E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Looking to Resurrect My 89 300CE. HELP ME! NO EXPERIENCE!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 03:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1989 300CE
Looking to Resurrect My 89 300CE. HELP ME! NO EXPERIENCE!

I've decided I am going to resurrect my 1989 300CE. I have absolutely no experience working on cars, but I'm not stupid when it comes to assembling things, following directions and leads to get my answers.

It has only been started once in the last two years. It needed a jump start at the time. I know for a fact it needs a catalytic converter. When I went to get it worked on years ago, I took it to a couple of places that wouldn't touch it unless the something else was fixed on it. Basically, I got the run-around with one guy telling me to get the egg and the other telling me to get the chicken. Cosmetically it is good, but I am not worried about that right now. I want to get it running and moving. I could handle the cosmetic stuff after.

The reason I never sold it was because the odometer (175000 at the time, probably really around 210000 now) stopped working and I knew I wouldn't get what I wanted for it. Now I just want to play with it and keep it.

I was wondering if you guys could point in the direction or a manual or youtuber with some video footage, and possibly give me hints on where to start and how to keep the costs down for parts. I figure cutting labor will be highly cost efficient. Also, any tips on engine swaps with other Mercedes? Any help would be awesome! Thank you!
Old 08-17-2017, 03:51 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
Find and marry a local German bar maid, plus go to Startekinfo.com
Old 08-20-2017, 02:42 AM

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
'90 300CE M103 Manual '93 Alfa 164 QV24 '05 Jaguar X350
Originally Posted by 89MBCE
I've decided I am going to resurrect my 1989 300CE. I have absolutely no experience working on cars, but I'm not stupid when it comes to assembling things, following directions and leads to get my answers.

It has only been started once in the last two years. It needed a jump start at the time. I know for a fact it needs a catalytic converter. When I went to get it worked on years ago, I took it to a couple of places that wouldn't touch it unless the something else was fixed on it. Basically, I got the run-around with one guy telling me to get the egg and the other telling me to get the chicken. Cosmetically it is good, but I am not worried about that right now. I want to get it running and moving. I could handle the cosmetic stuff after.

The reason I never sold it was because the odometer (175000 at the time, probably really around 210000 now) stopped working and I knew I wouldn't get what I wanted for it. Now I just want to play with it and keep it.

I was wondering if you guys could point in the direction or a manual or youtuber with some video footage, and possibly give me hints on where to start and how to keep the costs down for parts. I figure cutting labor will be highly cost efficient. Also, any tips on engine swaps with other Mercedes? Any help would be awesome! Thank you!
I think it depends on how far you want to achieve by DIY. Mercedes of the 1980's early 1990's were largely mechanical with very little electronic stuff so are easier to managed than modern Mercedes.

All problems of the W124 have been tackled and documented so if you have the time there are many resources on the web. The following three have lots of tutorials, pictures and manuals:
http://www.w124-zone.com/news.php
http://www.w124performance.com/servi.../103index.html
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...Index-W124.htm

Good luck!
Old 08-26-2017, 11:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
Pics would help - start with that.