E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

'88 W124 rear windshield seal?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 02:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S320
'88 W124 rear windshield seal?

The rubber seal strip running underneath the rear windshield (just above the beginning of the trunk lid) is coming loose (see pic below). I've heard that it is held in place by the metal clips attached to the underside of the strip which wedge between the windshield glass and the body sheet metal. Can anyone confirm this or set me straight on how this thing is held on? I want to correct the problem and the fellow that told me about it said I could pull the entire strip off, gently reshape the clips that aren't holding and reinstall good as new. I haven't even been able to find a reference to this strip anywhere - even through EPC-net.

The car is an '88 260E with 300K miles that runs beautifully. I want to keep the car until it either completely falls apart or you finally can't get parts for it. Thanks for any insight and guidance.

Rick in Raleigh
Attached Thumbnails '88 W124 rear windshield seal?-seal.jpg  
Old 01-24-2011, 12:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Many Mercedes, Mini Coopers, Mokes
It is held in place by clips, you can probably see them under the section that is lifting off. 2 minutes to replace the strip.
Kevin.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
The clips are pop-riveted on to the body...and they sometimes break off.

You might want to get a new strip too....they are cheap. Like 25$ . I wish I had the part number in front of me to give you. I did mine a few years ago...mine was shrunk from age and a rivet popped off. I have the bag it was in tho...if you need it PM and I'll give you the W124 number.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S320
Originally Posted by Jim's500E
The clips are pop-riveted on to the body...and they sometimes break off.

You might want to get a new strip too....they are cheap. Like 25$ . I wish I had the part number in front of me to give you. I did mine a few years ago...mine was shrunk from age and a rivet popped off. I have the bag it was in tho...if you need it PM and I'll give you the W124 number.
Thanks for the help - turns out the rivets holding the last two clips in place have failed. My mechanic says he can re-rivet the clips and all will be well.

Rick in Raleigh