MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   Diesel Forum (https://mbworld.org/forums/diesel-forum-76/)
-   -   Longer crank time. (https://mbworld.org/forums/diesel-forum/741203-longer-crank-time.html)

smiledr996s 04-08-2019 07:30 PM

Longer crank time.

Hello. I have a 2008 gl320cdi with a starting issue. In that it seems to take 2-3x as long as usual. I recently had the fuel filter and air filter changed,but the most recent change was filling up about 1/2 tank. I’m not sure if I picked up some bad diesel. It turns over fast and I had starter replaced probably 40k ago. Glow plugs have about 100k on them. No error codes. Any thoughts?

thank you
steve.

GabrielMacht 04-09-2019 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by smiledr996s (Post 7727160)
Hello. I have a 2008 gl320cdi with a starting issue. In that it seems to take 2-3x as long as usual. I recently had the fuel filter and air filter changed,but the most recent change was filling up about 1/2 tank. I’m not sure if I picked up some bad diesel. It turns over fast and I had starter replaced probably 40k ago. Glow plugs have about 100k on them. No error codes. Any thoughts?
For air filter changes click here
thank you
steve.

Hello!

Did you use OEM fuel filter or some aftermarket piece.
Because some low-quality aftermarket fuel filters can cause problems with fuel supply.
Also, are you getting any codes or a check engine light?

smiledr996s 04-09-2019 07:05 AM

It was factory. No codes. I had driven a few days after with many start and stops as well as long and short trips. It actually started after my first start up after I returned home from fueling. I had raised the vehicle to check the underside after having a lot of suspension/steering repairs after fill up. This was the first time the problem occurred

I just started this morning and it started normal. I will try some more today, but my feeling is that it will probably act up when the engine is warmer.

My best thought is maybe marginal diesel. I usually go with shell or Exxon, but the local kangaroo station had .30 less and was closer. It is a fairly large station so I would think it would not be too old. Also not my first time.

i would like to add a fuel treatment but I don’t see many recommendations for Mercedes

Micah / AF1 Rac 04-09-2019 09:10 AM

Fuel filter lines or clamps, or center wayervin fuel monitor o-rings. If there is ANY visible diesel on top of fuel filter, that’s your problem, my om648 did same before I shortened lines at filter SLIGHTLY and switched to McMaster Carr smoothband EFI type fuel line clamps. Might be doing some of this in future with Gates heat-shrink clamps...if you haven’t seen them they are brilliant for water connections at least.

kajtek1 04-09-2019 10:40 AM

$7 Bluetooth scanner will tell you rail pressure.

smiledr996s 04-09-2019 02:33 PM

It started fine all but once today. Which was 5 times. There is nothing noticeable as far as a leak on the filter. I have had that in the past when the prongs probably were not changed.

I plan to drop off tomorrow at the mechanic for the front air springs. I have a 2 hr drive round trip today. So I will try to get a fresh fill up tonight. If the fuel is any possibility

edit. I just talked with my mechanic. He said that the gas station in question down the road from him is known to have water in the tanks at times. :-( He mentioned maybe just add some stabil

smiledr996s 04-10-2019 12:52 PM

So...... was finally able to talk to the management at the gas station today. I told her I think there is water in the tank because I started to have starting issues. She immediately responded that there was a issue and claims were being submitted because......the fueling truck started to fill with unleaded gas then realized their mistake. Someone directed them to just finish filling with diesel. So it’s not water but a blend.

I am waiting for a csll back from their claims which probably will take a few days. Also will reach out to Mercedes to get their suggestions. Will probably have towed to Mercedes for a quote.

kajtek1 04-10-2019 05:47 PM

All the reports after taking diesel MB to a dealer after putting gas in it -were talking about dealer wanting huge money for tank replacement if not engine replacement.
Might be good if you can get your money back from fuel supplier, but most of the time owners just top it off with diesel and drive, No reports about blown engines, when we have several reports about diesel seized after servicing by dealers.

smiledr996s 04-10-2019 07:53 PM

Right now. I will ask that all that fuel touches will be replaced. After talking with my mechanic he felt Mercedes will probably replace the fuel system components such as injectors , high and low pressure pumps ,and what ever else able to. Hopefully there is not any damage to the engine. Will probably try for having them check compression through glow plugs and have a new set thrown in. Also try to have them look and see if any detonation evidence since the gas would detonate sooner.

Will see. Just glad a major carrier and not a small mom and pop or POS station

smiledr996s 04-30-2019 07:48 PM

Bring an 08 with 185k. Circle k ins carrier travelers ins wants to total my vehicle. I don’t figure I have much I can do. I picked up from dealer and will just drive and see what happens over the next week. Dealer eat with replacement of tank was around 14k. It might have had a catalytic converter on the estimate. Ins will give me 7k to keep car and 11 to give it. I am not sure at this point. I hate to part with it. I am guessing the station won’t step up and cover their mistake.

I will take the sample to be tested to see the amount of gas that was present in the diesel fuel.

For 1100 they would have partial drained the tank. But said since a Saddle tank a good bit would be left. So I just added 11 gallons and will see.

kajtek1 04-30-2019 11:59 PM

So sounds like you have $4000 car now.
Don't think it is bad deal
Keep topping it off with diesel every 100 miles for next 500 miles.
If you don't feel any bad symptoms now, slim chance something will happen later.

smiledr996s 05-01-2019 10:43 PM

Running liqui moly super diesel additive. Will hopefully get lucky. I plan on driving the fuel sample down tomorrow for testing. Hopefully a low concentration of gas in the fuel.

I will see how the oil sample reads when I send off to black stone next oil change. If all looks good I will probably start changing fuel components starting with the low pressure fuel pumps. Since my gauge is starting to be a bit inaccurate

smiledr996s 05-03-2019 08:50 PM

As a side note I was having a squeal when I cut off my engine. This had been present for quite a while and will come and go. I assumed it was a tensioner or the water pump. It went away I am guessing from the super diesel additive, so I am guessing it was my high pressure pump. I will probably use a bottle every 3-4 fill ups. At $7 bottle it is cheap ins.

EDIT. Never mind it’s back as the weather cooled. Not sure what it is. Will have Indy hunt for it next time.

Speaking with the owner of the fuel lab doing the analysis of my diesel. He noted that the low sulfur fuels don’t lubricate well like they had previously with the older fuels.

I had avoided Any additives in the past as I had read that Mercedes did not recommend. But at this point I figure I have nothing to lose.

smiledr996s 05-15-2019 10:14 PM

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...43ac609558.png

smiledr996s 05-16-2019 04:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by smiledr996s (Post 7756559)

Sorry here is a better view