E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Dashboard Fire, Help E350

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 08:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350 coupe
Exclamation Dashboard Fire, Help E350

Hey, hope you are all well.

I'm writing this in regards to my 2011 E350 coupe.

Two days ago I was in a meeting and was notified my car was on fire from the inside. After the fire department was done and I was able to check the inside; it looked like it originated from the dashboard where the navigation screen was. I am just curious if anyone else has or knows anyone that might have experienced a similar issue? My insurance has it as a right off but as it is an older model, does not want to do a proper inspection to see what the cause was. I am just concerned as me and my whole family has only owned Mercedes vehicles, and I recently had purchased a new GLE coupe to add to my Benz family. This incidence has shaken my faith in their cars and risen my concern for my safety. In addition, if my insurance tries to undercut me with the amount payable for the right off I want to know what actions I can take with Mercedes to compensate me equal to my loss (if possible at all).

If anyone has had any similar experience or has had to deal with Mercedes with compensation, I would appreciate any and all input as I have no clue on how I should proceed.

Thank you all in advance.

Old 10-11-2017, 06:50 AM

Received 67 Likes on 60 Posts
E250 AMG Sport Convertible
What stereo was in it? Was it Command or Audio 20/50?

Reason for asking is that the command system has additional fans in order to keep the unit cooler as it runs very hot. Some people who have converted from Audio 20/50 to Command and not fitted the additional fans have had issues which could lead to a fire such as you had. Therefore, I assume if those fans fail on a factory fit Command system the same may apply.
Old 10-11-2017, 02:52 PM

Received 143 Likes on 118 Posts
2016 E400 Coupe (C207)
Originally Posted by 400ixl
What stereo was in it? Was it Command or Audio 20/50?

Reason for asking is that the command system has additional fans in order to keep the unit cooler as it runs very hot. Some people who have converted from Audio 20/50 to Command and not fitted the additional fans have had issues which could lead to a fire such as you had. Therefore, I assume if those fans fail on a factory fit Command system the same may apply.
The owner's manual for my 2016 model notes that the COMAND screen will shut itself off if it becomes too hot; perhaps that thermal trigger malfunctioned in your car.
Old 10-11-2017, 03:51 PM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
2003 E500, 2004 G35X
Suggest that you file a complaint with NHTSA and attached your photos with it. A fire is a serious matter and hope they will investigate it. Keep the car for investigation. Short of getting a lawyer (probably not worth it), I don't see any other way to get MB to step up. By the way, have you reported this to MB with photos? If you haven't, suggest you to do so.