E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Fuel-level sender installation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-18-2004, 09:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes Benz E220
Exclamation Fuel-level sender installation

I wanted to install a new fuel level sender unit (VDO make) in my fuel tank (vertical mounted). This is a long aluminum cylinder type with a plastic cap and a three prong outlet. The problem I am facing is removing the flange that secures the fuel level sender. I am just not able to budge it with my wrench (46mm hex). Does anyone know if it's counter-clockwise to unscrew or clockwise?
BTW, it's for a E220 petrol 1995 W124.
Thanks!
Old 11-19-2004, 08:46 AM

1991 300E
I've never done this job myself but I've heard it's a real pain to get that nut off. I believe it's on there so tight because of the gasket underneath it that forms the seal. I would try opening the filler cap so that you have equal pressure inside and outside the gas tank. That may help. As far as I know it is not a reverse screw. If it'll fit try taking a piece of pipe and sticking the handle of your wrench inside to lenghten the handle and give you more leverage.
Old 11-20-2004, 12:11 AM

Mercedes Benz E220
Thanks mhorn. Yes, it's the normal thread. I din't try to equalise the pressure by removing the filler cap as you mentioned. Good suggestion BTW. Kept bumping the wrench for a while and the damn thing freed up, also managed to get a sprain in the process. Rest of the procedure was too simple. I couldn't find replacement rings for the flange (one that secures the level sender unit), but nevertheless the existing ones were intact. It's all drum tight now.