Diesel Forum Forum for Diesel engine vehicle related discussion

Anatomy of the BlueTec DPF Chamber

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-20-2020, 02:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 ML 350 Bluetec AWD
Anatomy of the BlueTec DPF Chamber

There's something puzzling to me when I look inside my DPF canister. As you can see from the photo, there are two separate and distinct—though visually identical—sections in this cutaway. Given I once read that the DPF is actually a combined DPF+DOC, I'm wondering if that explains this appearance.

A cursory search has led me to believe that the engine side section (right, near flange) might be a Diesel Oxidation Catalyst, while the left (hanger side) might be the Diesel Particulate Filter section. This is based on the fact that, in systems with separate components, the DOC is generally upstream of the DPF.

On the other hand, I have examined the material in the "DPF section" and it appears to allow light to pass through the tunnels unimpeded. This doesn't match up with what I've read regarding the design of DPF tunnels, which are blocked on one end and open on the other, forcing the exhaust gas through the walls of each tunnel thus filtering the larger soot particles.

My goal is to preserve the functionality of this alleged DOC while removing the unwanted DPF material. It is my understanding that the entire chamber is usually emptied during off-road modifications and tuning such as mine and, in some cases, an auxiliary DOC is installed to reduce odors. Two birds, one stone.

Any insights would be appreciated!