E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Changing front turn signal bulbs.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-05-2018, 12:55 AM

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
2010 e550 coupe
Changing front turn signal bulbs.

Sorry if this has been posted somewhere but I can't find this info anywhere. Does anyone know how to access these bulbs? Theres a big square flap under the wheel well that gives direct access to the headlights but I cannot feel or see anything else in that area. I've also pulled back the side fender and could not see anything from there. Any help would be appreciated want to remove the egg yolk.
Old 12-05-2018, 08:49 PM

Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts
2017 E400 Coupe & 2018 GLC43
Red face

Originally Posted by Dnasty
Sorry if this has been posted somewhere but I can't find this info anywhere. Does anyone know how to access these bulbs? Theres a big square flap under the wheel well that gives direct access to the headlights but I cannot feel or see anything else in that area. I've also pulled back the side fender and could not see anything from there. Any help would be appreciated want to remove the egg yolk.
~ I wanted to do the same thing to my '15 e400 coupe and unfortunately the entire front bumper must be removed to do so (only way to access the bulb per MB). I also wanted to add a premium led style (updated) bulb versus the GM looking archaic slow flashing egg yolk looking bulb.

After 2.5 years... I simply traded the car in on new identical '17 e400 coupe but with the premium headlamps that I always wanted!
The following users liked this post:
Dnasty (12-09-2018)
Old 12-06-2018, 11:00 AM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
GLS450, AMG C43 Cabriolet
FWIW, removing the front bumper isn't *that* big of a job, so it might be worth it.

What LED bulb would you change it to?

Most of the ones I've seen (mainly Phillips or Phillips copies) will cause a fault unless you use a capacitor or relay.

While that's fine for headlights (I did it when I replaced the halogens with HIDs) I would think it would be tough for a small light like that to find the clearance.
Dnasty (12-09-2018)
Old 12-06-2018, 12:55 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 E400 C4 Coupe
Originally Posted by Jujigatame

Most of the ones I've seen (mainly Phillips or Phillips copies) will cause a fault unless you use a capacitor or relay.
A simple resistor should take care of that . . .

Dnasty (12-09-2018)
Old 12-08-2018, 05:09 PM

2010 e550 coupe
Originally Posted by andrew e coupe
~ I wanted to do the same thing to my '15 e400 coupe and unfortunately the entire front bumper must be removed to do so (only way to access the bulb per MB). I also wanted to add a premium led style (updated) bulb versus the GM looking archaic slow flashing egg yolk looking bulb.

After 2.5 years... I simply traded the car in on new identical '17 e400 coupe but with the premium headlamps that I always wanted!
I took it to a benz indy when I had my cabin filters and some other things changed and he told me the same thing... didn't want to believe it. Requiring removal of a bumper to change a turn signal bulb seems like a design flaw by mercedes. This being the case I may think about upgrading my hockey stick led's to the newer straight style while I'm at it.

FWIW, removing the front bumper isn't *that* big of a job, so it might be worth it.

What LED bulb would you change it to?

While that's fine for headlights (I did it when I replaced the halogens with HIDs) I would think it would be tough for a small light like that to find the clearance.
These are led bulbs that appear white but light amber, it is from azn optics who advertises on this site quite a bit and I haven't had any canbus errors with their stuff in the past. I think it has a built in capacitor but don't quote me on that. Is removing the bumper really not that big of a job? Would you recommend any diy or a tutorial? I've done a lot of diy stuff (mainly mechanical) but never any real body work.
Old 12-09-2018, 01:55 PM

I haven't removed it on my E350, but I've removed bumpers on BMW's Toyotas, and a few other cars.

For the most part it's removing a bunch of screws and clips. You really just need a good set of sockets and extenders.

If you can turn a wrench, you could do it Heres a tutorial for a 212, but the concept is really the same.

Just go slow and be careful you don't drop or scratch the bumper when it's off the car.

LMK if it works as I'll be doing it right after you!
Dnasty (12-09-2018)
Old 12-09-2018, 03:24 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,415 Likes on 3,145 Posts
'71 Pinto
See attachments.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
front bumper.pdf (547.2 KB, 55 views)
radiator grille.pdf (419.4 KB, 65 views)
assemble front bumper.pdf (511.3 KB, 128 views)
Dnasty (12-09-2018)
Old 12-09-2018, 04:23 PM

2010 e550 coupe
I haven't removed it on my E350, but I've removed bumpers on BMW's Toyotas, and a few other cars.

For the most part it's removing a bunch of screws and clips. You really just need a good set of sockets and extenders.

If you can turn a wrench, you could do it Heres a tutorial for a 212, but the concept is really the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijEvESoVIE8

Just go slow and be careful you don't drop or scratch the bumper when it's off the car.

LMK if it works as I'll be doing it right after you!
Originally Posted by konigstiger
See attachments.
Thanks guys.. I'm definitely going to do the dtr/ fog light upgrade while I do this. I'll post how it goes when I get all the parts. Still can't believe this is needed to change a turn signal bulb lol.
Old 12-10-2018, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Dnasty
Thanks guys.. I'm definitely going to do the dtr/ fog light upgrade while I do this. I'll post how it goes when I get all the parts. Still can't believe this is needed to change a turn signal bulb lol.
I know, right!?!?