MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W124) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w124-28/)
-   -   Ticking Sounds (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w124/108343-ticking-sounds.html)

CDP 05-17-2005 10:09 PM

Ticking Sounds

So, I have a problem. :)

Lately, I've been getting this problem on and off. The problem is that I've been getting this ticking sound. At first I thought it was the engine knocking, but I investigated it a little bit more and traced the area to the fuel area by the passenger side door.

It ticks to the point where it's noticable and especially when on the gas. Stepping on the gas the ticking gets faster and louder. I don't know what the problem is so I figured some of you guys might know. :y My friend had the same problem in his 944 Porsche but he said the problem was his fuel regulator or something. Let me know if you guys have any ideas. I included a video which should help.

Here's the video...11MB
http://s19.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1...I2IG6IJM5QNFYG

by the way...I have a edited version of my dyno video. Check it out if you want. :) 8MB

http://x200.putfile.com/videos/13604175895.mov

rammbs 05-17-2005 10:16 PM

a guess here...

sounds something like the timing chain. have you replaced it? but then again i'm no mechanic.

CDP 05-17-2005 10:21 PM

Not sure if it will be that since it's by the passenger side door.

Did you watch the video?

Professor Booty 05-17-2005 10:22 PM

Well it doesn't really sound like an exhaust leak so that's good. Probably fuel related. Hopefully someone who knows more about the W124 fuel system can be more help.

CDP 05-17-2005 10:24 PM

Oh did I mention. I have exhaust leaks too. :D but that's not the problem of course.

Professor Booty 05-17-2005 10:27 PM

D'oh! :hammer: lol

Nick_M_51988 05-17-2005 10:29 PM

lol this might be a stupid answer but one time while i was working around the fan area i kinda tweaked the fan shroud. it sounded EXACTLY like that. it was the fan shroud hitting the fan blades. i dont know where the 320 fans are electric or not but look at it anyways. you should just be able to hit the shroud with your hand to knock it back to place.

CDP 05-17-2005 10:42 PM

haha Thanks for the reply Nick, I'll check that out later when I move my car into the garage.

anyone check out that dyno vid? :D

AMG_Fred 05-17-2005 10:47 PM

oh man that sucks so much.. sounds like my computer fan hitting a wire. sorry to hear that buddy.. :( but on the plus side, i like your new dyno video :D but the song makes you sound like a pansy... :P jk buddy :p

CDP 05-17-2005 10:48 PM

I don't think it's a serious problem, but that noise is bugging the ***** out of me everytime I drive. Therefore I blast my music. :D Hopefully someone knows and who knows, my friend might be right and it could be the fuel regulator.

Nick_M_51988 05-17-2005 10:50 PM

nice, where can i find that song?

AMG_Eric 05-17-2005 10:52 PM

the only answer i have for you is call jerry at import auto works in pasadena. its a drive but welllllll worth every penny. he can usually tell you over the phone what it is but if he cant then send him the vid. he has dsl at the shop....i made him put it in.

CDP 05-17-2005 10:53 PM

Do you have AIM? IM me at itsthepham and I'll send it to you. I recorded it off DI.fm. :y

CDP 05-17-2005 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by AMG_Eric
the only answer i have for you is call jerry at import auto works in pasadena. its a drive but welllllll worth every penny. he can usually tell you over the phone what it is but if he cant then send him the vid. he has dsl at the shop....i made him put it in.

Sounds good Eric, does he have a email?

I'd drive to my mechanic, but I'm too lazy for that. :D Plus, I need to save gas for this weekends meet anyways. haha

AMG_Eric 05-17-2005 10:57 PM

its importautoworks@sbcglobal.net

if u are near placentia tomorrow come by my other buddies shop. they might be able to take a peek and see what it is. the shop is Jonny Lightning in placentia off of lakeview. http://www.jonnylightning.net

i will be there most of the day working on a 3 wheeler for the kiddies to play with this weekend. i think we are taking the pre-runner my mx bike and buying a new quad to go play with.

CDP 05-17-2005 11:05 PM

Well I'm pretty much done with school so I have a lot of free time especially tomorrow. I think I have your cell number Eric, so if I can make it..I'll give you a call.

Actually, I just did a map search and it's only 9 miles away. I live in Anaheim. I'll be in fullerton around 10-2. Are you going to be at that shop around then?

AMG_Eric 05-17-2005 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisDPham
Well I'm pretty much done with school so I have a lot of free time especially tomorrow. I think I have your cell number Eric, so if I can make it..I'll give you a call.

Actually, I just did a map search and it's only 9 miles away. I live in Anaheim. I'll be in fullerton around 10-2. Are you going to be at that shop around then?

lol knowing me i will be bugging jonny all dam day with his luck :P
my cell is the 213 #

CDP 05-17-2005 11:09 PM

hmm...you gave me your 909 house Number. PM me your cell number. :D

AMG_Fred 05-17-2005 11:31 PM

:y hey you go to auto import works too eric? lol cool! hes the guy the rebuilt my engine. only seen him once but looks like a good guy. :y

AMG_Eric 05-18-2005 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by LnkPrkSoldier
:y hey you go to auto import works too eric? lol cool! hes the guy the rebuilt my engine. only seen him once but looks like a good guy. :y

i built his website. set up his puter. setup his dsl. he has worked on my car for like 7 years. i knew him b4 he owned import auto works. he used to be a master tech at beverly hills mbz.

btw he is always in for a good trade if you got one. i traded my computer work for some service. i am his computer go to guy and i trade oil changes for that.

ZorroAMG 05-18-2005 01:05 AM

What about the serpentine belt? Mine was making a ticking noise and I found out that teeth were missing on the belt and slipping.....15$ part and 0.5-1 hr labor...I'd get it checked....

CDP 05-18-2005 02:33 AM

Zorro, was it similiar to the sound in the video? What the heck is the serpentine belt anyways! :nix:

ZorroAMG 05-18-2005 03:43 AM

Serpentine Belt is the Black rubber belt that spins at the front of the engine lol....the M103 is a one belt system....one guess which one it is...haha :P

The video to me is inconclusive only because it sounds KINDA like my issue, but louder and worse....get the belt checked asap...if it snaps, your temper will too... :)

AMG_Eric 05-18-2005 11:11 AM

chris i am not gonna be down there today. i had something come up. if you want to have your car looked at talk to jonny. they might be able to spot the prob right away.

CDP 05-18-2005 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by AMG_Eric
chris i am not gonna be down there today. i had something come up. if you want to have your car looked at talk to jonny. they might be able to spot the prob right away.

It's all good. I just woke up anyways. :hammer: But tell me next time you're there, for now I'll see if it goes away again. lol