E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Brake servicing questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 12:47 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
94 E320 Coupe
Brake servicing questions

So the little yellow brake light came on so I need to do my brakes. I don't know what is on there now, I am guessing all OEM equipment since this car was serviced by MB prior to me owning it. I may or may not have to replace the front rotors, but I will be replacing all the pads. I also already bought new rear Brembo rotors because I have some pulsating under hard braking (not ABS pulsating).

When I had a W123, I tried performance brakes and rotors and they were very unsatisfactory in many ways, I ended up going all OEM and everything was good again.

So what I want to know is if I should stick with OEM brake pads? Do they produce a lot of dust? Or should I buy aftermarket, and if so which?

Also with regards to the rotors, I am well versed in the science of brakes but not specifically to the W124. So would it be of any benefit to buy slotted rotors? If so who makes them that are of good quality?

94 E320 coupe

Thanks!
Old 03-27-2014, 01:33 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
Nope!!
Old 04-06-2014, 08:26 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
94 E320 Coupe
Well since no one helped maybe my info will help others.

After days of reading posts on many sites about brake pads, I decided on Porterfields, R-4S.

These pads are supposed to brake as well or better than the factory brake pads with significantly less dust. They are a street and track compound leaning towards street. The pads have the notches for the sensors. They come with nothing else. The rear pads have anti squeal plates on them, the front do not. I applied anti squeal compound to the backs just as a safeguard. I did proper break in procedure and everything works great no squeaking no problems at all. I did have to order new dowel pins and spring clips from Mercedes mine were in bad shape. Cost wholesale just for the pins and clips $108 :-O

For rotors I went with Brembo snooth, no slots or holes, so far so good.

Last edited by XJguy; 04-06-2014 at 08:34 PM.