E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

My 300E. What to do??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 07:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'92 300E
Question My 300E. What to do??

Hi all!

So, as some of you know, I've done a good amount of maintaining and restoring this car. I just need a few things to do, so I'm going to list them here and gather your opinions...

1. A/C Compressor is out: What is the most inexpensive way to fix this?

2. Rear window Liner is bad and leaking in rain water: What is the most inexpensive way to fix that?

And...

3. Suspension: Okay! I know this is a big topic in this forum... Let me put it this way, I don't want to spend a fortune, but I would like a quality suspension. I'm even thinking of dropping the car a little. Thoughts?

Please give me your opinions or link me to the right direction. Thanks!!
Old 10-13-2009, 10:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
E
Well you can always cut your suspension for free. Its safe as long as you don't go crazy. A small drop would be fine. All I understand with this is if your shocks are really worn, the ride can be bouncy. I have a DIY on shock/strut change in my sticky at the top.

As for A/C compressor...Are you sure its dead? Have you checked freon level, pressure switch, and klima relay?
Old 10-14-2009, 12:56 PM

'92 300E
Originally Posted by ps2cho
Well you can always cut your suspension for free. Its safe as long as you don't go crazy. A small drop would be fine. All I understand with this is if your shocks are really worn, the ride can be bouncy. I have a DIY on shock/strut change in my sticky at the top.
Ya, the shocks are done. The front shocks went first, about 2 years ago. I replaced them with Monroe's w/ myself & a friend Mazda mechanic, lol. and I've been regretting that decision ever since. When I took the car to my longtime mechanic, he out sold me out of the new shocks I just put on. He's all about going with stock replacement equipment. Now that the rear shocks are going out, I want to get a totally new after-market suspension system.

What shocks do you guys suggest? and...
Do I need to get new coils also, or just the shocks?

As for A/C compressor...Are you sure its dead? Have you checked freon level, pressure switch, and klima relay?
Excellent you brought this up! Because, I don't know. My mechanic told me it was the compressor that is bad.

ps2cho, how can I check the 3 things you suggested to look at?
Old 10-14-2009, 02:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
E
Well to check freon level...you really need an A/C pressure gauge set...

To jump the pressure switch just touch the two connectors together and "technically" the compressor should start. Turn it off immediately though because you probably have no oil in the system.

If your mechanic said its toast then he probably tested using the pressure switch. Unless he is a really experienced w124 guy, he probably did not check the Klima relay.

I can recommend the Bilstein set...and so will every other person. They are a great alternative option to the stock and come with lifetime warranty on em. Only thing is that what I have noticed it will increase your ride height by about 1-1.5in so you'll need to drop the car to make it sit right again. I'm very happy with my Bilstein comforts.

Last edited by ps2cho; 10-14-2009 at 02:28 PM.
Old 10-14-2009, 03:46 PM

'92 300E
sounds good! ill check it out when i get home this evening. hopefully i can bring it back from the dead. zombie a/c

Does anyone have link to a thread with a good after-market suspension discussion? i'm having trouble finding one.
Old 10-14-2009, 03:52 PM

'92 300E
I can recommend the Bilstein set...and so will every other person. They are a great alternative option to the stock and come with lifetime warranty on em. Only thing is that what I have noticed it will increase your ride height by about 1-1.5in so you'll need to drop the car to make it sit right again. I'm very happy with my Bilstein comforts.
niice! ive done a little searching, and i found 3 options; HD, Comfort & Sport.
I'm thinking Comfort or Sport. Leaning towards sport because I drive my car fast & hard. I don't scare from taking a turn fast. What do you think?

Link to website Im looking at.

Last edited by SNSMBZ W124; 10-14-2009 at 03:56 PM. Reason: added website
Old 10-14-2009, 03:55 PM
CDP
MBWorld Fanatic!

W124's
I'll make it simple for you. lol

Choose your springs of choice and go with Bilstein sports. No point in getting HD or Comforts.
Old 10-14-2009, 05:32 PM

'92 300E
Talking

Your the Man Pham!!!!
Old 10-14-2009, 05:34 PM

'92 300E
Red face oh! umm....

Originally Posted by ChrisDPham
Choose your springs of choice...
can you point me in the right direction on where to look?