E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Help - possible blown gasket

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 03:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E320, 2004 C240 4Matic, 2001 S430
Help - possible blown gasket

Folks

I am an ex-W211 owner and my cousin recently got a W210 (1997 E320). He just noticed large oil stains under the car and, upon further inspection, saw 3 places where the engine compartment leaks oil (even when the car is off) and seems to be splattering all over the place when on. He is on his way to the dealer but I have a few questions for people who might know more about cars than us:
- if it's a blown gasket is it worth trying to fix it with one of those sealants you add to your oil (available at AutoZone)? Or are those for lower end cars and can futher damage his? In any case, would you recommend anything along these lines?
- how much should an engine gasket replacement cost?
- how long can he drive like that and what more can happen (if he doesn't make it to the dealer in time)? I mean, can the engine go altogether?
- finally, he had an oil change at a Shell station, if is it possible this was caused by using the wrong oil, oil that's not synthetic etc?

Any help/feedback is highly appreciated

Thanks a lot,
Sergiu
Old 12-12-2006, 04:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2016 Z06/Z07, 2017 AMG GT
Do you know if it was a head gasket or valve cover gasket? Big difference here. If it was the head gasket I would be checking the oil (dipstick) for water/coolant. Does it look milky?

Adding an additive to fix a leak is never a solution. I wouldn't ever go there.

And, adding the wrong oil will not cause a problem like this.

I hope this info, though limited, helps.

Eric
Old 12-12-2006, 06:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML320, Looking for my S4
Originally Posted by intrinsico
Folks

I am an ex-W211 owner and my cousin recently got a W210 (1997 E320). He just noticed large oil stains under the car and, upon further inspection, saw 3 places where the engine compartment leaks oil (even when the car is off) and seems to be splattering all over the place when on. He is on his way to the dealer but I have a few questions for people who might know more about cars than us:
- if it's a blown gasket is it worth trying to fix it with one of those sealants you add to your oil (available at AutoZone)? Or are those for lower end cars and can futher damage his? In any case, would you recommend anything along these lines?
- how much should an engine gasket replacement cost?
- how long can he drive like that and what more can happen (if he doesn't make it to the dealer in time)? I mean, can the engine go altogether?
- finally, he had an oil change at a Shell station, if is it possible this was caused by using the wrong oil, oil that's not synthetic etc?

Any help/feedback is highly appreciated

Thanks a lot,
Sergiu

i had this done when i got my car let me look for the receipt. also its comon for the 1996-1997 e320 i6 3.2 to blow a head gasket.
Old 12-12-2006, 06:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML320, Looking for my S4
found it here ya go
Attached Thumbnails Help - possible blown gasket-save.jpg  
Old 12-12-2006, 07:17 PM

Awesome, thanks. I'll let you know what the dealer says.
Old 12-12-2006, 07:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML320, Looking for my S4
good luck, i hope its not to serious.
Old 12-12-2006, 07:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
You had said that it is oil thats leaking. A head gasket will not leak much oil, just coolant. The previous poster had a different sort of problem.
Old 12-13-2006, 12:07 PM

I see, well, I took it to the dealer this morning, hopefully they figure out what it is. They had me authorize up to $476 in diagnostic charges in case there is a lot of labor need to get to the root of the problem - man, nothing for free from Benz...

S
Old 12-13-2006, 12:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I see, well, I took it to the dealer this morning, hopefully they figure out what it is. They had me authorize up to $476 in diagnostic charges in case there is a lot of labor need to get to the root of the problem - man, nothing for free from Benz...

S
Why would you expect Benz to diagnose for free. Are you paid when you go to work?? If its related to what the Shell Station did, they should pay and if I were you I would notify them of the problem now.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W212 & W210
how many miles on the car?
Was there coolant or milky residue in the dip stick?

Keep us updated. Thanks
Old 12-13-2006, 11:38 PM

There was no milky stuff in the oil, I guess it just happened... Anyway, the dealer confirms it's a blown gasket and estimated $2400 in repairs (parts and labor). Granted that the diagnostic fee is not refundable (not sure how much it is at this point), is this a reasonable price or should he shop around a little more?
Old 12-14-2006, 09:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML320, Looking for my S4
There was no milky stuff in the oil, I guess it just happened... Anyway, the dealer confirms it's a blown gasket and estimated $2400 in repairs (parts and labor). Granted that the diagnostic fee is not refundable (not sure how much it is at this point), is this a reasonable price or should he shop around a little more?
If you come down to nyc i might be able to get you a cheaper deal on your car. I know a few people at the mercedes benz dealer in longisland city
Old 01-06-2007, 04:56 PM

My '96 E320 has 78K miles on it and I found a few drop of oil on garage. I do not loose any oil, do not find any oil on a surface of coolant reservoir, trans oil dip stick level stays unchanged, so I hope it's not a head gasket problem... and I have no idea where oil is coming from... Any suggestion before I take it to my indy master mechanic
Thanks
Old 01-06-2007, 06:32 PM

By the way, in our case, the dealer quoted $2400 but they called before the car was ready saying that in the process they broke some hoses and it will be a couple of hundred more. Calling the service manager didn't help, they maintained they are not responsible for these kinds of damages and my cousin paid the extra $200 - a bunch of bull if you ask me....

