E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Carbon Fiber Fenders W124

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 05:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Porsche 997 cabrio
Originally Posted by YNVDIZW124
One question? If you can work with carbon fiber and fiberglass how come you don't make a completely different body style? I mean change the style of the front bumper, rear bumper, side skirts, and fenders?......Im not looking to sell the body kit im making because i don't want for everyone and their momma to have it...i mean other than materials i don't think it's really expensive to go wild with some things....well i hope i get my sh#$ doen soon but i got my skills from hot rodding so im gonna make my benz come out alittle different....

lol...acctually I do have my own design body kit but the problem is..not to many ppl like the extreme styles that I like & especially for a E500 No one in the states really wants to touch them (collecters car) which I respect them for that. My taste Is just a little different. Where as I would have customers that would come to me at the shop I worked & asked me to design a lip kit for their Ferrari F355 spyder the guy just wanted something different..I did it..He loved it...but not every Ferrari owner would..so the amount of money I invest in it...to just sell 1 to 5 kits would not be worth it...but I am/will have my own style kit on my car with my logo...

You build hot rods? if I can find some of the pic of the 1100hp 32' ford pickup we build for his hot rod shop, I'll post it up..I did Fiber glass bed/ WIDE a$$ wheel arches, complete interior, hood scoop..it was a cool car. I was at the owners shop yesterday.. its is own personal shop. & he only builds hotrods for himself gotta be sweet hu... has a big trucking co. for Baskin Robins Ice Cream...don't ask...cool guy though...N E ways...I've learned that anything can be done... most things cost more than you expect them to do. this is why most ppl keep a limited budget because once you step over the usual...you're gann loos all your money..It all depends on which direction you're headed towards..is it the money or is it the dream? In my situation, it was the dream...& IM still in one I guess...cause IM still broke but I don't give a *****...To some its a Rice, to others its a peice of metal...to me is a dream that I pushed, & thats something no one can ever take from me, & no one could sell to me..Its not just a car to me, its art, & my car is my canvus to paint on. Before I started, I didn't know what CF was, I didn't know how to paint..design..didn't know *****..Now, for the will to full fill my dream; I have 2 certificates in the composite feild, Do custom pain, work, learing how to weld. oppertunities just open up....Sorry..got a little long there

Albert S.
Old 03-31-2006, 05:39 AM

Porsche 997 cabrio
Damn I wrote a lot My english teacher would be proud other than all the incorrect spelling & gramer...oh well.....lol

Albert S.
Old 03-31-2006, 12:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1992 300CE AMG Hammer Replica, 2004 C240, 2015 ML350
Well I can asay albert I have enjoyed your car, and seeing it in person really does it more justice than in pics.

I remember when you didn't even have the interior done.

I think you have done a great job. you mod your car the way you want it, that is how I see it. I do things to my car because I like it, not because I am looking for anybod else's approval.

If people don't like what I have done with my car, so be it, I like it which is what counts.

I have worked with fiberglass, it is fun, but messy - for me at least... and I hate the itchy feeling when getting fibers everywhere. but it is all worth it in the end.

Can't wait to see what you come up with in carbon fiber.

We need to talk one of these days, I have a small carbon fiber project I was going to undertake sooner or later..

Alon
Old 03-31-2006, 04:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

lots of cars
Talking

Yeah i know what you mean but see the way i think about it is that why pay someone to do it when i can do it myself...Now bulding techniques i have learned by myself and i can watch and learn something on the spot...I don't work for a shop or anything like that but i know how to paint...work with fiberglass...just learned carbon fiber..do body work..build engines...intall suspensions...sound systems...learning how to do upholstery...haven't learn how to weld but i'll do that next month when i buy a mig.....i can do everything i want to a car but the reason i don't is that i have 1 day off and that day i have to spend it with my son...you know it dosen't take one day to finish a project specially if you need to watch paint dry....Well I think like you because many people are not going to like what i did to my car but i don't really give a Sh$% either....I really don't have a lot of money to waste on my cars because i gotta pay bills and i got a family and not living with moms and pops anymore so that makes my budget almost 0...im not gonna say how much money i've spent on my benz but it's not a lot...it will look like it cost a lot of $$$ when im done with it for the custom work cuz im just trying to make a dolla out of 15 cents...

