MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   Diesel Forum (https://mbworld.org/forums/diesel-forum-76/)
-   -   Which 2010-2014 Diesel sedan to buy? (https://mbworld.org/forums/diesel-forum/743253-2010-2014-diesel-sedan-buy.html)

jhawkssis 04-29-2019 12:54 PM

Which 2010-2014 Diesel sedan to buy?

Long time lurker, first time poster. Is there a post/sticky somewhere with a list of things to look for
OR Common problems at certain mileages? I know certain models are prone to different things.
Had a 2005 CDI, and was a absolute beast and my 2008 CDI was riddled with problems.

I am looking to purchase two Diesel 2010-2015 W204's (less than 80K) in the next few weeks, but want to make sure I cover all my bases.
I always purchase cars with detailed dealer maintenance records, but I want to make sure problem areas
were covered. I do a pre-purchase at a local MB dealer, but don't want to pay for it until I can rule out potential problems that were not serviced before this step.
What are the most reliable and best MPG?
Is the 2.1 Biturbo really that good and what models have it?

Thanks in advance,
Jack

kajtek1 04-29-2019 02:28 PM

Since you choose not to disclosure your location, I can tell that in US you have 2 choices.
OM642 engine who you already did own with bad luck - great performer, but higher maintenance with oil cooler seals, intake flaps and EGR clogs
OM651 where engine itself doesn't seem to have issues (but than not too many of them reporting over 200k miles) but emission system has weak points.
I Love OM651 for simplicity over its older, bigger brother and potential for 60 mpg.
For DPF finally ScanGauge makes gauges, while worse come to worse - emission systems deletes are getting more and more options.
Good luck on the purchase.

Plutoe 04-30-2019 09:02 AM

I wouldent be talking to the rear end of the horse, I'd be looking for a MB dealer master tech, not a sausage willy, who could provide real in depth insight into your questions.

TexasGL 04-30-2019 10:16 AM

BMW 335D with all deletes is ur best option, unless u want to deal with all bluetec problem on the mercedes side also u can get a VW jetta 2015 for under 10k.

jhawkssis 04-30-2019 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by Plutoe (Post 7744928)
I wouldent be talking to the rear end of the horse, I'd be looking for a MB dealer master tech, not a sausage willy, who could provide real in depth insight into your questions.

Sorry I don't know any MB dealer master techs. That is why I posted something here hoping one might offer some guidance.
I guess I am just a sausage willy:(

SEC1939 05-01-2019 01:05 PM

I had an 05 CDI 3.2 . Never a major issue 250,000 miles, a water pump and a few glow plugs. Car sold in about 6 hours after listing.

I now have the 2.1 diesel. at 53k no issues. This engine in a few different displacements is very popular in the EU for taxis and private cars. I think this same engine is in the Sprinter van here.

Never had the V6 diesel, but I I think it is out of production.Probably for a reason.

kombifan 05-01-2019 01:44 PM

[QUOTE=jhawkssis;7745610]Sorry I don't know any MB dealer master techs. That is why I posted something here hoping one might offer some guidance.
I guess I am just a sausage willy:([/QUiOTE]

ignore Plutoe.

Ask any question you want.

The diesels in the us are hampered...they have many expensive issues.
These can be fixed with a tune. The legality/morality is always up to debate.

In Europe, and everywhere else except ca; the Diesel engines are fine. You won’t have the emissions probe lems so popular on here
so location is quite important.

You’ve experienced the issues with your 08.
If you’re looking for carefree motoring in the us. Best bet is to buy it from carmax with maxcare.
6 years of warranty coverage!
Otherwise research the issues and be prepared to 🐚 out some clams for the tune and fixes.

Best of Luck!

kombifan 05-01-2019 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by SEC1939 (Post 7745993)
I had an 05 CDI 3.2 . Never a major issue 250,000 miles, a water pump and a few glow plugs. Car sold in about 6 hours after listing.

I now have the 2.1 diesel. at 53k no issues. This engine in a few different displacements is very popular in the EU for taxis and private cars. I think this same engine is in the Sprinter van here.

Never had the V6 diesel, but I I think it is out of production.Probably for a reason.

Om642 is stil in production. Just diesels pulled from us market after dieselgate

Originally Posted by TexasGL (Post 7744984)
BMW 335D with all deletes is ur best option, unless u want to deal with all bluetec problem on the mercedes side also u can get a VW jetta 2015 for under 10k.

Texas gl has some cool alternatives.
Have you checked out the audi diesels? A6.a8 A7. Q5 etc?

jhawkssis 05-03-2019 09:11 AM

[QUOTE=kombifan;7746014]

Originally Posted by jhawkssis (Post 7745610)
Sorry I don't know any MB dealer master techs. That is why I posted something here hoping one might offer some guidance.
I guess I am just a sausage willy:([/QUiOTE]

ignore Plutoe.

Ask any question you want.

The diesels in the us are hampered...they have many expensive issues.
These can be fixed with a tune. The legality/morality is always up to debate.

In Europe, and everywhere else except ca; the Diesel engines are fine. You won’t have the emissions probe lems so popular on here
so location is quite important.

You’ve experienced the issues with your 08.
If you’re looking for carefree motoring in the us. Best bet is to buy it from carmax with maxcare.
6 years of warranty coverage!
Otherwise research the issues and be prepared to 🐚 out some clams for the tune and fixes.

kombifan.
Thanks for taking the time to offer some guidance. This is the kind of info I was looking for! I never knew about the Maxcare warranty. I will be researching that in great detail over the next few days. I know the emissions in the US hamper max MPG. I was just looking which engine to absolutely avoid or which ones have a reputation of lasting. MB has made some diesels that were bullet proof such as the inline 5 in the 300D and the 2.2 L, inline 4 cylinder turbo in the 220CDI.
Not a fan of Audi, but those Jetta TDI they are unloading might be a option for my daughters:)

Best of Luck!

kombifan 05-03-2019 10:03 AM

[QUOTE=jhawkssis;7747487]i just wanted to be clear. The Mercedes diesels are far from bulletproof in the us.

Even the 4 cylinder om651 engine has issues. the glk forum has detailed a lot of these issues, including nox and dpf issues as well as the regular adblue problems.

Maxcare is the longest warranty option, but cpo (max 3 years) is also a good idea to stem the flow from your wallet to the dealer as it will be covered.
You will still be going to the dealerships often if the problems show up.

The audi/vw engines don’t Seem to has the catastrophic issues , at least from my knowledge, that the mb ones have documented in this forum. But they do have the adblue heater failure as well.

https://www.carmax.com/cars/e250
three for sale currently. Any salesperson can quote you the price of maxcAre over the phone

kombifan 05-03-2019 10:21 AM

This is the best resource I can give you.

http://www.stephensservice.com/bluet...ssuesproblems/

give him a call or email.

jhawkssis 05-03-2019 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by kombifan (Post 7747527)
This is the best resource I can give you.

http://www.stephensservice.com/bluet...ssuesproblems/

give him a call or email.

Well after reading that summary, I shall look at some other options other than BlueTec. I can't thank you enough!!
I think you just saved me a ton of headaches.
Just drove a 2.0 Jetta TDI today. Meh is my conclusion.
335d is next on my list.

kombifan 05-03-2019 10:17 PM

Sorry. It is possible but it is a labor of love.

The jetta tdi can be upgraded to the gtd turbo.

the 335 is more fun but the 535d is also nice.

kajtek1 05-03-2019 11:35 PM

What was bad with Jetta?
I drove 2003 Jetta and even it had only 90 HP, it was good performer.
As long as you are not taking passengers as with my driver seat moved back, the rear knee room was less than 2"