E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Air Bags Replaced, C207

Old 11-13-2018, 04:33 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2017 E300, 2017 C300
Air Bags Replaced, C207

Thought I would post about my airbag replacement experience. Back in April 2016, I received my first letter from MBUSA telling me that my driver's side airbag needed to be replaced and they would notify me when the replacement part was available. Then in June 2016 I received a similar letter for my passenger side airbag..In November 2016 a letter arrived with an estimated parts availability date in January 2017. I received two more estimated parts availability letters in 2017 an two in 2018. The last letter estimated June 2018 availability for the replacement airbags. This past July I telephoned MBUSA and they said that they had no idea when the parts would be available.

Then, finally on Saturday November 3rd, I received a letter from MBUSA telling me that the parts were now available and that I should contact my dealer and arrange for the installation of the replacement airbags. On Monday, November 5th I called my service advisor (a knowledgeable dependable guy) to schedule an appointment. He checked with the parts department who said the parts were on back order. I was very frustrated and called MBUSA again and complained that in spite of their most recent letter, the replacement air bags were on back order.

The MBUSA representative asked me to hold on. When she came back on the line she said that I should personally meet with my dealer's parts department manager and ask him to put in a Special Order for the replacement air bags. Rather than drive to the dealer, I called my service advisor and told him what the MBUSA representative said. He went to the parts manager who called the Special Order into MBUSA. An hour later my service advisor called me back and said that he would have the replacement air bags on Thursday. The airbags arrived as promised and yesterday I had them installed.

According to the letter from MBUSA it is supposed to take only 1 1/2 hours to replace both air bags. My service advisor said the shop manual allows 1.7 hours. I brought my car to the dealer at 8:00AM yesterday and decided to wait for the install. However, after 2 hours my service advisor checked and the mechanic said it would probably be another two hours before the job was finished. I could not wait two more hour because I had another appointment. My service advisor set me up with a loaner car and off I went. He called me about 2 1/2 hours later to inform me the air bags were changed, they checked out the entire car and washed it. I picked up my car later in the afternoon. I am a "happy camper".

For those of you still waiting for air bag replacements, perhaps you can learn something from my experience. Check with your service advisor, parts department or contact the parts manager at your dealership. MBUSA has replacement air bags. I do not know how many, but the sooner you act the better chance you will have to get your air bags replaced.
Old 11-14-2018, 03:29 AM

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
2015 E400 Coupe
Over here we are scheduled to have replacements in 2019
Old 11-14-2018, 08:06 AM

Received 143 Likes on 118 Posts
2016 E400 Coupe (C207)
I had a similar experience with BMW. I received the notification letter, which indicated that they would inform me when the parts were available. After almost a year, I called BMW NA and expressed my dissatisfaction at the amount of time that had transpired since their letter and my concerns about my personal safety. They express shipped the parts to my dealer while I was on the phone and advised me that the dealer would notify me when the parts had arrived. I received a call from the dealer within 48 hours and the recall was completed within one week. The squeaky wheel...
Old 12-02-2018, 08:09 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2010 E350 Cabriolet (A207), 2007 (MY08) S350 W221, 2013 ML350 BT W166
Once i took ownership of mine i filled in the update info on the MB Australian website regarding the airbag recall but ive never received any kind of notification since then....
Old 12-19-2018, 01:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C207 E550 Coupe
Originally Posted by bmeck2003
Thought I would post about my airbag replacement experience. Back in April 2016, I received my first letter from MBUSA telling me that my driver's side airbag needed to be replaced and they would notify me when the replacement part was available. Then in June 2016 I received a similar letter for my passenger side airbag..In November 2016 a letter arrived with an estimated parts availability date in January 2017. I received two more estimated parts availability letters in 2017 an two in 2018. The last letter estimated June 2018 availability for the replacement airbags. This past July I telephoned MBUSA and they said that they had no idea when the parts would be available.

Then, finally on Saturday November 3rd, I received a letter from MBUSA telling me that the parts were now available and that I should contact my dealer and arrange for the installation of the replacement airbags. On Monday, November 5th I called my service advisor (a knowledgeable dependable guy) to schedule an appointment. He checked with the parts department who said the parts were on back order. I was very frustrated and called MBUSA again and complained that in spite of their most recent letter, the replacement air bags were on back order.

