MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-coupe-c207-cabrio-a207-141/)
-   -   Quaife LSD Installed!!! (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-coupe-c207-cabrio-a207/515407-quaife-lsd-installed.html)

nawlinstornado 10-01-2013 01:32 PM

Quaife LSD Installed!!!

6 Attachment(s)
Yesterday was the big day, and now I have an E550 Coupe with a Limited Slip Differential. Maybe even the very first in the world! This assertion has not been confirmed, but I'd like to think it's true:)

Anyway, the folks over at At Speed Motorsports (Hanover, MD) did a great job even though it took longer than the quoted 5 hours. That estimate was based on a C63 install a few weeks back. Apparently, the interface between the half-shafts and the differential is quite a bit different and necessitated the disassembly of the right-rear suspension and removal of the right half-shaft. But the process only added 2 hours to the project.

As advertised, there isn't any observable difference in regular driving. The Quaife is as smooth and silent as the stock unit. I haven't had the opportunity to really hammer on it (I'll give it a few miles to break in) but, during a "spirited" merge from a cloverleaf, the car was controlled and predictable without any interference from the e-nannies - a very new experience. The ESP light blinks a lot less, too.

I managed to get a few mid-install pics. Enjoy.

Dueclaws 10-02-2013 11:32 AM

Congratulations! This has been a long and arduous task.
I'm looking forward to seeing your new 0-60 and 1/4 mile numbers.

atgd 10-05-2013 03:03 PM

Congrats and about time that your wider shoes had something to help them bite more. How much did the slip + labor cost, btw. I am about to replace my 2010 E550C with a 2012 or 2013, so it's tempting.

nawlinstornado 10-06-2013 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by atgd (Post 5800970)
Congrats and about time that your wider shoes had something to help them bite more. How much did the slip + labor cost, btw. I am about to replace my 2010 E550C with a 2012 or 2013, so it's tempting.

I got a discount on the diff for being an early adopter, but I paid ~$1350 delivered, including import tax. Installation took 7 hours @ $120/hr + ~$50 in fluids. All in, I think I spent ~$2300.

I had to order mine from Bird's because, at the time, there was no North American distributor. Now there is one (Motovicity - http://www.motovicity.com/), so you might be able to get a better price through one of their retailers here in America. If not, expect to pay about $200 more for the diff. This is a $2500 upgrade that is worth every single penny.

atgd 10-19-2013 02:01 AM

Thanks. Much appreciated.

Looks like an the ECU + wider shoes + LSD is the way to go, to transform the 2012/2013 into the E63 AMG Coupe that MB should have released in the first place. Perhaps add a BBK as well.

nawlinstornado 10-21-2013 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by atgd (Post 5815369)
Thanks. Much appreciated.

Looks like an the ECU + wider shoes + LSD is the way to go, to transform the 2012/2013 into the E63 AMG Coupe that MB should have released in the first place. Perhaps add a BBK as well.

Brembo 6-piston 15" front/4-piston 13" rear upgrades are on the schedule for the spring.

Don't forget about downpipes and intake. I'm planning to buy the Kleeman downpipes and have some quality high-flow cats welded in. And AMS is supposed to be releasing a new carbon fibre intake early next year.

Goletiani 02-18-2014 09:17 AM

Do you have any instructions or video or installation? I also bought LSD from Qualife and there is no technician that knows how to install it. I am from republic of Georgia...

Dueclaws 02-18-2014 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Goletiani (Post 5946183)
Do you have any instructions or video or installation? I also bought LSD from Qualife and there is no technician that knows how to install it. I am from republic of Georgia...

Goletiani-

Nawlins hasn't posted on of the MB forums for many months. I suggest that you contact Quaife for assistance.

Nawlins posted pictures of his install and it looks like replacing any E550 coupe differential.

Due

nawlinstornado 03-07-2014 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by Goletiani (Post 5946183)

Instructions were included with the differential when I ordered it from Bird's UK. According to Kevin, no "special" differential installation required. It's a direct swap from factory to Quaife unit.

nawlinstornado 03-07-2014 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by Dueclaws (Post 5946289)
Goletiani-

Nawlins hasn't posted on of the MB forums for many months. I suggest that you contact Quaife for assistance.

Nawlins posted pictures of his install and it looks like replacing any E550 coupe differential.

Due

Sorry about that. I've been dealing with some personal issues since October, and continue to do so, but will be logging in a little more often now.

Dueclaws 03-07-2014 05:14 PM

Welcome back.
We missed your informative posts!

msr1 03-08-2014 08:51 PM

where i live my car needs to flex alot, like entering drive thrus and other places that are not leveled with the street, and sometime 1 wheel gets in the air and the car just loses traction. and wont go in cause all the power is in 1 wheel. has this ever hapened to u? also i hear my roof cracking sometimes when the car flexes:eek:

Dueclaws 03-11-2014 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by msr1 (Post 5967431)
where i live my car needs to flex alot, like entering drive thrus and other places that are not leveled with the street, and sometime 1 wheel gets in the air and the car just loses traction. and wont go in cause all the power is in 1 wheel. has this ever hapened to u? also i hear my roof cracking sometimes when the car flexes:eek:

Our '12 E550 coupe has never the wheel in the air or roof cracking. Yes: unless you add a Quaife like Nawlins did, the rear tires will lose traction.

