E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

1992 300E w124 electrical issue/ loss of eletrical power

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 12:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes W124 300E
1992 300E w124 electrical issue/ loss of eletrical power

I own a 1992 (w124 ) 300 E with 115 k miles. Its in great shape, lucky find...
When I bought it, i noticed when I turned on the air conditioning or the heat, the gauges on the dash surged to max levels. In other words gas gauge went to full and the water temp went to max 120. Turn air off, things go back to normal immediately. As time went on, things got worse. When using the air or heat, the fan power decreased...dash gauges maxed and at night with lights on, the dash will go dim revealing hazard arrows, but head lights remain strong.
also, when you use the windshield wipers, the dash gauges surge with each wipe.
Went on a long trip, using air conditioning and during our return the air conditioning stopped and all the dash guages went to max levels and will not decrease. Windshield wipers will not work. Seems like the car has lost eletrical power... I did replace the ovp relay fuse behind the battery last year and i bought a bosch voltage regulator, but did not replace it yet. Had the alternator checked, things are normal.
What the hell is going on? I asked a few mechanics and they have no clue...even asked "Mercedes Source" online, they had no answer. Taking it to the shop on monday, would love to have some knowledge to give mechanic.
thanks in advance.