The MBUSA representative asked me to hold on. When she came back on the line she said that I should personally meet with my dealer's parts department manager and ask him to put in a Special Order for the replacement air bags. Rather than drive to the dealer, I called my service advisor and told him what the MBUSA representative said. He went to the parts manager who called the Special Order into MBUSA. An hour later my service advisor called me back and said that he would have the replacement air bags on Thursday. The airbags arrived as promised and yesterday I had them installed.

According to the letter from MBUSA it is supposed to take only 1 1/2 hours to replace both air bags. My service advisor said the shop manual allows 1.7 hours. I brought my car to the dealer at 8:00AM yesterday and decided to wait for the install. However, after 2 hours my service advisor checked and the mechanic said it would probably be another two hours before the job was finished. I could not wait two more hour because I had another appointment. My service advisor set me up with a loaner car and off I went. He called me about 2 1/2 hours later to inform me the air bags were changed, they checked out the entire car and washed it. I picked up my car later in the afternoon. I am a "happy camper".

For those of you still waiting for air bag replacements, perhaps you can learn something from my experience. Check with your service advisor, parts department or contact the parts manager at your dealership. MBUSA has replacement air bags. I do not know how many, but the sooner you act the better chance you will have to get your air bags replaced.
I had a similar experience with the multiple notifications but no parts available. Just left Mercedes Orlando with the replacements today and it seems like they did a nice job. Arrived at 9:00am and left at 12:00pm including a car wash. Glad to have this done. 2010 E550 Coupe with 60,250 miles.
Old 12-19-2018, 02:19 PM

2016 E400 Coupe (C207)
Originally Posted by FlyBye
I had a similar experience with the multiple notifications but no parts available. Just left Mercedes Orlando with the replacements today and it seems like they did a nice job. Arrived at 9:00am and left at 12:00pm including a car wash. Glad to have this done. 2010 E550 Coupe with 60,250 miles.
Is that Mercedes-Benz of South Orlando?
Old 12-19-2018, 02:25 PM

C207 E550 Coupe
Hi Mr. Toad,
No, the is the one at 810 N. Orlando Avenue in Maitland, FL. I'm not that familiar with the other dealerships as I am new to the area.

Website for the dealer in Maitland https://www.mborlando.com.
Old 12-19-2018, 02:43 PM

2016 E400 Coupe (C207)
Originally Posted by FlyBye
Hi Mr. Toad,
No, the is the one at 810 N. Orlando Avenue in Maitland, FL. I'm not that familiar with the other dealerships as I am new to the area.

Website for the dealer in Maitland https://www.mborlando.com.
I have no personal experience with that one, but my experience with Mercedes-Benz of North Orlando (1100 Rinehart Road, Sanford, FL 32771) was not good. They CPO'd a car that had been in an accident (the entire hood had been poorly repainted and there was over-spray on the grille) and tried to explain away the over-spray as "drift from a nearby body shop". I believe both the Sanford and Maitland locations are AutoNation dealerships, so beware.
Old 12-19-2018, 04:31 PM

C207 E550 Coupe
HI Mr. Toad,
Thank you, that's good to know. While the airbag replacement was no charge, I can confirm this dealer gets top dollar for service. I have had good luck on the customer service side and they are convenient so can't complain too much. It was painful to walk past all the new AMG cars and see the sticker prices! The current MB lineup is pretty impressive but my E550 has been a great car overall and in great condition. Will wait to cross shop the Porsche Taycan next year as we have been happy with my wife's Macan S as well.
Old 12-20-2018, 03:15 AM

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts
LS400
I'm not sure about MB but I've read that all replacement air bags are just new examples of the same thing, and down the road will need to be replaced again. That is one item that is not properly engineered, they all should be much stronger ie thicker material and have a pressure relief system.
Old 01-31-2019, 07:42 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2010 E350 Cabriolet (A207), 2007 (MY08) S350 W221, 2013 ML350 BT W166
Received the recall letter from MB about 2 weeks ago and after calling them to book the car in i was informed the earliest appointment will be towards the end of May.
5 hour job and both drivers & passengers airbags will be replaced.