E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Day Time LEDs and Badge Question

Old 08-06-2012, 11:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'07 E550 Sport
Day Time LEDs and Badge Question

HI All,

Traded our 07 E550 for 2012 E550 Cabriolet and have a couple questions that I could not answer browsing the manual.

1. How do you set the lights so only the LED fog lights iluminate in the day time? (I tried the surround lighting setting and the headlights come on too.)

2. What the heck does the "Blue Efficiency" mean? A couple of my friends thought I had a diesel under the hood.

Thanks,

Steve
Old 08-06-2012, 04:38 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
2012 E350 Coupe
Originally Posted by Steve Bland
HI All,

Traded our 07 E550 for 2012 E550 Cabriolet and have a couple questions that I could not answer browsing the manual.

1. How do you set the lights so only the LED fog lights iluminate in the day time? (I tried the surround lighting setting and the headlights come on too.)

2. What the heck does the "Blue Efficiency" mean? A couple of my friends thought I had a diesel under the hood.

Thanks,

Steve
Welcome.

There is a dizzying array of driver-preference choices to be made with these cars. Best to read the manual thoroughly, painful as that may be, including the Menus and Submenus section toward the back.

As for the DRL's being on in daytime, following is for U.S. cars: Using the steering wheel controls and the multi-function dash display (not the Comand screen) -

Settings>Lights>OK>DayLights>OK. Be certain to have the main headlight switch in the "A" position.

The DRL's should now come on at full brightness in the daytime. At night, they will be on at reduced brightness.

The Blue Efficiency badge was slapped on the cars when the new-for-2012 Direct Injection engines were introduced. I imagine to highlight that they are a bit more fuel efficient than the previous engines. I've heard, but don't know for certain, that they've been removed from the 2013 models. If you don't like them they can be taken off, but best to know what you're doing, to avoid damage to the paint. They're just stuck on.

Best of luck with your new 550 cab. Great machine!

EDIT:

Hey, I just became a "Super Member!" Funny, I don't feel any different!!

Probably won't get me a raise either, in this crappy economy. II.

Last edited by BenzMan369; 08-06-2012 at 04:42 PM.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'07 E550 Sport
Follow Up

Thanks BenzMan369,

Just to clarify, "DRL" means daytime running lights, so you are saying that if I follow the instrucitons you posted that only the fog lights will be on, not the head lights? I want it to look like the picture in your post that show only the foglght LED's lit up, no headliights what so ever.

PS - It is good to be back on the board, I joined abour 10 years ago when I got my first used E430. Also had a 05 E500 for a few months, but bought the first E550 in Raleigh when I heard they were putting the 5.5L in the E class! Loved that engine!
Old 08-06-2012, 05:09 PM

2012 E350 Coupe
Originally Posted by Steve Bland
Thanks BenzMan369,

Just to clarify, "DRL" means daytime running lights, so you are saying that if I follow the instrucitons you posted that only the fog lights will be on, not the head lights? I want it to look like the picture in your post that show only the foglght LED's lit up, no headliights what so ever.

PS - It is good to be back on the board, I joined abour 10 years ago when I got my first used E430. Also had a 05 E500 for a few months, but bought the first E550 in Raleigh when I heard they were putting the 5.5L in the E class! Loved that engine!
Yep, if you follow the instructions, it should look just like the picture I'm currently using in the sig.

Sorry for the confusion. Y'see, when you're a "Super Member," you have to use cool terminology like "DRL."

Whether it's the old NA V8 or the new DI turbo, the 550 sure is a beast. Enjoy the heck out of it.

Hey, I did it again - more cool terminology: NA = naturally aspirated; DI = Direct Injection. Sorry - I need a life.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:04 PM

2012 E350 Coupe
Steve Bland - one caveat I forgot yesterday:

There has been some discussion as to whether having the P2 optional package, which includes the Bi-Xenon lighting upgrade, affects the ability to have the effect you 're looking for. I don't know if this was ever resolved or not.

If you follow the procedure and you still cannot get the DRL's on and fully lit when all the other front lights are off - like the picture - and if you don't have the P2 package, then that's the reason.

Hope it works for you.