Goletiani 04-16-2014 05:57 AM

Already installed! Works Great!!! Thanks

nawlinstornado 05-07-2014 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by msr1 (Post 5967431)

I had that problem with my 2011. The 2012 roof is great but there is a rattle in the headliner that MB has tried fixing 4 times already. Each time they try, it goes away for a while but returns even worse. Last time it started again the same day I picked her up. So damn frustrating!!!!

serg.wayne 08-28-2017 05:43 PM

let me revive this thread please.

guys, who did dig into this question, do you know which LSD compatible with E200 w212 Coupe (2015) differential?

400ixl 08-30-2017 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by serg.wayne (Post 7251397)
let me revive this thread please.

guys, who did dig into this question, do you know which LSD compatible with E200 w212 Coupe (2015) differential?

It may make a difference (but probably not) but the Coupe is the C207 not the W212 as that is the E class Saloon.

serg.wayne 08-31-2017 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by 400ixl (Post 7253351)
It may make a difference (but probably not) but the Coupe is the C207 not the W212 as that is the E class Saloon.

yep, i may be wrong, it is coupe E200 2015 year. i see w212 and c207 for that model.

400ixl 08-31-2017 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by serg.wayne (Post 7253943)
yep, i may be wrong, it is coupe E200 2015 year. i see w212 and c207 for that model.

The E Class Coupe 2010-2017 is based on the C class platform with the look of the E class. Whilst it shares some components with the W212 / S212 E class models there are many parts which look the same but aren't.

The Coupe is the C207 and the Cabriolet is the A207. Collaboratively they are known as the W207 models.

The engine & gearbox may well (and probably are) identical but things like engine mounts are probably different.

So for an LSD it probably makes no difference, but best to use the right model designation with the suppliers to avoid any issues. Would hate for you to have to redo things etc. Never a nice experience when the wrong parts arrive with the time and effort it wastes. Been there before :(

serg.wayne 08-31-2017 01:52 PM

thanks for explanation, will be looking for right model c207!

vrmmm 03-21-2019 04:27 PM

Does anyone know if the factory original C63 LSD (W204 or W205) rear diff would be a direct swap for the W207 '13 E550 rear diff? I would love to get a Quaife, but it would be much more cost effective to find a C63 with the LSD option in a salvage yard to buy and swap out with my E550 diff. THANKS!

FactoryFast 09-21-2019 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by vrmmm (Post 7711387)
Does anyone know if the factory original C63 LSD (W204 or W205) rear diff would be a direct swap for the W207 '13 E550 rear diff? I would love to get a Quaife, but it would be much more cost effective to find a C63 with the LSD option in a salvage yard to buy and swap out with my E550 diff. THANKS!

Does anyone know if this is possible?

vrmmm 09-26-2019 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by FactoryFast (Post 7860181)
Does anyone know if this is possible?

Apparently not! I have been waiting for a response to my question, but nobody has piped up.

Flypenfly 09-26-2019 10:27 PM

Unless you’re doing a lot of track days, I don’t see why you’d want an LSD.

SLcharge 09-27-2019 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by nawlinstornado (Post 5796738)
Yesterday was the big day, and now I have an E550 Coupe with a Limited Slip Differential. Maybe even the very first in the world! This assertion has not been confirmed, but I'd like to think it's true:)

Anyway, the folks over at At Speed Motorsports (Hanover, MD) did a great job even though it took longer than the quoted 5 hours. That estimate was based on a C63 install a few weeks back. Apparently, the interface between the half-shafts and the differential is quite a bit different and necessitated the disassembly of the right-rear suspension and removal of the right half-shaft. But the process only added 2 hours to the project.

As advertised, there isn't any observable difference in regular driving. The Quaife is as smooth and silent as the stock unit. I haven't had the opportunity to really hammer on it (I'll give it a few miles to break in) but, during a "spirited" merge from a cloverleaf, the car was controlled and predictable without any interference from the e-nannies - a very new experience. The ESP light blinks a lot less, too.

I managed to get a few mid-install pics. Enjoy.

I fully understand your desire for a LSD. Have had it in several of my high powered cars, it gives you a much better control.
No fishtailing in slippery conditions. ( ESP not kicking in )
Getting on the throttle sooner in corners, without the rear braking out.
Less power shift L/R, giving better control of vehicle under high power acceleration.

i am planing to get one too, as soon as I can get away with it, without the missus finding out about it. :D

:cheers: