E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

1994 E420 - Coolant in Oil

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 03:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1994 E420
1994 E420 - Coolant in Oil

About a month ago I changed the engine mounts on my car using an engine crane. The next day after replacing the mounts the car started to puff large amounts of white steam out of the exhaust that smells terrible. It doesn't smell sweet like coolant but I don't know what else it would be.

I thought the head gasket was gone but I did some testing, and here's what I know currently:

---

- I am burning coolant, quickly. About the whole expansion tank every 15 miles.

- All cylinders within 5 psi of 170 psi when tested dry. ( I wasn't sure if I need to test wet if the compression shows good dry)

- There are no combustion gasses in the coolant, tested with block fluid tester.

- There is no oil in the coolant, all was drained out.

- The oil was normal looking for the first 3 weeks, I was checking frequently. However it has now started slowly turning a beige color on the dipstick so I have stopped running the car. Not sure if it matters, but the beige oil only shows up on the dipstick, in the PCV hoses, and on the tops of bolts inside the valve covers. Everywhere else it looks fairly normal.

- The oil still has an oil like consistency, and is not chunky. But is a light beige and not transparent where I indicated.

- The distributors (located on the front of the camshaft with a seal to the crankcase), were pulled about 2 weeks ago and they contained dried green residue.

- The intake manifold has been pulled off, and it appears it was leaking badly on both sides in the rear of the engine internally to the rear cylinders, near the hooks for the engine crane.

---

So my question is mainly this, could the intake manifold have been leaking enough coolant into the engine that some got blown by the piston rings and into the crank case? I'd like to avoid doing the heads but the oil thing has me pretty worried its a head gasket, although my testing so far indicates that it may be ok, I just don't know how realistic coolant getting into the intake and fouling the oil is.

Any insight is appreciated. Below are some pictures of the gasket where it was leaking if it helps.

Old 08-17-2018, 12:33 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
1994 e320 coupe
very possible the intake leaking got coolant in there.

Fix the leak, change the oil, and re-test.
Old 08-17-2018, 07:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1994 E420
Originally Posted by teahead
very possible the intake leaking got coolant in there.

Fix the leak, change the oil, and re-test.
Thank you,

Currently having the manifold resurfaced and then ill get it all back together and test.