Regarding ccmbduong's car, I can only suggest bringing it to someone who knows what they're doing. My cousin's car did not have the classic symptoms of a blown gasket (see above) but it was... However, people suggested many other possibilities.
Old 01-28-2007, 01:43 PM

Took my car to my MB indy and he confirmed it's ahead gasket leak. 3 days for him to fix it, $1711 total ($1300 labor). He replaced head gasket, head bolts, installed 6 new OEM spark plugs, new coolant, new reg. oil and new oil filter. He asked me to drive for 300 miles then take it back to him to drain reg oil engine and refill with Mobil 1. This is a very poor quality from MB, especially after 77K miles (and it happens to a lot of E320)... This is my first MB and it will be my last. Next car is Lexus for sure. I gave MB a chance and it failed to have me back as a repeated customer (I have had both head gasket leak AND rusty spring perches... No wonder why Lexus is taking over the market)
Old 01-28-2007, 02:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ccmbduong
Took my car to my MB indy and he confirmed it's ahead gasket leak. 3 days for him to fix it, $1711 total ($1300 labor). He replaced head gasket, head bolts, installed 6 new OEM spark plugs, new coolant, new reg. oil and new oil filter. He asked me to drive for 300 miles then take it back to him to drain reg oil engine and refill with Mobil 1. This is a very poor quality from MB, especially after 77K miles (and it happens to a lot of E320)... This is my first MB and it will be my last. Next car is Lexus for sure. I gave MB a chance and it failed to have me back as a repeated customer (I have had both head gasket leak AND rusty spring perches... No wonder why Lexus is taking over the market)
You know, I do not think that MB really cares about a car that was made 11 years ago and is not even a current model. They could care less that you had it repaired by someone they did not authorize. And you think that Lexus is any different??
Old 01-28-2007, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by ccmbduong
I think you should save most of your anger for the guy that sold you the car with a bad head gasket. That did not just "happen" all of a sudden.
Old 01-28-2007, 03:53 PM

1998 E320
Either way, mercedes' are not the most reliable cars and are incredibly expensive to fix. Lexus is expensive to fix, but you won't have as many problems. My parents have had both mercedes and lexus, Lexus is superior in reliablity, Mercedes..looks nicer. Also, statistical reports say that Lexus is ranked #1 in car reliablity, and those don't lie.

So some of you can continue saying that it "is the previous drivers fault" but no, not really lol. Also, mercedes support is GREAT WHEN YOU HAVE YOUR WARRANTY. THEY TREAT YOU LIKE GOD. They offer you loner cars free of charge, and put you in priority over others. But once your warranty goes out, they don't give a rat's a$$ about you.

I personally only drive a mercedes BECAUSE it's a mercedes. It has its own unique look and drives great.
Old 01-28-2007, 05:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Nate
Either way, mercedes' are not the most reliable cars and are incredibly expensive to fix. Lexus is expensive to fix, but you won't have as many problems. My parents have had both mercedes and lexus, Lexus is superior in reliablity, Mercedes..looks nicer. Also, statistical reports say that Lexus is ranked #1 in car reliablity, and those don't lie.

So some of you can continue saying that it "is the previous drivers fault" but no, not really lol. Also, mercedes support is GREAT WHEN YOU HAVE YOUR WARRANTY. THEY TREAT YOU LIKE GOD. They offer you loner cars free of charge, and put you in priority over others. But once your warranty goes out, they don't give a rat's a$$ about you.

I personally only drive a mercedes BECAUSE it's a mercedes. It has its own unique look and drives great.

What you are saying about MB dealers makes no sense whatsoever. Why would they treat you well within warranty and poorly after. The only difference is who is paying their bill. Perhaps in your case you argue every nickle and they do not welcome you. I am treated very well, I get a loaner MB and fair charges, warranty or not. As for Lexus, they have their issues also. If not, whay are their dealer shops as large as the MB dealers with many mechanics?? My neighbors year old top of the line Lexus is in for its second major engine problem, first time they changed the heads and this time they are replacing the engine. He also had no start problems, battery/electrical problems and many cosmetic problems. The Lexus has about 14000 miles on it.
Old 01-28-2007, 06:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1995 E320 SE, 162,000 Miles (Sold)
Lexus?! I admit I have been tempted, but have you ever driven one? It's just a Camry wearing a tuxedo, nothing more. Besides, the new ones are cheaply built. Sure they will go forever on just oil changes but they are not satisfying to drive. There is really nothing special about them that makes you want to spend money keeping them up and own them forever. After a while you get tired of it and trade it in like a Ford. At least stick with a a real car made in Germany. I have not found quality anywhere else, and remember- quality is more than reliability.
Old 01-29-2007, 12:08 AM

