E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

headrest wont go down

Old 04-19-2005, 09:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 Focus ST
headrest wont go down

well my head rest won't go down now. all funtions of the seat work. even passager seat. (heat and movement) but just drivers side won't go down. fuse is good. i can even here it clicking inside the dash.

any opionins?
Old 04-20-2005, 12:30 AM

Not a Benzer anymore
Try Going To

www.edsoto.com and finding the video that shows how to remove the headrest...

you can probably remove it, then reinstall it.

Old 04-20-2005, 12:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,000 Likes on 807 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
First try moving the entire seat all the way forward. You should be able to adjust the head rest. Now, place the seat back where you want it and the headrest should work.
Old 04-20-2005, 02:47 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
09' E350, 01' Maxima SE, 93 Nissan Maxima SE, 1987 Nissan Maxima SE
What did you do, did you press the memory button or the headrest button. If it's the headrest button, try the memory and seee if it moves, if both failed, then possibly you have a burned out motor in the seatback.
Old 04-20-2005, 02:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 Focus ST
the memory button puts everything in the right position except for the headrest.....and the headrest button only makes the clicking noise. and when i move the seat back or forward it usually moves the headest to these random positions, but it does not do that anymore.
Old 04-20-2005, 02:41 PM

02 E320
Headrest

I had the same prob before, had to replace the motor
Old 04-20-2005, 03:36 PM

I have the same problem. Luckily my motor is not bad, it only have bad contact. Here's what you can do:

- Remove the head rest (pull out), snap it back on, function test. If it even move a little bit, then at least the motor is working.

- Remove the seat back, see edsoto.com site

- Make sure the plastic piece that hold the headset (white pieces) are not broken. If they are you can use 2 plastic tie wrap to secure it in place.

- Now you check the motor, you can push the motor toward the left (or press on the part where the electrical cable connect to the motor) at the same time ask someone to push the headrest button to test it - you should get better response from the motor now - so if the motor still move, it's just bad contact

- I used some electrical tape to wrap the motor and hold that in a good position to make electrical contact.

Good luck and let us know if this help.

JeffreyP
Old 04-20-2005, 03:38 PM

SL500 E320 ML350
Definitely sounds like the motor. Sorry 'bout that!
Old 04-22-2005, 05:19 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
W204 C300 2010
even if is the motor

If you checked connector connections as advised from the post above. Try this one last trick. With the seat back removed, light tap the motor with a small hammer or possible a rachet socket wrench. tape near the top of the motor next to the gear case. This may free up the brushes that usually get stuck to the communtator. If it starts working, it may fail very soon after. If you are ambitous enough, remove the motor, disassemble the motor case and clean the brushes and communtator with some electric motor contact cleaner. Unless the motor was put under an extreme load that cause internal heating to short the windings, this usually will get more service life from a series wound motor.
Old 04-23-2005, 12:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 Focus ST
well i never found anything on that website that would help me. but today i took off the seat back and i stared at the motor for like 5 minutes.tapped it a few times. i then proceded to push the button voila it worked. so i put it in the all the way down position.

but now my only problem is that if someone else drives my car....(usully my mother) if she pushes the seat back the headrest moves automatically. and i don't want that to happen. i need to find a way to dissable that.
Old 01-03-2009, 04:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
99 e320 sedan
99 E320 - Driver Side Headrest Up/Down Repair

Had similar function issue. I was able to repair by tie wrapping the headrest drive motor to the wire feeding the motor (when I moved the wire with someone operating the headrest button it would start/stop intermittently). Not sure if this is a repair for all, but worked for me.
To fix; 1st lower driver seat rear panel - pull both sides at top (see pic 1). 2nd with seat panel lowered you will have access to the motor/wire connector (see pic 2). Don't lean on panel because it can pop off of lower trim screws on bottom. If this happens, just remove screws, position panel and re-shoot screws. In Pic 3, I am pointing towards the connector that in my case was loose. What I did was to get this connector into a position where when I function the headrest up/down it worked consistently. Once complete and tested, raise rear panel and bend top tabs forward to clear top opening in seat back (a little stiff, but gently apply enough force to clear - don't bend quickly - potentially could brake tab).

Hope this helps someone.
Attached Thumbnails headrest wont go down-headrest-pic-1.jpg   headrest wont go down-headrest-pic-2.jpg   headrest wont go down-headrest-pic-3.jpg   headrest wont go down-headrest-pic-4.jpg  

Last edited by jocouzi; 01-03-2009 at 04:51 PM.
The following users liked this post:
SergioBrazil (04-03-2021)
Old 01-04-2009, 09:58 PM

99' E320 4MATIC ESTATE / 92' 190E 2.6
had same issue. works like a champ with the tie wrap fix
Old 01-27-2009, 11:44 PM

1991 SC Miata, 1999 W210 Estate Wagon
I just read this, went out to the car and fixed it in 5 minutes flat. Great tip, wonderful pictures!
Old 03-20-2010, 07:52 PM

96/97 E420
Head rest adjustment stopped "working" twice. Switch activated but head rest would not move. Fixed this by pressing firmly downwards on the headrest whilst pressing down on the switch. Perhaps it just jumps out of its track and needs to be pressed back in.
Old 03-21-2010, 12:50 AM

97 E-420
From reading the above posts, and my similar experience with the headrest motor, the likely real problem is cold solder joints in either the connector or the motor and the circuit board. The cure is to remove the motor assembly and examine all the solder joints carefully and resolder any that have a cold solder joint (broken connection). On mine both 3 pin connectors had bad solder joints, and one of the motor connections to the circuit board had bad solder joints. Since resoldering, headrests are now like new.