Like i said the only thing that holds me back from making bad *** rides is the $$$ but not even that it's the time and TOOLS!.......im not going to do big parts in carbon fiber so i bought a foodsaver to vacuum bag them...and i had to buy some spray guns to spray clear coat on some other parts im making.....Im not gonna go really crazy with my mercedes but my mustang has a completely new body kit and the kit for my benz ...I call it the gen III....hope i can get my car done so i can post some pics and show off my skills because that is what im going for....I will always be a hot rodder and I get my influences from chip foose, troy trepanier, boyd coddington, and tom daniels...my benz is my daily driver so i gotta fix that up too the way i want it but my dream car is my 69 mustang....
Old 04-01-2006, 12:57 AM

Porsche 997 cabrio
Originally Posted by YNVDIZW124
Yeah i know what you mean but see the way i think about it is that why pay someone to do it when i can do it myself...Now bulding techniques i have learned by myself and i can watch and learn something on the spot...I don't work for a shop or anything like that but i know how to paint...work with fiberglass...just learned carbon fiber..do body work..build engines...intall suspensions...sound systems...learning how to do upholstery...haven't learn how to weld but i'll do that next month when i buy a mig.....i can do everything i want to a car but the reason i don't is that i have 1 day off and that day i have to spend it with my son...you know it dosen't take one day to finish a project specially if you need to watch paint dry....Well I think like you because many people are not going to like what i did to my car but i don't really give a Sh$% either....I really don't have a lot of money to waste on my cars because i gotta pay bills and i got a family and not living with moms and pops anymore so that makes my budget almost 0...im not gonna say how much money i've spent on my benz but it's not a lot...it will look like it cost a lot of $$$ when im done with it for the custom work cuz im just trying to make a dolla out of 15 cents...

Like i said the only thing that holds me back from making bad *** rides is the $$$ but not even that it's the time and TOOLS!.......im not going to do big parts in carbon fiber so i bought a foodsaver to vacuum bag them...and i had to buy some spray guns to spray clear coat on some other parts im making.....Im not gonna go really crazy with my mercedes but my mustang has a completely new body kit and the kit for my benz ...I call it the gen III....hope i can get my car done so i can post some pics and show off my skills because that is what im going for....I will always be a hot rodder and I get my influences from chip foose, troy trepanier, boyd coddington, and tom daniels...my benz is my daily driver so i gotta fix that up too the way i want it but my dream car is my 69 mustang....
couldn't have said it any better.. I've met Foose abt 2 years ago at the school I use to go (where foose graduated from) Art Center in Pasadena...IM there like once a week (6 exits away from my house ).
Old 04-14-2006, 06:58 PM

Porsche 997 cabrio
said I would keep you guys updated...............

flanging stage, wax, PVA

Gel Coat....

layed up the first part of the mold....

& just finished the 2nd part of the mold

Albert S.

Last edited by AS Design; 04-14-2006 at 11:18 PM.
Old 04-14-2006, 08:33 PM
CDP
MBWorld Fanatic!

W124's
Hey Albert, your pictures aren't working - Try hosting them on www.imageshack.us because yahoo doesn't allow linking their pictures elsewhere...
Old 04-14-2006, 11:21 PM

Porsche 997 cabrio
Thanks bud.....Is it working now?
Old 04-14-2006, 11:46 PM
CDP
MBWorld Fanatic!

W124's
Yeah, they are working now - looks good - even though I have no clue what's being done in those pictures. lol Can't wait to see the rest of the work
Old 04-15-2006, 01:22 AM

Porsche 997 cabrio
Originally Posted by ChrisDPham
Yeah, they are working now - looks good - even though I have no clue what's being done in those pictures. lol Can't wait to see the rest of the work
lol...IM making the molds for the fenders. It has to be made in several peices for the fender to be able to pop out afterwards. it going to be abt 7 or 8 peices :0 a lot of work... Laying up another peice right now... 4/14/06 10:22pm......part # 3 lay up...

