E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

'94 E420 Transmission Seals "Cost Estimate"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 10:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
199o 300E, 1993 300E, 1994 E420, 1997 Range Rover 4.6
'94 E420 Transmission Seals "Cost Estimate"

Hello Forum Brothers..........
I am in need of advise, suggestions, experience, thoughts, 'gotchas', etc.
i have a '94 E420 w/ 237,000mi. that has a "Serious" Transmission fluid leak.
I can put a Gallon of trans fluid in to get it to proper level and it Drives/Shifts very well; However while driving its leaking A LOT ; and within 20-30 miles- enough fluid has been lost that starts the flaring and Not shifting to next gear until eventually Not moving forward At All Until i add More fluid. Also when i park it for a few hours and/or overnight. It loses quite a bit of fluid right there where it sits.
I am Assuming that Transmission itself is Good; because of how it runs the short time fluid remains at proper level prior to leaking itself out.
I am planning on replacing the front pump Seal and the rear seal on the transmission........ So can anyone who KNOWS; Or have had similar Experience and repaired it- Please give me a general idea of the proper/Fair cost of Labor $$. If allowed i will provide my Own ATF Fluid and allow repairer to get proper seals And Replace/Install them. Are there 'more' than those two seals that can be leaking as well? But i am mainly seeking a "Cost
Estimate" for the LABOR $$ of 'replacing' those two (front pump seal And Rear seal).....In the Hopes of Not being taken advantage of.
Any and All Advise, Suggestions, and Experience is Greatly Appreciated....
THANKS; In advance .....................Chance
Old 12-10-2011, 04:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1990 300te
Originally Posted by chance2benz
Hello Forum Brothers..........
I am in need of advise, suggestions, experience, thoughts, 'gotchas', etc.
i have a '94 E420 w/ 237,000mi. that has a "Serious" Transmission fluid leak.
I can put a Gallon of trans fluid in to get it to proper level and it Drives/Shifts very well; However while driving its leaking A LOT ; and within 20-30 miles- enough fluid has been lost that starts the flaring and Not shifting to next gear until eventually Not moving forward At All Until i add More fluid. Also when i park it for a few hours and/or overnight. It loses quite a bit of fluid right there where it sits.
I am Assuming that Transmission itself is Good; because of how it runs the short time fluid remains at proper level prior to leaking itself out.
I am planning on replacing the front pump Seal and the rear seal on the transmission........ So can anyone who KNOWS; Or have had similar Experience and repaired it- Please give me a general idea of the proper/Fair cost of Labor $$. If allowed i will provide my Own ATF Fluid and allow repairer to get proper seals And Replace/Install them. Are there 'more' than those two seals that can be leaking as well? But i am mainly seeking a "Cost
Estimate" for the LABOR $$ of 'replacing' those two (front pump seal And Rear seal).....In the Hopes of Not being taken advantage of.
Any and All Advise, Suggestions, and Experience is Greatly Appreciated....
THANKS; In advance .....................Chance
I paid $300 to do both front and rear transmission seals on my E320.