MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W210) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w210-2/)
-   -   W & S Mode (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w210/125255-w-s-mode.html)

bogene2020 11-01-2005 11:22 AM

W & S Mode

What does the switch with the W & S on the transmission console do . I have an E430

Thanks

StapleGun 11-01-2005 11:25 AM

Winter/Summer mode...supposedly prevents wheelslip in 'winter' mode..believe it starts in 2nd gear to prevent this. Manual should address this feature BTW.

lexrex 11-01-2005 12:36 PM

W mode also upshifts at lower RPM and is more reluctant to downshift. Reverse in W mode uses 2nd Reverse. (Our transmissions have 2 reverse gears.)

JohnCL 11-01-2005 12:43 PM

The transmission is provided with a selector switch for Standard "S" and Winter/Wet (snow and ice) "W" program modes.

Standard Mode

Press switch on symbol "S". Use this mode for all regular driving. The vehicle will start out in 1st gear.

Fast On = Depressing the accelerator pedal quickly (not into kickdown position) while driving continuously, rather than depressing the accelerator pedal in the usual manner, will cause the automatic transmission to shift down into a lower gear. This gear shifting process is dependent on the current vehicle speed.

Fast Off = There will be no upshift when releasing the accelerator pedal quickly, e.g. using the engine's braking power during performance driving.

Winter/Wet (snow and ice) Mode

Press switch on symbol "W". The vehicle starts out in 2nd gear, except with selector lever in 1st gear, or with accelerator pedal in kick down position.

The "W" mode helps to improve traction and driving stability of the vehicle. The gear shifting process occurs at lower vehicle and engine speeds than in the "S" program mode.

Caution! Never change the program mode when the selector lever is out of position "P". It could result in a change of driving characteristics for which you may not be prepared.

Always be certain of the program mode selected since the vehicle driving characteristics change with the selection of the program mode. Dependent on the program mode selector switch position "S" or "W" and the gear selector lever in position "R", the ratio of power transmission changes.

StapleGun 11-01-2005 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by johncl
The transmission is provided with a selector switch for Standard "S" and Winter/Wet (snow and ice) "W" program modes.

Standard Mode

Press switch on symbol "S". Use this mode for all regular driving. The vehicle will start out in 1st gear.

Fast On = Depressing the accelerator pedal quickly (not into kickdown position) while driving continuously, rather than depressing the accelerator pedal in the usual manner, will cause the automatic transmission to shift down into a lower gear. This gear shifting process is dependent on the current vehicle speed.

Fast Off = There will be no upshift when releasing the accelerator pedal quickly, e.g. using the engine's braking power during performance driving.

Winter/Wet (snow and ice) Mode

Press switch on symbol "W". The vehicle starts out in 2nd gear, except with selector lever in 1st gear, or with accelerator pedal in kick down position.

The "W" mode helps to improve traction and driving stability of the vehicle. The gear shifting process occurs at lower vehicle and engine speeds than in the "S" program mode.

Caution! Never change the program mode when the selector lever is out of position "P". It could result in a change of driving characteristics for which you may not be prepared.

Important! Always be certain of the program mode selected since the vehicle driving characteristics change with the selection of the program mode. Dependent on the program mode selector switch position "S" or "W" and the gear selector lever in position "R", the ratio of power transmission changes.

...well, there goes my Reader's Digest version :rolleyes:

esojmc 03-10-2008 10:20 AM

Would the "W" mode also improve fuel efficiency?

Thanks.

E420SportGT 03-10-2008 01:29 PM

great..I've changed from W to S while in Drive position. If I stop the car and put in P position, and press the switch again, will that reset things? lol.

ohlord 03-10-2008 01:48 PM

No

w mode won't improve fuel economy.
Yes just shut it off and switch back to s mode,why are you playing with it?
:bow:

E420SportGT 03-11-2008 04:12 PM

was trying it out to see the difference..till I read that you shouldn't touch it when driving :p:

ohlord 03-11-2008 04:38 PM

You

did not harm it,it just might result in an erratic shift mode,shutting it down and switching back will make it all better:y
:bow:

Lancelot 03-16-2008 05:08 AM

Welll...with my 95hp 220 Diesel it simply doesn't have the power to get into a slip changing between W and S while driving! I always 'love' it though how I KEEP telling my wife to put it in W whenever it's freezing outside.

dan_cobb 04-09-2008 01:52 AM

W = 'wife mode'
S = 'spouse mode'

;)
+++

Jan AMG 09-08-2016 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by dan_cobb (Post 2756360)
W = 'wife mode'
S = 'spouse mode'

;)
+++

Love it :D