E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

'99 w210 wagon: no sound at all-BUT radio powers up

Old 02-08-2022, 11:14 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
e320
'99 w210 wagon: no sound at all-BUT radio powers up

hi there
new MB owner- got it in today
bought it for 2k, put 1k of work in so far and am stuck now with this radio deal

radio goes on, cd's even play (can see timer on track working)

BUT no sound out of any speaker.

So i have so far tried the following:
1) looked at stereo system fuse (marked as #16 under rear seat) ---but fuse is good i believe - and videos i have seen on YT indicate that the amp fuse shold be liek a 40a, but in the #16 position that the card under the hood states is for stereo system is only a 20a---so there's that and not as the fuse card reflects. but nonetheless the fuse is good.
2) at first i thought it was bc the antenna co-ax was broken from the Motorola booster in the back by the cd changer, but even with am or cd as source, no sound
3) thought maybe the radio still has/thinks the phone is connected and has it muted. --but pressing the phone button....i get msg stating NO PHONE

so i am kinda lost and wondering if maybe the amp is shot, or maybe there is an internal fuse in the amp itself??

thanks in advance any help is appreciated - i need my music!...and hands free phone stuff.

pl thx

Last edited by mhyde71; 02-08-2022 at 11:35 PM.
Old 02-10-2022, 10:46 AM

e320
so i have pulled amp out...and even the fuse in the amp is fine

so my last guess is the amp itself.

i have disconnected the battery in hopes to 'reset' the radio, then needed to enter code from dlr to get it unlocked, which went w/o hitch (meaning the stereo is original to car and not an alien radio.

BUT GOSH DANG IT ALL !!! STILL NO SOUND any speaker !!!

so i bought a junk yard amp from ebay for 30$ shipped... gonna try that out and see if maybe just maybe the amp has **** the bed. which i have seen that 3 have sold in last month alone on ebay. and you know it is 20+ years old if orig to car like the radio is. so maybe leaky capacitors or something in amp itself... i will try different amp, easy remove / replace. seller says 30 day warranty that it is working so thats cool.

but if not the amp itself.....i am lost.. maybe wires pulled out from behind radio? but if that were so, all 4 outputs?? F/R L/R?? seems unlikely

and all sour ces no sound, cd, tape am/fm. my guess is the amp

Last edited by mhyde71; 02-10-2022 at 11:09 AM.
Old 02-15-2022, 02:24 PM

e320
so this sucks---

got new amp in, and still no sound

so i have tried the following:
turning phone off (someone suggested in other chat thread)
looked at all fuses.--all good.
i took meter to plug/wire harness going into amp- 14.4v at plug, and on on one of the legs with fuse removed.
readings of appr 6-7v at adapter from signal (sound) from radio)
Pulled radio out...all wires looking good none compromised.

wtf can it be ---amp, radio,
last thing would be all speakers, sub, and all door/dash/pillar speakers are blown?? whats the possibility of that happening? i say slim to none.

what else is there though? have power and signal going to amp- but no sounds.

Last edited by mhyde71; 02-15-2022 at 02:35 PM.