow plug controller us usually using higher volts results in less amps being drawn, mine is still fine at 224k miles as of tonight’s drive home. Replacing inner tie rod ends is next up in my future...uggg. I’ve been doing my own alignments and honestly I’m quite pleased so I’ll attack this as time allows.

gotta confess I was thinking about this thread firing up my 7.3 liter Ford today at 24F ambient temp. Even that takes FOREVER to heat glow plugs....and three heating cycles is about right for this temp/truck to start on 7-8ncylinders

Aali1011 03-05-2019 10:42 AM

I never thought of cycling the glow plugs. Thanks for that. More likely than not I believe i will be picking up the Beru plugs. I hope the gentlemen from Diesel Rx calls but lets see what happens.

kajtek1 03-05-2019 10:57 AM

Don't compare MB to Ford for advise.
Ford is always at least 10 years behind with modern technology MB use.
your GP module cycles the voltage to GP even when you don't see it. Cycling the ignition interrupts computer program and that can't do any good.

mtrevelino 03-05-2019 03:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I usually end up attaching this to most of the glow plug threads. It shows how exactly the glow plug controller and glow plugs function.
Mike T.

mtrevelino 03-05-2019 03:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is one more glow plug article that is interesting.
Mike T.

peter2772000 03-06-2019 06:41 AM

Very interesting reading, thanks for posting.

Andrew Barnes 12-01-2021 08:09 PM

Om649.901 glow plugs

Originally Posted by Aali1011 (Post 7695629)
Hello All,

Hoping to get some clarification regarding glow plugs. I have searched and come to find that the OM648 needs 5v Glow plugs and not 11.5. I believe this is the difference between Beru (5v) and Bosch (11.5v). I purchased my car from a family member and they had given me some Diesel RX Glow plugs. However after searching their website and here i can't seem to find anything stating that they work for our cars. The T1N Sprinter supposedly takes the same Glow plugs as the W211. I was able to find the following Link where a Sprinter owner is using them without issue. By the transitive property then they should work. I have emailed Diesel RX for confirmation but wanted to see if anybody on the forum had any information or could confirm.

I know that only 2 of the 6 plugs have been changed and the car hates to start sometimes so i would like to alleviate the issue.

Thanks

I’ve found in South Africa we get Bosch 12v and ngk12v. May be as we don’t have snow and ice?! My first glow plug change at 213,000s!!
What dealers here recommend Bosch I bought (0 250 202 142aEAF ALSO HAS 955 & 855 and Duraterm 008 on box). It came from German factory with 11,5 Denso’s.
I’m not a mechanic but got a glow plug light staying on so rand coding and got code for the no 2 glow plug. As per attached and what I learned later was. It’s not the actual no2 cylinder (2nd from front on straight 6 but second from back) but the no 5 cyclindeer!! Firing order.. The om648 right at bottom!
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...f5a27e3df.jpeg