E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Airbag popped for no apparent reason

Old 09-07-2016, 01:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1987 2.6l w124
Airbag popped for no apparent reason

So I was driving down the highway at normal highway speeds. Smooth road, not even bumpy when out of the blue, my driver's side airbag popped. Scared the heck out of me but I kept going. The car is a 1987 260e and I believe it only has a driver's side airbag. So for now I folded it up and duct taped it so I could still drive. The seatbelts didn't lock so I'm guessing that year didn't have the explosive charge on the belts.

Anyway, it doesn't look too hard to replace the airbag. I can get one from a salvage yard or a used one (not exploded - lol) for around $50USD. I haven't been able to locate a source for DIY mechanics to get a new one. I've read that it is likely to cost over $1,000USD to have a dealer do it.

But my questions are.... how do I troubleshoot the SRS electronics to see why it popped in the first place? I don't want to put another one in, only to have it pop as soon as I turn the car on. Is it possible for the accelerometer to fail? I've never heard of such a thing. And if I replace the airbag and it holds, how do I reset the SRS light? I've read that it requires some sort of special reset tool. Or do I have to now replace the SRS module itself? Maybe the fault is with the SRS module itself?

Thanks,
Bob
Old 09-07-2016, 01:54 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
For what ever reason the SRS control module triggered the airbag, I would also change the module, but make sure it matches the car---use EPC, if not you will be back whining!!

The only residual issue will be the tools required to clear the SRS fault--that won't go away with drive cycles!!
Old 09-08-2016, 01:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1987 2.6l w124
I figured out what caused it. The front flex coupling was failing and a piece flew off and hit the accelerometer. So I'm guessing the module may not have to be replaced but I don't know about the accelerometer. Is it a one-use part and I need to replace it before proceeding? I do know someone that can reset the code.
Old 09-08-2016, 01:33 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
I doubt what you are calling the "accelerometer" is single use.

The other issue is that you don't have the tools to clear AB control module---then wada you do----you get a new module and start a new!!