1998 E320
Originally Posted by sosh
What you are saying about MB dealers makes no sense whatsoever. Why would they treat you well within warranty and poorly after. The only difference is who is paying their bill. Perhaps in your case you argue every nickle and they do not welcome you. I am treated very well, I get a loaner MB and fair charges, warranty or not. As for Lexus, they have their issues also. If not, whay are their dealer shops as large as the MB dealers with many mechanics?? My neighbors year old top of the line Lexus is in for its second major engine problem, first time they changed the heads and this time they are replacing the engine. He also had no start problems, battery/electrical problems and many cosmetic problems. The Lexus has about 14000 miles on it.
It makes no sense? Haha, it makes complete sense. About your neighbors lexus, there are MUCH fewer lexus' cars that get problems than mercedes. Just because your neighbors car is having problems doesn't mean that lexus' aren't reliable. EVERYONE knows that lexus/toyota is more reliable than mercedes, oh please. I can't even believe that you are trying to say that Mercedes is more reliable than lexus. PLEASE, look at consumer reports, look at reviews, GO TO A LEXUS DEALERSHIP. Also, do you know how many mercedes i know of that have had TONS of problems under 14000 miles?(especially the ml). There service is also horrible. Like I said, I own a mercedes because of the name and the nice look.
Old 01-29-2007, 12:10 AM

1998 E320
Originally Posted by shdoug
Lexus?! I admit I have been tempted, but have you ever driven one? It's just a Camry wearing a tuxedo, nothing more. Besides, the new ones are cheaply built. Sure they will go forever on just oil changes but they are not satisfying to drive. There is really nothing special about them that makes you want to spend money keeping them up and own them forever. After a while you get tired of it and trade it in like a Ford. At least stick with a a real car made in Germany. I have not found quality anywhere else, and remember- quality is more than reliability.
you are correct, hence why I drive a mercedes. But yes, lexus are more reliable, but have a cheaply built in interior. And they do feel like a toyota camry lol
Old 01-29-2007, 08:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It makes no sense? Haha, it makes complete sense. About your neighbors lexus, there are MUCH fewer lexus' cars that get problems than mercedes. Just because your neighbors car is having problems doesn't mean that lexus' aren't reliable. EVERYONE knows that lexus/toyota is more reliable than mercedes, oh please. I can't even believe that you are trying to say that Mercedes is more reliable than lexus. PLEASE, look at consumer reports, look at reviews, GO TO A LEXUS DEALERSHIP. Also, do you know how many mercedes i know of that have had TONS of problems under 14000 miles?(especially the ml). There service is also horrible. Like I said, I own a mercedes because of the name and the nice look.
Your logic defys me. I have been to a Lexus dealership in fact a friend owns one. Your MB service may be horrible but that could be because of your attitude towards the service people. Mine is excellent and my current cars have had few i9f any problems. Perhaps you would be happier driving a Ford Focus than an MB. Hope your parents continue to be happy with their Toyata.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:28 AM

1998 E320
Originally Posted by sosh
Your logic defys me. I have been to a Lexus dealership in fact a friend owns one. Your MB service may be horrible but that could be because of your attitude towards the service people. Mine is excellent and my current cars have had few i9f any problems. Perhaps you would be happier driving a Ford Focus than an MB. Hope your parents continue to be happy with their Toyata.
I have never treated anyone from MB service in a horrible manner. Yes, I would be happier driving a ford focus..What does that have to do with anything. I like the quality of mercedes, that's why i drive them. And a Ford Focus isn't reliable either haha. You are making no sense now whatsoever. My mom has an S class and my Dad has a GS. My mom has had a lot of problems AND has kept up in maintaining the car, my dad has had none. It's about time you stop dissing toyota because in the long run, which car will keep running longer WITHOUT repairs.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I have never treated anyone from MB service in a horrible manner. Yes, I would be happier driving a ford focus..What does that have to do with anything. I like the quality of mercedes, that's why i drive them. And a Ford Focus isn't reliable either haha. You are making no sense now whatsoever. My mom has an S class and my Dad has a GS. My mom has had a lot of problems AND has kept up in maintaining the car, my dad has had none. It's about time you stop dissing toyota because in the long run, which car will keep running longer WITHOUT repairs.
Perhaps you use the same logic at the dealership that you use here. It appears that you are quite young and without much experience in life. Go and buy your Ford with your appreciation for quality you might like it better than your MB. Or, better yet go buy a Toyota and park it next to your Dad's car and look at the similarity. You really do not even know what quality and design are all about.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Help - possible blown gasket