MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W124) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w124-28/)
-   -   My brakes feel WEIRD! (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w124/181117-my-brakes-feel-weird.html)

shadowgriffen 02-08-2007 01:07 PM

My brakes feel WEIRD!

the strangest thing happened this morning (I assume brake master cylinder)

I got into the car and drove away to work as usual, but when I got to the stoplight my brake pedal went all the way down towards the floor almost making me hit the person already at the light!

now mind you, they have always been hard as a rock, so I always assumed that perhaps I was in need of a new master cylinder...I have no idea whats going on.

my car still stops, but it is really strange that all-of-a-sudden my brakes are buttery smooth and the pedal goes all the way down to the floor before the brakes kick in.

Any input guys?? I would appreciate it. :y

shdoug 02-08-2007 01:21 PM

I agree with the master cylinder hypothesis. It's strange that it wouldn't do it every time, though. I assume the fluid level looks good?

shadowgriffen 02-08-2007 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by shdoug (Post 2000736)
I agree with the master cylinder hypothesis. It's strange that it wouldn't do it every time, though. I assume the fluid level looks good?

I hear you...

Yes it's full :confused:

help!

bjay51d 02-08-2007 01:43 PM

I had that same thing happen to me when i first purchased the car.The pedal was really stiff.Then out of the blue it went down to the floor.It turned out to be two frozen rear calipers.I had the fluid flushed and the lines & calipers replaced and havent had a problem since.

marco402 02-08-2007 01:45 PM

sometimes a piece of rust (or such) in the mstr cyl plunger will leave a gap in one of the o-rings, allow fluid bypass...OR (scary thought) primary shuttle valve in ABS stuck momentarily.....mstr cyl rebuild is cheaper....but the fact that fluid is full rules out wheel caliper issue....have you done any recent work on the brakes, leaving an air pocket?

marco402 02-08-2007 01:47 PM

bjay51 has a good point, are you frozen (literally) up there?

bjay51d 02-08-2007 01:56 PM

I wasnt talking literally frozen just rusted...Wow didntt even know that was possible.

marco402 02-08-2007 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by bjay51d (Post 2000830)
I was talking literally frozen just rusted...Wow didntt even know that was possible.

he has been driving his car for awhile, so i imagine a frozen/rusty caliper would have shown itself earlier, but i see that the weather has been really cold, and upstate NY is under a mile of snow:eek: , but if it's below freezing and the brakes were wet last night, the first stop could be a long one:cop:

bjay51d 02-08-2007 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by marco402 (Post 2000839)
he has been driving his car for awhile, so i imagine a frozen/rusty caliper would have shown itself earlier, but i see that the weather has been really cold, and upstate NY is under a mile of snow:eek: , but if it's below freezing and the brakes were wet last night, the first stop could be a long one:cop:

He said they were always stiff.I drove my car for a while before the brake failed.I see your point it has been cold as mutha out this way.

shadowgriffen 02-08-2007 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by marco402 (Post 2000802)
but the fact that fluid is full rules out wheel caliper issue....have you done any recent work on the brakes, leaving an air pocket?

Mind you, my fluid was full last week, when I cheked it when I got to work it was halfway empty, I have not checked it today, will update.

Originally Posted by marco402 (Post 2000808)
bjay51 has a good point, are you frozen (literally) up there?

Yes, we have had no day over 10 degrees Farenheight. windchill is at minus 15 F.

Originally Posted by bjay51d (Post 2000851)
He said they were always stiff.I drove my car for a while before the brake failed.I see your point it has been cold as mutha out this way.

correct, my brakes have always been stiff, since I bought the car almost five years ago.

One thing: about two months ago, to anwser marco's original question, I replaced the rear brake pads. Two days before replacing them my brakes did the same thing they are doing now, but with a LOUD screech, really scary actually.

today my brakes continue to be buttery soft and just glide their way to the very end, where pedal meets the metal :nix:

very strange....and I dont want to put anyone in danger.

bjay51d 02-08-2007 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by shadowgriffen (Post 2000884)
but with a LOUD screech, really scary actually. .

exactly what happened to me...I wouldnt drive it anymore...get to a shop.youre boiling your fluid.pretty soon it wont stop at all.

shadowgriffen 02-08-2007 02:35 PM

ummmm...jay, I think you duplicated my post by accident. :hammer:

check your PM inbox.

bjay51d 02-08-2007 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by shadowgriffen (Post 2000899)
ummmm...jay, I think you duplicated my post by accident. :hammer:

check your PM inbox.

I got alittle ahead of myself:smash:

shadowgriffen 02-08-2007 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by bjay51d (Post 2000916)
I got alittle ahead of myself:smash:

well my brake fluid is fine, so I'm not burning any brake fluid I just ran upstairs to the garage and checked, its all there.

this is driving me :crazy:

bjay51d 02-08-2007 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by shadowgriffen (Post 2000932)
well my brake fluid is fine, so I'm not burning any brake fluid I just ran upstairs to the garage and checked, its all there.

this is driving me :crazy:

Get your brakes checked asap.That loud screech was a warning.

lkchris 02-08-2007 03:14 PM

Over the years I've had two master cylinder failures, both easily associated with sudden cold weather. Shrinking rubber, I expect.

shadowgriffen 02-08-2007 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by bjay51d (Post 2000958)
Get your brakes checked asap.That loud screech was a warning.

Negative my friend, you missunderstood my post.

I stated that the same buttery soft feeling has happened to me before, but LAST time that happened to me my brakes were making horrible squeeling noises, this time it's buttery soft sans screech.

marco402 02-08-2007 04:34 PM

soft pedal that almost goes down to floor, no unusual noise, full of fluid, very cold weather......COLd (read HARD) o-rings in mastercyl, allowing fluid bypass, not dumping it, but letting it squeeze by....did you say once stopped, the pedal will hold the car at a stop?

shadowgriffen 02-09-2007 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by marco402 (Post 2001280)
soft pedal that almost goes down to floor, no unusual noise, full of fluid, very cold weather......COLd (read HARD) o-rings in mastercyl, allowing fluid bypass, not dumping it, but letting it squeeze by....did you say once stopped, the pedal will hold the car at a stop?

Yes, that is correct.

mgw_300e 02-12-2007 01:01 PM

Did you ever get this figured out?

shadowgriffen 02-12-2007 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by mgw_300e (Post 2009888)
Did you ever get this figured out?

Negative, but now that it;s not as cold as it's been lately the brakes feel about 85 percent normal :crazy:

I'm 100% certain it's the master cylinder.

rokacook 06-09-2015 04:36 PM

My 1995 E420 is doing the exact same thing. I replaced Pads and bled system, am pretty sure the master cylinder is bad. I did also notice the ASR light comes on after a few minutes and the ABS pump quiets down at the same exact moment. I am going to replace master cylinder next and see if light goes out in conjunction with the replacing of Master cylinder.

rokacook 06-15-2015 01:24 PM

Replaced Master cyckinder

Replaced Master cylinder , no preesuse at rear brake bled valve, I have brakes and ASR light is still on after ABS pump stops after 2 minutes or so the braking seems fine but noisy ABS pump and ASR light on I wonder if ASR pump is bad below master cylinder a little electric motor and pump one line to ABS system, Is there any good writting as to how this entire system works so that I could understand and troubleshoot?:confused:

rokacook 02-23-2018 09:28 AM

As it turned out it was the rubber o ring that seats into reservoir was leaking. all better.