Diesel Forum Forum for Diesel engine vehicle related discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New (to me) 2008 E320 Blurtec. Rough excell and deletes ieas. & Tune?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-27-2019, 02:21 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2008 E320 Bluetec
New (to me) 2008 E320 Blurtec. Rough excell and deletes ieas. & Tune?

Greetings knowledgeable friends and owners of the Mercedes Bluetec.
I recently moved on from my CLK55 to the only car I thought could satisfy my love of torque, mileage, and comfort. A 2008 E320 Bluetec.
So far, I’m doing OK. I miss the handling though. Now I need educating on a few things. I’ve been scouring the threads on fixes, deletes, preventative things and …Tunes. But between changes in the years, I get a bit mixed up.

First I should say it has 135K miles and was really taken care of up to abbot 110K but not taken care of in it’s recent history.
So I started with the basics. Changed the Oil and filter, Air filters, Fuel filter, PVC valve, tube and seals. Turbo intake seal. At this point, it still does not accelerate completely smooth. You can feel slight surging between gear change through moderate throttle.
And the transmission is about the worst I have ever had. It may be the levels of converter lock up but it bounces you front and back about 9 times before cruising speed. 3 times in 2nd gear alone. And it’s worse in comfort mode. Not where I keep it but boy, it’s bouncy.. So I have lots of questions but 1st, the transmission. Think I need to get a Star diagnostics to see what’s up? Then, ideas about deletes-EGR for one. And a tune for the fun of it all.

I welcome ideas on any or all of these and I thoroughly enjoy all your varied experience and personalities. Thanks in advance, Kevin

Last edited by IBelieve; 04-27-2019 at 02:29 PM.
Old 04-27-2019, 02:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,379 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
Your car doesn't have DEF, when I sold my 2008 320 BTC with 190 k miles and factory DPF.
Get a gauge to monitor DPF regeneration and you should be good for life.
I also did not have any troubles with transmission.
Originally those transmission had single service scheduled at 40k miles and I check that PO did that. Even transmission was running perfect, I did another ATF change at 180k.
So in your case I would start with ATF change. You have converter plug, so easy drain all of it.
What was noticeable on V6 diesel is huge torque both ways. Meaning slight tap on gas pedal, or backing up 1" would make some jerking. I had traction control coming each time I pushed it on freeway ramp. You have to be gentle with gas pedal on this engine.

Last edited by kajtek1; 04-27-2019 at 02:42 PM.
Old 04-27-2019, 04:44 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2008 E320 Bluetec
Originally Posted by kajtek1
Your car doesn't have DEF, when I sold my 2008 320 BTC with 190 k miles and factory DPF.
Get a gauge to monitor DPF regeneration and you should be good for life.
To be clear, you think I do or do not have the DPF?
And your E320, what is BTC?

On the transmission, the regular shifts at any amount of acceleration are a bump. But the converter lock up (More than once between 2 and 3) are really rough. At slight power, the whole car bounces forward and back a few times. Just a bump forward with more pedal.

I will do a trany fluid exchange. Great advice, thanks.
Old 04-27-2019, 07:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,379 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
2008 does have DPF, but doesn't have DEF, what is another item to maintain and their DEF tank heaters are not cheap.
We all love shortcuts, and instead of Bluetec, I call it BTC.
The following users liked this post:
IBelieve (04-27-2019)