E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

RIP E420 - Thanks for Saving a Life

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-06-2019, 03:37 PM

Received 41 Likes on 21 Posts
2013 ML550 / 1994 E420
RIP E420 - Thanks for Saving a Life

A few years ago I gave my old W124 E420 to my parents to keep as a comfortable get around car after I bought a W166 ML550. Been a great car for them that saw a number of great road trips across the country.

Yesterday my Mom was driving home after work and had a blackout - the car crossed the grassy median to the other side of the highway and collided with a tractor trailer head on.

The good news is the old W124 did what it was designed to do and dropped the drivetrain while the body absorbed the impact of the crash as the car spun around after it struck the tractor trailer.

My Mom suffered a cracked rib from the seat belt tensioner holding her in place as the car spun, a cut lip from the airbag, and a bruised elbow likely from the hard spin against the door.

While I’ll miss the old Merc, I’m glad it did as it was designed to do many years ago and kept her alive. Thought I’d share with the forum - getting harder to see these old W124s on the road, but glad this one kept a family member safe. Drive safe out there.

Engine, transmission, and drive shaft were thrown from the chassis and landed on the other side of the median.

Last edited by OldMerc94; 07-06-2019 at 03:39 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by OldMerc94:
joabr (08-07-2019), Khatao (08-11-2019), M. Schneider (05-02-2020), mrtchuck (07-08-2019), ohollenbeck (07-12-2019), TonyMeister (07-06-2019) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-12-2019, 07:41 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
04 E500, 00 SL500, 99 SL500, 94 E420, 92 500E, 92 500E, 92 300CE, 06 Lexus GX470
So sorry to hear about this accident, but what a good story that the old 124 did it's most important job and saved a life. Wishing her a quick recovery..
Old 08-11-2019, 08:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E350 V6 petrol
Mercedes is Mercedes. And a 124 is built like a tank. Thank God your mother is safe and there were no other casualties. My brother has one and refuses to part with it. He loves that car as do I.
Old 08-23-2019, 03:09 PM

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts
001 s600, 94 sl600
Thumbs up Accident Safety tests vs Real World Accidents

In order to get consistent and comparable data on crash damage and occupant protection, Engineers worked real hard to standardize the 'test accidents.' It is necessarily an imperfect measure because really violent (like full head-on) accidents at highway speed are so destructive. It is a good testament to Occupant Safety features mandated by U.S. DOT laws that people survive violent head-on crashes with very minor injuries---if they are wearing Seat Belts properly placed and adjusted. Air bags do add incremental protection for some collisions but seat belts give the vast majority of protection. The 'Insurance Ratings' are designed to measure differences in 'cost to repair' and occupant injury protection. Some manufacturers design for maximum occupant protection and others do not. Mercedes has always aimed for maximum PEOPLE protection rather than reducing 'cost to repair.' Citroen used the same principal and their SM model was far superior to any other vehicle at the time. Physics dictates there be massive immediate energy absorption over the maximum distance (crush length) to lower the 'G loads' on people. Many people mistakenly believe 'older cars' were stronger and provided better accident protection. True the cars WERE stronger, but were much more likely to result in death and serious injury to occupants.

Me: I personally want to be in a 'Maximum Occupant Protection' vehicle if ever in an accident. I was once T-Boned by a heavy duty 3/4 ton pick-up with a heavy 'oil field bumper and winch'. I was only going 25, but he was going 50. My safety conforming mid 80s Grey Market 380 SE was hit at 90 degrees from the left centered right on the dashboard. The only undamaged body/frame part was the trunk lid. Every other body/frame panel was wrinkled, crushed, torn. .. The dash was crushed over a foot, drivers door pushed in 6" but not penetrated ,'B" pillar bent inward 4", battery exploded from 'G' force, engine crankshaft pulley cookie cut radiator/A/C condenser and front grill and the entire engine cradle bent to a 45 degree angle to the right. Left side windows were cracked but retained in place. Windshield was shattered and exploded outward. My wife had 6" wide multi-colored shoulder +seat belt bruising and bruised shins from hitting the well padded under dash. Her eyeglass lenses popped out and flew over me and dropped into the door pocket., the frames laying on my lap. I suffered left rotator cuff tear from ripping out the door handle, bruised head/minor concussion from impact with the window, and compression damaged right knee cartilage from shearing off the brake pedal I was 'standing on.' The only occupant impact with hard surface was my head slamming into the Drivers window and only superficial injury. There were no cuts , broken bones or bleeding, but the vehicle was good only for some interior parts. The supremely comfortable Velour seats were in perfect condition.. I replaced the vehicle with a very near new 1989 560SEL which I drove for more than 12 years and sold for near what I has paid!. I currently drive a near mint 100,000 mile 2001 S-600 on which everything works as designed. It may be the last automobile that at 72 now,. I ever own

Originally Posted by Khatao
Mercedes is Mercedes. And a 124 is built like a tank. Thank God your mother is safe and there were no other casualties. My brother has one and refuses to part with it. He loves that car as do I.