Albert S.
Old 04-15-2006, 05:55 AM

Porsche 997 cabrio
2:51am...done with the 3rd peice of the mold...... 5 more to go

lets get some sleep now...

Albert S.
Old 04-15-2006, 06:33 AM
CDP
MBWorld Fanatic!

W124's
The progress seems to be going by quick Albert. I understand the procuess a lot more now, in the back of my head I was thinking that you would have to do it in pieces, but I wasn't sure. lol Good luck with the rest of the pieces you have left.
Old 04-15-2006, 06:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

lots of cars
That's why I don't go crazy with making parts for my car....Hey have you ever tried using foam to make molds of some of the parts? Well it looks like a lot of work and i hope im done with the rear spoiler and body kit too.....next time im going to make a tutorial on how to make one off parts out of foam and fiberglass...
Old 04-15-2006, 06:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sean's Sister--
Albert i'll need to talk to you when i get my car back.........i have a project i wanted done and maybe you can help.......
Old 04-15-2006, 11:10 PM

88 260 E
Looks like things are coming along. Great work Albert.

Did you finish on your project yet Abraham?

~Cali
Old 04-16-2006, 10:04 PM

Porsche 997 cabrio
Originally Posted by Alexbenz
Albert i'll need to talk to you when i get my car back.........i have a project i wanted done and maybe you can help.......
Hit me up anytime, we'll talk....

Thanks guys, I'll keep you updated as I go along...

Albert S.
Old 04-16-2006, 10:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheeled car.
Albert, can you make me some lorinser F1 fenders, from my current stock fenders? the reason why I wanna use my current metal fenders is for 2 reasons: 1st, it's obviously stronger than fiberglass and 2nd, being AMG fenders, the lip is already rolled and so it clears my wheels/tires. I'll have to call you up discuss some stuff with you

Oh and I REALLY need somebody who can refinish the clear coating on my brabus CF lip, b/c it's all chipped from rocks.
Old 04-17-2006, 12:08 AM

Porsche 997 cabrio
Originally Posted by The Godfather
Albert, can you make me some lorinser F1 fenders, from my current stock fenders? the reason why I wanna use my current metal fenders is for 2 reasons: 1st, it's obviously stronger than fiberglass and 2nd, being AMG fenders, the lip is already rolled and so it clears my wheels/tires. I'll have to call you up discuss some stuff with you

Oh and I REALLY need somebody who can refinish the clear coating on my brabus CF lip, b/c it's all chipped from rocks.
e-mail me i'll give you my new #
AS_Dezine @ Yahoo.com
Old 04-17-2006, 06:18 PM

300TE / 300E / 300CE
Originally Posted by AS Design
couldn't have said it any better.. I've met Foose abt 2 years ago at the school I use to go (where foose graduated from) Art Center in Pasadena...IM there like once a week (6 exits away from my house ).
Albert,

Great idea, will you mold a hood as well? CF is a hot subject but many can't resist the deep aesthetic pattern. Many supercars use it for strength and light weight but you don't notice them under paint. If you have the mold, a fiberglass alternative may be the way to go in order to sell more. It's hard to predict how people will purchase them until you make them available. How are you going to handle the body cladding parts and inner fenders? The rears will need to be bonded unless you can find a seam to cut the whole fender off. I contacted a couple of CF manufacturers and tooling was quoted at few grand for a hood. Selling enough to recoup tooling costs would take some time. Building it for yourself is a noble cause. Most cars are built to please the masses. If you are able to and have the motivation do it "your" way then by all means go for it.

I graduated from ACCD in '85 and never met Foose. I really admire what's he's done for the industrial designer. I've been working high tech but am in the middle of a redesign of a 914 that I will have at SEMA in November. Broke and in debt is what my cars are costing me. My progress thread is here: http://www.914club.com/bbs2/index.ph...ST&f=2&t=37568

Felix
Old 04-18-2006, 05:33 AM

Porsche 997 cabrio
Originally Posted by pifcat2
Albert,

Great idea, will you mold a hood as well? CF is a hot subject but many can't resist the deep aesthetic pattern. Many supercars use it for strength and light weight but you don't notice them under paint. If you have the mold, a fiberglass alternative may be the way to go in order to sell more. It's hard to predict how people will purchase them until you make them available. How are you going to handle the body cladding parts and inner fenders? The rears will need to be bonded unless you can find a seam to cut the whole fender off. I contacted a couple of CF manufacturers and tooling was quoted at few grand for a hood. Selling enough to recoup tooling costs would take some time. Building it for yourself is a noble cause. Most cars are built to please the masses. If you are able to and have the motivation do it "your" way then by all means go for it.

