E-Class (W114/W115) 1968-1976: All Models

Engine swap in a W114 for a later v6?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-07-2018, 12:15 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2001 S500 Sport "Klaus"
Engine swap in a W114 for a later v6?

I found a very nice specimen that I'm considering purchasing that's very nice and very complete, which will be great for a few years before I get bored of the car's somewhat sluggish cruising.

Thus, I'm wondering whether there's any upward potential here. The car I'm looking at is overpriced, which is fine if I can upgrade down the road.

Specifically, I'd be interested in putting in the drivetrain from a C32/SLK32 (engine + trans), or even a non-supercharged variant (e.g., SLK 320) with the same 5-speed auto trans. Has anyone heard of this or similar being done, and if so, what the ballpark expense to do it would be? I've seen the Mechtronik mod'd older Benzes with the 5.5 v8 in them and they're amazing but way in the 6-figures to perform the mod.

Also, is it possible to upgrade the brakes to SLK320 or SLK32 style discs all around without major hassles, or is this impossible?

I guess what I'm asking is whether the w114 platform is amenable to replacement of major parts with parts from later Mercedes without requiring any welding/torching.

Thanks for your input!

vic