I to tried some of the other solutions mentioned in previous posts and they would work for a while, then back to erratic operation.

to remove the motor assemblies, remove the headrest and seatback cover. Then tap the motor assembly with a mallet to move the assembly sideways. it will then drop out of the seat and you can disasemble the motor (pretty obvious) to get to the circuit board and touch up the solder joints.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:07 AM

11 ML350W2 / 17 GLC300
I have had the intermittent headrest problem for several years but since my wife only drives that car infrequently it has been only an annoyance. I followed the instructions and pictures to wire-tie the cable to the motor and it seems to work fine now. I did find that it was easier to remove the seatback by removing the two screws at the bottom of the seatback. The screws have a T15 torx head. After removing the screws, grasp the back at the bottom, pull back and down. With the back removed, there is more room to work on the headrest motor assembly and the reassembly doesn't risk breaking the tabs on the top of the seatback.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:47 PM

e320
How to remove headrest motor assy

Originally Posted by jocouzi
Had similar function issue. I was able to repair by tie wrapping the headrest drive motor to the wire feeding the motor (when I moved the wire with someone operating the headrest button it would start/stop intermittently). Not sure if this is a repair for all, but worked for me.
To fix; 1st lower driver seat rear panel - pull both sides at top (see pic 1). 2nd with seat panel lowered you will have access to the motor/wire connector (see pic 2). Don't lean on panel because it can pop off of lower trim screws on bottom. If this happens, just remove screws, position panel and re-shoot screws. In Pic 3, I am pointing towards the connector that in my case was loose. What I did was to get this connector into a position where when I function the headrest up/down it worked consistently. Once complete and tested, raise rear panel and bend top tabs forward to clear top opening in seat back (a little stiff, but gently apply enough force to clear - don't bend quickly - potentially could brake tab).

Hope this helps someone.
Dear Sir,

I photos are very helpful. I removed the seat-back cover and freed the head rest from the motor assy, but I do not know how to remove the motor assy from the metal cross. It seems to me the motor assy is self-clamped to the metal cross. any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Bigmeco
Old 04-01-2010, 11:52 AM

97 E-420
Originally Posted by bigmeco
Dear Sir,

I photos are very helpful. I removed the seat-back cover and freed the head rest from the motor assy, but I do not know how to remove the motor assy from the metal cross. It seems to me the motor assy is self-clamped to the metal cross. any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Bigmeco
motor assy slides into a notch in the metal. Tap it with a rubber mallet or a sharp rap with your hand will pop it loose. If your looking at the back of of the seat, tap it to your right. It will move right and then drop down.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:12 PM

e320
Originally Posted by E-420
motor assy slides into a notch in the metal. Tap it with a rubber mallet or a sharp rap with your hand will pop it loose. If your looking at the back of of the seat, tap it to your right. It will move right and then drop down.
Dear Sir:

Followed your instruction and it worked very well. The motor is OK. The cable connections is the problem. I am enable to bring the headrest down to the lower limit then disconnected the cable, because I prefer this position anyway and no one can move it up any more, thanks for your kind help.

Please provide me some more advice if you can.

1. The ENGINE CHECK light on the dash board some time is on when I start the engine or after drive for a while. Why? is it a big deal?

2. The empty fuel tank warning light sometime is on even the tank is a half full. How hard to fix it?

Thanks in advance!

Bigmeco
Old 05-08-2010, 11:58 PM

E350
Thank goodness I found this board. This is my first Mercedes and I am quite ignorant about the car.
Old 06-06-2010, 12:35 AM

1999 E320
had simillar problem and noticed only when passanger sitting there you can operate head rest up or down ,very weird,could be bad connection or something.
Old 06-16-2010, 04:09 AM

E320
another way to fix it

ok, now I will tell own story.

there are only two reasons known why the headrest might not work:
- wiring harness underneath the seat damaged
- bad contact at electric motor

a much easier way to find out is to remove the motor assembly.
you can actually feel it when disconnecting the cable from the motor - the board will slightly play, that means it would not work.

so, here are the pics

the motor assy

carefully remove the stop ring and the the cover

once the cover has been removed, you'll see this

for my convenience I have removed the toothed gear
it is easy to remove, it's not fixed, just pull it up

now carefully remove the motor itself
once it has been removed, you can see this

that the soldering is out of the contact
to get it back to work, just take a soldering tape and solder it back
easy work but takes some time
be sure to solder it well otherwise the problem may come back again

hope it helps
Old 06-16-2010, 10:03 AM

11 ML350W2 / 17 GLC300
Great pictures. That will help the next time I have to fix my headrest problems.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:28 PM

97 E-420
when I fixed mine about 6 months ago, the passenger side had all three of the solder joints for the plug and both the motor solder joints broken (cold solder). Drivers side had two of the plug and one motor solder joint bad. Once I fixed, it works like a champ.

thanks to sledge hammer for posting pictures for others. I didn't take any pictures when taking mine apart.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:36 PM

1999 MB E320, 2002 Toyota 4-Runner
Worked for me too on my 1999 E320 sedan. Thanks for the information.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: headrest wont go down