I graduated from ACCD in '85 and never met Foose. I really admire what's he's done for the industrial designer. I've been working high tech but am in the middle of a redesign of a 914 that I will have at SEMA in November. Broke and in debt is what my cars are costing me. My progress thread is here: http://www.914club.com/bbs2/index.ph...ST&f=2&t=37568

Felix
You graduated in '85, wow...I was like 3 years old My dream was to finish ACCD but I never got their, it was just way to expensive. But everytime I save up some money I take a night course. I give you big time props for what you've done, because I know how hard it is in that school.
Broke & in debt is where IM @ too my friend. But for some odd reason, I don't give a *****. Probably because IM not married yet & still live w/ my parents (which I've gotta say is pretty lame, but helps me a lot). I have abt a year to go to finish school & I'll hopefully be out of the broke stage & get into pushing my dream through. I would love to see some of your renderings if you have any. & any tips on quick sketching styles that have helped you.

Albert S.
Old 04-18-2006, 05:35 AM

Porsche 997 cabrio
.....................Bad News guys.....................

Click on this---> http://www.500ecstasy.com/forums/sho...25229post25229
Old 04-18-2006, 09:35 AM

88 260 E
Awwww man that suxxx bro....... I feel your pain Albert you've been to my pad and seen my dogs. They've torn up countless car covers and scratched up the bumpers and doors on all 3 Benzos. Sometimes I don't know whether to laugh or just have BBQ...hahahahaha. I was crossing my fingers on the paint part though, I didn't want to jinx you and say anything about that. The resin get's hella hot when it's curing. What can you do but move forward bro... Good Luck.....

~Cali
Old 04-18-2006, 10:47 AM

1992 400E
Stupid Squirrels.....A few weeks ago one got into my garage, and in the process of trying to get him out from under some 2x4's, he bit me on my thumb, through leather gloves that I was wearing! Hurt like Hell, and I had to go on antibiotics...

ever project has setbacks, you just gotta find a way to work around them and keep moving forward

good luck!
Old 04-18-2006, 02:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

lots of cars
That's F@#$ up....you work at a body shop right?...sand the scratches.....slap on some primer surfacer ..... wet sand the parts....color match the paint and blend it in....

This is a 65 mustang i did for a friend...she had drum brakes so u know how girls are they never check the brake fluid so she smacked the whole front into a honda civic....She bent the fenders in and most of the front was all bent in. I re-painted the whole front and fixed the fenders instead of replacing them. I also did the entire engine bay. I know this is off topic but it has to do with body work your going to have to do...most of the parts i painted are blended into the original paint so i'll look like nothing ever happend..
Attached Thumbnails Carbon Fiber Fenders W124-dsci0025.jpg   Carbon Fiber Fenders W124-dsci0031.jpg   Carbon Fiber Fenders W124-dsci0032.jpg  

Last edited by YNVDIZW124; 04-18-2006 at 02:23 PM.
Old 04-18-2006, 03:41 PM

Porsche 997 cabrio
now I should say.....***** happens

YNVDIZW124 I don't work at a bodyshop (acctually I don't even have a job ). But I do everything @ my house. I've been painting custom motorcycles for years now, so I sorta know the bodyshop aspect
The problem is that the bodyshop that painted my car couldn't even match the color again it's got to many different pearles that throw you off when trying match it. I've tryed to get the color before but no luck. It is a Glasurate Custom yellow paint that I had mixed 5 years ago but lost the code () & the pearles are House of Kolors, Gold, abalone, Platinum.. & the shop doesn't know how many oz's they've put in it

Albert S.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber Fenders W124