E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Fuel Smell & Leak

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 07:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Smell & Leak

I have been smelling fuel on and off for a while now, usually after I fill up. I took it in to the shop a while back and they pressurized the system and said "no leaks."

Today, I smelled it really, really, bad after filling up and worse after every right turn. I found gas dripping out of the small hose in back of the rear axle. It looks like a drain hose for the filler area. I checked the filler area and found a drain there as well (never noticed it before). The area around the filler was wet with fuel. I checked the cap and it was tight. I loosened it, and it was pressurized (went..pssssss...when I took it off).

If the cap is holding air pressure, I don't see how that could be leaking. Could something be causing over pressurization in the tank? Should I replace the cap anyway?...any other ideas?
Old 02-25-2008, 10:35 PM

2003 E320
I have the same issue tonight with my 2003 E320 ... small drip near left-rear wheel. Sound like a fuel pump, from what I've read - did you get a fix yet? I bet it is expensive
Old 02-25-2008, 10:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1995 E320 SE, 162,000 Miles (Sold)
Originally Posted by Gatorbait
I have been smelling fuel on and off for a while now, usually after I fill up. I took it in to the shop a while back and they pressurized the system and said "no leaks."

Today, I smelled it really, really, bad after filling up and worse after every right turn. I found gas dripping out of the small hose in back of the rear axle. It looks like a drain hose for the filler area. I checked the filler area and found a drain there as well (never noticed it before). The area around the filler was wet with fuel. I checked the cap and it was tight. I loosened it, and it was pressurized (went..pssssss...when I took it off).

If the cap is holding air pressure, I don't see how that could be leaking. Could something be causing over pressurization in the tank? Should I replace the cap anyway?...any other ideas?
I see your point, but the cap could still have a significant leak and still allow the tank to pressurize to an extent. It doesn't take much fuel to make a big smell. Replace the gas cap with an OEM part.
Old 03-10-2008, 08:42 PM

Just a follow up. I fixed this issue. The problem was 2-fold. The gas cap was indeed leaking, despite holding some pressure. I replaced it with a factory cap. In addition, the seal around the filler neck had shrunk away from the filler neck. Since the tank in this car is located in the trunk behind the rear seat, any fuel that ended up inside the little filler compartment (from the leaking cap or a refuel spillover) was running right down the filler neck and into the trunk. The seal looked like it fit tight, but when I looked up through the trunk at night, and had someone shine a flashlight near the filler neck, there was plenty of light coming through. The new seal fit so tight I had to stretch it around the filler neck. FINALLY, I'm rid of the gas smell!
Old 03-11-2008, 01:48 AM

2003 E320
Thanks for the update!

So, you bought the parts and fixed it yourself? Get them from the Dealer? I have a very similar deal ... mine has a catch-plate just under the rear seat area with some drain holes - anytime I fill up, there it is ... drips of gas until the level drops to some point about 3/4 tank. I'm wondering if the cold weather was causing something to draw up - like a seal.

I'll try to get the rear-end up on something then do the flashlight ... see if I can find out more on mine.

Would like to know where you got the parts and how hard was it to fix ... thanks man!
Old 03-13-2008, 09:09 PM

Seal and cap from dealer for less than $20. All you need to do is open the trunk, pull the carpet from the passenger side and have somebody shine a light at the filler neck under the flap while you look from the inside of the trunk. If you see light, the seal is not sealing tight.
Old 03-14-2008, 12:32 PM

1993 300E
Talking

I had the same problem as well, for a few weeks after checking everything I possibly could. I finally noticed the rubber seal on the gas cap was broken, I went to the junk yard and took a gas cap from an old benz and it's working fine at the moment I didn't spend a dime.