Notices
E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Melted Air Filters

Old 03-17-2019, 06:52 AM

C207 E350
Melted Air Filters

Hello guys,

I’ve had a very weird problem with my C207 - OM642 ( 3.0l diesel).

Having a consistent lack of power and a whinning noise when I accelerate above 1700rpm I decided to inspect the turbo,hoses, filters etc.

Upon inspection I came across the air filters that were no longer ‘glued’ to the plastic housing air filters come with. I will attach some pictures.

Not only that, but the turbine also has significant damage as it probably vaccumed a piece of plastic from the air filters and destroyed the compressor wheel.

Does anyone have any idea how it is possible for air filters to melt, no clear reason what caused such a high temperature in the air filters that eventually melted them.

P.S: original air filters were used

Old 03-17-2019, 11:39 AM

2015 Audi S4, 1982 Fiat Spyder, 2010 R350, 2013 E550 Cabriolet
You "think" they were OEM. Are you sure they wern't counterfeit? The manufacturer is probably liable if there was no other engine malfunction.
Old 03-17-2019, 11:46 AM

2019 Dune Silver Metallic E-450 Mercedes Cabriolet
WOW! If you could prove defective air filters, you have a potential liability issue. I'd consult an MB mechanic to confirm the situation and proceed from there. A bent turbo fin also might generate that sort of heat.
Old 03-17-2019, 12:38 PM

C207 E350
Originally Posted by gforaker View Post
You "think" they were OEM. Are you sure they wern't counterfeit? The manufacturer is probably liable if there was no other engine malfunction.
They are 100% genuine.

I live in Romania and its almost impossible to hold the manufacurer liable for any damage, this sort of stuff doesn’t happen in Romania..

I am way over looking for someone to blame, I just want to fix the car and make sure they dont melt again. Have a new turbo on the way.

The dealership officially said they have no clue what caused the air filters to melt.
Old 03-18-2019, 11:22 PM

I've give some long shot ideas: Could you have possibly sucked in embers from whatever misc fire that, thanks to lots of air flow, started and caused all that?
Was there ever a time the eng reverse rotated, like you turned it off and it dieseled, but in reverse which would pump exhaust into the intake... I'd imagine if you ever have it diesel (not sure if that's the correct term since it is a diesel) or "run-on" after you kill it, it can easily run backwards. You've likely seen older carbureted cars do this but they have a throttle to limit the flow, where you do not, so you'd get a full blast of exhaust. I'm assuming here, I've never owned a diesel, but aside from embers it pretty much narrows it down to exhaust out the intake... Is there some way some defective part could pump exhaust into the intake and make it hot? Sounds crazy but I did say long shot...
If it were me I'd fire it up with the air cleaner and hoses off so I could see the turbo and see if anything odd is happening.

I noticed your gloves don't match your shoes. Maybe you could find some fluorescent red ones on ebay? Sorry, the shoes were so distracting I had to make some kind of smart *** comment