E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

LIFT points and jack stand positioning for my 1990 300E

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-30-2018, 03:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1990 300E & 2000 CLK320
LIFT points and jack stand positioning for my 1990 300E

I did my first oil change this past weekend. After warming to the idea of evacuating the old oil with a hand pump, having the filter topside had a lot to do with that, I decided that I just couldn’t do it. I pumped it out, but the apprehension of dirty oil being left in the pan proved to be just too much. So I jacked it up ( floor jack) and placed jack stands, took off shroud, and drained by the pan plug.
I only got about a third a cup of the remaining oil, but I don’t regret going to the trouble. Just good to know, and I may go that route in the future. It sure makes it quicker, and less dangerous!
Which brings me to my question. I used the floor jack at the point directly below where the tire-change jack would go. It seemed to be reinforced there with a molded “cup” that fit right into the “dish” on the end of my floor jack’s arm. I placed the jack stand (lowest notch, but at what I felt, might have been reaching the upper limit if my floor jack). Still wasn’t high enough, but enough to get the shroud off, whereupon I moved the jack to those points in the frame/cross-member where the two screws that hold the shroud on are. The cross-member seemed especially heavy there. So jacked up a little more (enough to move the jack stands to a notch or two above the lowest) First one side, place the stand below the tire-change jack spot, then the same on the other side.
It seemed sturdy, but I am second-guessing the whole time I’m under there! There must be a better way. Many thanks! Bob
Old 09-03-2018, 08:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1992 300CE, 1983 380SL
There should be a round rubber disk, immediately behind the front wheel, about 2" thick that is the jack point.
You can then put the jack stands on the frame rail about 9" toward the center of the car from there.

At the red arrow, and you can see the frame rail behind.

https://cdn4.pelicanparts.com/techar...arge/pic02.jpg

Last edited by Boise300CE; 09-03-2018 at 08:27 PM.