E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

1992 500E won't start

Old 08-23-2017, 10:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1990 190e, 1992 500e
1992 500E won't start

I have 60psi in the fuel rail, impulse to the injectors, spark at the plugs. Engine turns over but will not start. Anything? Coils, caps, rotors, wires and plugs are all new (ie. about 4000km). Also fuel pumps and filters are new. Could this be an ECM failure?

Last edited by Pmcd; 08-24-2017 at 02:14 AM. Reason: More detail
Old 08-24-2017, 06:59 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
1995 E420, 1998 E300TD, 2002 CL230K 6spd, 2002 CL230K auto, 2002 CL280T VR6 Project, 2001 A6 2.7T
Originally Posted by Pmcd
I have 60psi in the fuel rail, impulse to the injectors, spark at the plugs. Engine turns over but will not start. Anything? Coils, caps, rotors, wires and plugs are all new (ie. about 4000km). Also fuel pumps and filters are new. Could this be an ECM failure?
ECM failures are not common but can occur, especially if a car is repeatedly jump started. The symptom of these engines with a "cranks but wont start" problem can be caused by several different issues. It sounds like you have verified the basics of Fuel and Fire but you still need Air and compression to light it off. The Air part in this case would be to make sure there is nothing obstructing flow into the MAF sensor and that there is no large vacuum leak below the throttle on the intake manifold. Make sure you install the air filter housing onto the engine because the MAF sensor is very sensitive and needs laminar flow. Ive see these engines loose compression due to excessive carbon build up from short trips and infrequent use, this can happen when heavy carbon deposits on the piston or combustion chamber, break off and get into the exhaust valves, holding the valves open. When this happens the engine will spin over really fast because its not making much compression. The fuel pressure you reported seems like its too high for some reason, and have you checked the spark plugs to make sure they are not fouled out.
Do you have access to a scan tool or impulse counter that can read out fault codes?
Can you post a video of the engine start attempt? If so try to show the instrument displays and under hood while cranking.
Old 08-25-2017, 07:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1990 190e, 1992 500e
Thanks for the input. More information: the car is highway driven only, shortest trip is 30 km. There has been no jump starting at all, so I figure a failed ECM is not the problem. When it failed, the car was running normally on the highway, had just been in the shop to replace the flexible fuel line section coming off the fuel filters (which are new). The car ran fine for about 7 minutes before quitting ( time enough to drain the fuel lines?). Seems to me the simplest explanation is either a blocked screen in the fuel tank or a blocked filter in the fuel line where it meets the fuel rail. I suspect that when the flexible section of fuel,line was replaced some debris got into the line and traveled up the the rail and blocked up the filter under the hood. Checking all that out today, I'll keep ya posted.