MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-coupe-c207-cabrio-a207-141/)
-   -   New guy, a few questions (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-coupe-c207-cabrio-a207/696228-new-guy-few-questions.html)

12E550Cab 01-22-2018 09:37 PM

New guy, a few questions

Hey all!

So, just bought my first MB, a 2012 E550 Cabriolet (hence the username!) and I have a few questions I hope the all-knowing forum can help me with!

1) My car is the white color (which I'm really not too crazy about, but still...) and every bit of road grime is showing up behind the wheels. Isn't there a set of flaps/guards I can get for this car? I can't seem to find any!!
2) Is there a good maintenance manual I can get to do my own work on the car? I've had Haynes/Chilton's for my other cars and such, but I imagine that this one would have a better one available?
3) I absolutely can not figure out how to add/switch the presets on my stereo system. If there's a Save button somewhere, I can't figure it out! Same for adding new POI's for the Nav system.
4) Is there a way to tell if my back up camera display is supposed to have the guide lines for where your car is going when you turn? (you know, those curved lines that swing around as you steer) I thought for sure my car had them when I first got it, then I was playing around with settings and switches and stuff, and now they are not there. But, I may be losing it, if I remember incorrectly if they were there to begin with!!

I'm sure I'll have more questions in the future, but maybe you all can help me here!

Many thanks!
Paul

Mr. Toad 01-23-2018 09:36 AM

Hi Paul,

I'm sorry that I can't help with most of your questions, but I do have a couple of notes.

Regarding the maintenance manual, there's relatively little DIY information available about these cars; you'll likely soon realize that MB wants you to patronize their dealership service departments for even the simplest things, like checking that your horn works (seriously).

I'm not 100% certain, but I doubt that your backup camera display features the parking guide lines. When I was researching the purchase of my car (a 2016 E400), I discovered that prior years did not have the lines. To be clear, I was looking at E350 and E400, models, so there's a small chance that higher-end cars like yours have the lines, but I suspect that the software used is fairly similar across the model lineup in a given year.

teksurv 01-23-2018 02:56 PM

3) Look on the center stack for the number pad, like a telephone. Find a station you like, then press and hold a number, I believe it beeps when accepted. Then, simply press each preset to switch, or set your center dash display (between speedo and tach) to the radio setting, and you can use up/down on left side of steering wheel. Sorry, have a 2018 E coupe now with way different system, going from memory.

4) I do not think 2012's have the guidelines. Later years did get them.

Michiganstar 01-23-2018 04:08 PM

We also have a Calcite white car and suffer quite badly with tar deposits etc over here during winter. I've used the Carlack acrylic system sealant on it http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acata...-kit-cat1.html which has proved excellent so far. The manual tells you all the other stuff you've asked.

Ptrigg17 01-23-2018 05:33 PM

Hi Paul,
My 2012 E 550 Cabrio does not have the parking guidelines.

dudley07726 01-23-2018 06:38 PM

My 13 E350 Cab (departed) didn’t have the parking guidelines. My 18 E400’s Coupe does as does my 16 Audi A6.

12E550Cab 01-24-2018 05:35 PM

Thanks all for the info! :D

12E550Cab 02-12-2018 10:56 PM

So, some issues resolved! Thanks! Just to be clear, my car is the A207 body style, yes? Are there similarities with another code car?

Still looking for good (aftermarket I presume?) mud flaps behind the wheels to keep the dirt from slinging all over the car. I found some generic ones, but those are like what you'd put behind pickup truck tires. Ugh.

Is there an SD card reader in the factory sound system? I have a miniature buttload of music on my SD, but seemingly no way to play my own music, except for copying all on a disc. Sloooowwww access!

My Nav maps are wayyy behind, like 2012 edition (never got updated!) Is there a way to update it myself without having to go to dealer? And I'm not even sure about the COMAND s/w either. How do I check if that's current? (not likely though!)

ETA: Oh, also, I have the brackets already for some kind of pop in windscreen in the back seat area. Anybody know what that is called, and where I might look to see if I need one? :D

So far, really enjoying this car though, she's awesome!

Mr. Toad 02-13-2018 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by 12E550Cab (Post 7379916)
Is there an SD card reader in the factory sound system? I have a miniature buttload of music on my SD, but seemingly no way to play my own music, except for copying all on a disc. Sloooowwww access!

My car has an SD slot in the center stack of the dash (near the CD slot) and a couple of USB ports in the console (in the compartment under the armrest). Not sure if it makes a difference, but I have the Harman Kardon sound system.

My Nav maps are wayyy behind, like 2012 edition (never got updated!) Is there a way to update it myself without having to go to dealer? And I'm not even sure about the COMAND s/w either. How do I check if that's current? (not likely though!)

You'll probably have to go to the dealer to get the navi and/or COMAND software updates. Again, there's not much non-dealer support for these cars. My previous car was a BMW 3-Series and it was very easy to get map updates from forum vendors for about $50, which was much cheaper than the $400-$500 charged by the dealer. Unfortunately, I haven't seen mention of options like that around this forum.

ETA: Oh, also, I have the brackets already for some kind of pop in windscreen in the back seat area. Anybody know what that is called, and where I might look to see if I need one? :D

Are you referring to a pair of collapsing metal arms at the bottom of the rear windscreen glass? If so, they are motorized and raise/lower a mesh sunshade. The button to activate the motor should be in the row of silver buttons in the center stack of the dash, above the HVAC controls (at least that's where mine is). The icon on the switch should look something like this (mine is silver, not black):

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...a447156f2a.png

Flash Gordon 02-13-2018 09:05 AM

Try e-Bay for mud flaps. I got my rear mud flaps for my Macan on e-Bay.

12E550Cab 02-16-2018 10:12 AM

Thanks For the info! No, there are 2 small brackets on the sill, right about where rear passenger shoulders would be, look like little buttons, and they do push in. I think some other windscreen would fit in there.

400ixl 02-18-2018 11:39 AM

Stereo and Nav wise you need to know what system you have for people to help. It could be Audio 20, Audio 50 or Command. The Audio 20 models have the Becker Map Pilot sat nav with a module in the glovebox and the Command is a disk based update, not sure on the Audio 50.

As mentioned above, if you have the USB port in the arm rest you could put you music on a memory stick and plug it into there. You could also just bluetooth it off of a phone for example.

The holes you mention are for the wind deflector if you want to add it. Personally not found the need, had one for my Saab (-3 but the rear on on the A207 does a pretty good job when raised along with the front deflector at the top of the windscreen raised. If you do want one, this is an example one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TAN-WINDST...IAAOSwubFadE4n

As for the model number, the A207 is the Convertible, the C207 is the Coupe, the general platform is the W207. Some parts are shared with the main E class platform which is the W212.

12E550Cab 03-09-2018 03:10 PM

Another question (don't kill me!)

I have the HK sound system in my car, but sorely lacking in bottom end sound. Almost tinny. I've adjusted the sound in bass/treble as much as i can, but there really is little bass.

Is there any fitted sub that can be added, like a factory sub of some sort? Or a good one with a fairly compact enclosure that wouldn't be hard to add?
I don't want to shake the whole car or neighbors, but when I'm listening to my favorites like Dream Theater, Haken, Eliot Lipp, etc. I need some good bass!

Any help appreciated!

WRC-LVR 03-11-2018 07:09 PM

My a207 2012 e350 ( USA) does have the slot in the dash for the SD card. Harmon Kardon system. Mine takes the larger adapter that normally comes with the micro sd cards when you buy them. Works very well. I bought an 8GB. Plenty room for many songs. Recognized right away and no issues. My car does have the Comand software etc with mbrace, all the drivers assist packages/Distronic etc and all the AMG packages though so it might be different than yours.

For my car, the rear wind deflector has a button on the console under the smaller cover. Raises both the AirCap front deflector and the rear one. Be aware that the rear deflector works in a limited fashion if you have rear passengers or if the rear seatbelts are connected. ( I do this as the belts seem to make some noise with the top down at speed )

Only thing I wish mine had is the rear passenger heater/ac control package that allows a thrid zone controllable by the rear passengers. Wasnt available here in the USA so I am told.

Milburn

Mr. Toad 03-12-2018 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by 12E550Cab (Post 7400468)
I have the HK sound system in my car, but sorely lacking in bottom end sound. Almost tinny. I've adjusted the sound in bass/treble as much as i can, but there really is little bass.

That's very odd; with the Treble-Mid-Bass controls all set to flat ("0") in my car, the bass is overwhelming (like a gangster rapper's car). I have the Bass knob set to "-4", so I strongly suspect that you have a blown woofer or other technical issue.

a64armt 03-12-2018 08:16 AM

I can only comment on the tech/service manual inquiry; ALLDATADIY. They offer a subscription service for manuals that are updated and often the same manuals used by professional shops. I have them for my other cars and they are great. I did a quick search and they offer a subscription for the 2012 E550 cabrio. I am eagerly awaiting the manual for my wife’s 2015 GLK250.

they offer parts info, detailed diagrams, troubleshooting, special tool info, tech bulletins and rework/repair procedures.

OJ